Infocus 7210, Yamaha 2600 and sky.. terrible picture?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DrMekon, Dec 27, 2006.

1. DrMekon

DrMekon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Had my PJ for a few months now, and have been blown away with it... watching dvds and hi-def stuff.. stunning...!!

However, Ive recently plugged my sky into it, and lets just say the picture quality is awful, painful to watch.. I would be ashamed if anyone else saw it!

The image is somewhat fuzzy, and you can constantly see horizontal lines, usually around objects that have sudden, or quick movement... its really annoying.. yet the image is flawless with dvds, or contecnt played from pc, so I know the setup does work...

I can only assume it is either the sky signal, or the way its connected up to my receiver, currently via s-video. I have a single hdmi cable output to my pj, and both my pc and dvd are connected via hdmi input.

Now someone has mentioned it sounded like an interlacing problem, but I have scoured the amp, sky box and pj settings to see if I can alter anything to improve the image quality, but nothing... I thought it may have been an upscaling issue, as sky is from an s-video and the output to pj is hdmi, but nothing improves the image.

The yamaha is saying that the video input is 576i and the output is 576p.. which seems little odd... any ideas?? Im not even considering SkyHD, as it is a rip off...!! Too expensive for too little..!!

2. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Get a TV and test the sources

e.g.
    Sky Box to TV
    Sky Box to Amp to TV

Then you can find which device is the culprit.

I ended up using a Scart RGB to SVideo conversion box on mine to improve the noisy, blurry pic. Cost me £40 or something but made a huge difference in quality. There are more quality products like the JS Tech devices too.

Had to make sure that RGB was going over Scart and not composite which us in the Sky box Menu.

Anim

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The Yam is de-interlacing the Sky signal to make it 576p. It's doing this to ensure the signal compatible with the digital input on your projector. Not all display devices can accept 576i via HDMI. DVI connectors often won't accept 576i.

Sky is an awful signal to de-interlace because it uses a weird field sequence. It doesn't help that your amp is deinterlacing and then the pj is scaling. If you can get a long enough cable try connecting Sky directly to the projector and see if that improves things. Just having one lot of processing in the projector might just keep things tidy.

Regards

4. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    SKY used to look terrible on my palsma too but using a JS tech converter helps things enormously. For my plasma this meant an RGB SCART - VGA converter, but there are other possibilities. They frequently come up for sale in the classifieds because they have been so popular.