1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus 7205 vs Sharp xv-z2000

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lrawlinson, Mar 8, 2005.

1. lrawlinson

lrawlinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone provide advice on which projector to purchase between the Infocus 7205 and the Sharp xv-z2000? The room that the projector will be displayed is a dedicated light controled room. There is only a $400 difference in price so this is not an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The 7205 every time !!!

3. lrawlinson

lrawlinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response. From what I read the 7205 sounds great. I only saw the unit briefly (in another city) a couple of months ago in rather poor conditions. I remember the picture being good but the unit was kind of loud. Is this much of a problem???

Have you actually seen the Sharp? A local dealer has one installed and the picture looks really good. But, the specs on the Sharp appear not to be as good as the Infocus.

I'm having a hard time because I can see the Sharp locally but I can only read about the rave reviews of the Infocus.

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The Infocus 7205 has a fan noise which is audible but unintrusive if used with a surround system. Infocus do not release decibel figures for their fan noise unlike most other manufacturers but Sharp's claim of the XV-Z12000 at 32db is probably close to that of the Infocus.
    The demo of the Infocus you saw could have been set to high brightness mode which increases the fan noise considerably. In a darkened Home Cinema, you would want to use only the low brightness mode which produces a better picture and a much quiter fan noise.
    The spinning of the colour wheel is noticeable on the Sharp but not on the Infocus so that may count against the Sharp. In favour of the Sharp is the incredible contrast ratio of a maximum 5500:1 and a brightness of 900 lumens ( but not both at the same time) for maximum contrast, a brightness of 350 lumens is needed. Selecting somewhere in the middle would probably be best.
    The strongest point of the Infocus is the Faroudja de-interlacer which produces stunning images without jagged edges and with smoother motion in moving images.
    At the end of the day, whichever of these two you go for, you'll be blown away. If it were my money though, I'd go for the Infocus. I do think the Sharp is a great pj though and I think the original retail price was close to £7k so if you can buy one for under £5k then seriously consider it.
    But as I always say, DEMO, DEMO, DEMO ! If you can't demo, and you are sure you are not bothered by DLP's rainbow issue, then the choice is really down to you. Both are great.

5. lrawlinson

lrawlinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your help. But for clarification, I'm referring to the Sharp 2000 not the Sharp 12000.

6. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Ooops ! My mistake. But that just confirms my choice even more. The Infocus 7205 is the better projector.

7. scoobdoo

scoobdoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm this is similar to my dilemma, I am tossing between the infocus 5700 (£1990)or a sharp XVZ 2000 (£2677), its about 700 quid more than the infocus 5700, but the quality is meant to be on a par with the infocus 7205 (£3500). Essential Hi-Fi and home cinema gave the sharp rave reviews, said they would not be able to choose between the infocus 7205 or the sharp, the quality of both were brilliant. So with the sharp being £830 cheaper than the infocus I would have the sharp and buy a decent screen with the change.

8. rjgaylord

rjgaylord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the infocus 7205 is totally awesome!! nothing comes close to it's quality. and the price is terrific. i dumped a $27,000 video system for the 7205 which only costs $5000 (now that the 7210 has come out) and i've got a better system now.

only drawback is that analog signals can look pretty awful. but digital signals (either from dvd's or high-def or even standard def) are unsurpassed.

as for noise, there is that but you get used to it and a good surround sound audio covers it completely.

9. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If it's of any help, the new magazine "What Projector" gave both the Sharp models 5 out of 5 editor choice. If you can find the mag, it might give a side by side review?