1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus 7205 - How important will this be?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Wolvreen, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Wolvreen

Wolvreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard it will be priced at GBP 5K.

How will it compare with Yamaha DPX-1100 and Sim2 300 XTRA, both of which are an extra 3K?

2. Wolvreen

Wolvreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not very important by the number of replies, arse!

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not the most "active" part of the market judging by the poll results with most PJ owners spending < £2k.

An interesting development though.

:)

4. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    5K has made me look, where previously I'd dismissed it as only an incremental upgrade over my MT8/7200.

Ian Guinan

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think manufacturers are exploiting this area of the market as there's no way (that I can see) these "exotic" PJs are 5 times more expensive to produce compared to their more affordable stablemates.

Still, prices are going in the right direction ;)

6. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Having seen the inside shots posted of a Sony HS10 (? - might've been you Kramer) my MT8 looks MUCH simpler inside. Price seems to be far more dependent on how much Texas Instruments charge for the DLP chipsets than anything else.

Ian Guinan

7. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Wolvreen,

:) :) :) :)

Having seen this projector running at CEDIA 2004 in the Infocus demo room, i can safely say.... :)

I went to all the stands, looked at all the projectors. Now, i will say that the Sim Demo room, and all other stands i went to were not perfectly set up, a little too much ambient light destroying the contrast, but the Infocus boys were *leagues* ahead of the game, all IMO of course.

The infocus demo room was basically a 1/2 tent. It was pretty dark in there, though there was a small amount of ambient light (they didnt seem to go to the lenghts of Sim to keep light out though). I was told that the screeen used was just some 1.0 gain cheap stuff, no Stewark filmhawk type affair etiher. * see end.

The screen size was approximately 2.5m wide, basically MASSIVE - my kind of size, floor to ceiling, wall to wall!!!. Source material "Malibu beach babes 2004 HDTV" (I kid you not.)

Recently i demod a DLP that supposedly had a 6x (IIRC) colour wheel, the optoma H30. Now i know that these two projectors are in extremely different price brakets, but i had all but ruled out DLP when i demoed the H30, anything closer than 2:1 viwing distance was headache central. The 7205 was watched, mouth wide open from about 0.8:1 at a guess, with a 2.5 metre screen. THATS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!! I could see rainbows, just (and occaisonally), but the shear quality of the image more than surpassed that minor effect, the effect was so far removed from the H30, that i cannot beleive they have a similar speed colour wheel - they must be doing something different...... Anyway ;)

The image from HDTV was spectaular, contrast, brightness, saturation *far* better than any of the offerings from any of the other guys on show, and this was by far the biggest screen attempted there. The other machine they were demoing looked like the head from an alien from aliens, i didnt get the model number, it was a top line 3-chip DLP, i know i cant afford it (£20K), so felt a fool asking :D. IMO the 7205 fared EXTREMLY well against the infocus flagship projector on offer. It wasnt as bright (though it was still damn bright, the other if anything was too bright), and somehow the £20K proj seemed to make the image "3D" (it really was a stunning projector), which the 7205 didnt seem to manage, but my word, for 1/4 the price, the 7205 had to be the victor from a showdown from the 2 purely from a price pov. If you have the £20K, great, if not, you get a LOT for £5K.

Showing PAL material, the projector didnt really shine to anywhere near the same extent, and TBH youd probably be better off with a 7200 (i imagine they will produce a very similar picture- with PAL source, it looked soft, you really were not getting everything from the projector) and waiting for the next batch of DLPs to come to purchase then, *but* if you have access to HDTV material i cannot explain how amazing this projector was in words. Demo it if you have the money, and only if you have the money ;)
    I hope you can tell, seeing this (and the 'alien head' projector) really was the highlight of the show, simply stunning.

HTH,

Stu

* the Stewart screen demo was really amazing, if you can afford it , and you want to project in a amibletn light enviroment, the firehawk was *stunning*, the standard screen literally gave up when the lights were switched on, the firehawk didnt bat an eyelid.

8. flamingoboo

flamingoboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The model number on the 3 chip dlp is "777," I agree whole heartidly with what stu said as I wen't there with him. By the way stu, since our experience with infocus I have purchased an infocus 4800 as a present for my uncle to waatch the footie and some dvd's with. All I can say is I only paid £800 pounds for it and you should go and se one now!!! It really is that good, not a huge image around seven feet across, but on movies I really can't fault it. I have pretty much decided on a 7205.

9. Wolvreen

Wolvreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sim2 do not like the grey screens. They feel they are a gimmick to cash in on DLPs. They recommend 1.0 gain or near. The Sim2's are also not the brightest projectors trying to be more 'filmic'. This is probably why they were more worried about the ambient light at the show.

Infocus have some of the brightest projectors, so I suppose comparing the two must be a little bit difficult.

I am not sure of which pj to go for the Sim2 300 Xtra or the 7205. I normally watch movies (mostly NTSC). Also I was expecting to need low light conditions.

I do want a long throw, quiet operation and the best picture for the money.

Any thoughts?

10. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Wolvreen,

Well i am not sure which sim we looked at, although i i know it had a HD+ chip (I cant even remember if it was 3 chip or not), the contrast just wasnt as good as the infoucs, by a long shot. I Think that it may have been spilt light from the projector hitting the screen, and turning the blacks grey. The 7205 was leagues ahead on the day, and to be honest with you, I really couldnt faulit it given the picture quality / price ratio.

As said though, and i will say it again, if you are not using a HD source, you are really not getting anything near the best use out of the projector, and you may well find a projector at 1/2 the price will produce a similar picture via DVD sources - youll have to do some demoing to decide on that though. There is no doubt that with the 7205 you had to get near, very near the screen to see the DLP elements, and the onboard scaling was doing a sterling job, you really needent bother with an external scaler, i really couldnt faul the 7205's (though flamingbo thought he saw a few jaggies, but hes a real perfectionist).

flamingboo, a few things have come up, so hopefully with a bit of saving i may be able to get a 7205, which would be great :) - it all depends on a few little projects i have running at the moment, although it will be very hard to buy a £5K projector over a nice little convertable..... hmm. That said, these are the sort of decisions i really do like making!!

Stu

11. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    i saw the screenplay 7205 in Sevenoaks Manchester last weekend and was blown away! i just happened to stop in to have a browse and had a quick peak in the demo room. it quite frankly stunned me. i was expecting it to be around £7k+ and feed from a dvi/hdmi based machine but no- a dv27 and a mere £5.5k (i think). its a awesome product for the money and has brought that high end product right within more people's budgets. go see one running yourself and try and keep your credit card in your pocket :smashin:

12. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,671
    I've also seen the Firehawk in deliberately high ambient conditions too, and if you have ambient light problems, this grey screen will give you a detailed picture where a white screen will be barely watchable. They can still help black level if you feel it's needed though. I was as impressed as Stu was when I saw it. :)

If you have full light control, then a 1 to 1.3 will probably fit the bill though, but the Firehawk certainly is an impressive product. I know someone with a Sim2 HT300 who has a Firehawk, and he's extremely happy with it, so in can come down to an individuals personal preferences in what they want from a screen.

Gary.

13. Wolvreen

Wolvreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool info, but ...

What would be the down-side of buying a Firehawk over a standard white screen?

Will the blacks be less black with the same ambient light conditions?

Does it come down to how dark you can make the room (ie if you cant then you buy a grey screen)?

Will the bright 7205 be too bright in a very dark room?

How quiet was the 7205, it will need to be mounted above our heads?

If these sound like newbie questions its because I am.

14. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    mate, i can only offer you advice about 1/4 step above newbie, so if someone like gary overrules me, listen to him ;)

Basically, a decent size firehawk screen is gonna cost money. lots. probably a signifiant %age of the cost of teh projector. You only need firehawk if you want to use your projector in a non light contorlled room. I.e. you have a nice lounge, and like to have spots on and uplighters etc.... In this case, a firehawk will keep the picture looking good despite the light level in the room. The firehawk does change the colour cast of the image, and the gamma noticably a/bing with a 1.0 gain normal screen, though how much of this you can corrrect with projector options is difficutl to tell. I preferred the look of the 1.0 gain screen in light controlled enviroments, BUT when a small bit of light was added, the firehawk STEAMED into the lead, without any form of hesistation.

If you want 'proper' home cinema, IMO, you need a totally dark room, watch at night etc... I find this far more involving. e.g. some films 'cut to black' in certain sections, then flash back, in a light room you think "ooh, the pictures gone black", in a totally dark room you think "****, someone hit the lights..... BLAH damn those zombies" etc... and you have to clean your seats - its far more involving IMO. If I get a 7205 ill get a massive 1.0 gain screen (like 3 metre widescreen, which will only be a few £100 notes) you dont need a higher gain screen, this thing is *bright*.

i didnt notice any fan noise from the 7205, but then again this was in teh middle of a trade show. It certainly doesnt sound like a jet engine, though how it will sound in really quiet ambient conditions, i cant help you there. I will say that not matter how it sounds (and damn fan noise annoys me more than Viccy Butler-henderson), ill put up with it, the picture is that good.

to recap, get a 7205, light control you room, and get some 'cheap' 1.0 gain material - you will not regret it. ONly consider spending £3K+ on a massive firehawk screen if you want to use your proj with the lights on.

HTH bud

Stu

15. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,671
    Da-Lite do a 1.1 gain grey screen, and I believe you can buy the material on it's own if you want to make a DIY screen from wood to save money.

The downside of a Firehawk (and nearly all screens with gain) is that it has a viewing cone - a matt white screen means you will get the same bright reflective image anywhere in the room. A screen with gain will reflect less light at the sides than in the middle, so if you have a row of seats, the seats within the viewing cone (nearer the middle) will get the brightest image, and if anyone sits outside of the cone, they will get a dimmer image the further away they sit. The Firehawk cone is aprox 100 degrees. A white screen is 180 degress.

Any ambient light will reduce contrast and black level, and a grey screen will help regain some of that. Some people simply use Dulux Icestorm 5 or 6 (a light grey paint) on MDF or a wall, and this will help with black level etc, but has less than unity gain - maybe around 0.8, so will reduce brightness of the image which isn't necessarily a good thing with ambient light.

Here's a link to Stewart Screens:

http://www.stewartfilm.com/home_cinema_screens/home_theater_3.html

And a comparison review of Stewart, Da-Lite and Carada:

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/ProjectorScreenReview_02.html

Another link for grey screens:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/white_gray_projection_screens.htm

HTH

Gary.