1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

InFocus 5700 WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by spikerules, Jul 12, 2005.

1. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went down to my local sevenoaks AV shop and had a little gander @ their 5700 and WOW was I impressed! I watched one live action (Die another day) and one animation (The Incredibles) through a DVD player capable of upscanning to 720p through HDMI input. I was in awe when I wacthed the jungle chase scene at the end of 'The Incredibles'. AMAZING!

The sales guy told me that (in his opinion) the toshiba MT700 and BenQ 7700 weren't as good as this PJ and that the Optoma H78 was the best DLP PJ he had ever seen.

Firstly I assume he only said this because A) he has either never seen one B) They don't sell them:) C) He knows what he's talking about.

I know I said that I decided on the BenQ, but now I'm thinking about the Optoma and Infocus 5700 or 7205 and I'm back to square one. Does anyone here think that these three systems are a better choice than the BenQ or Tosh?

PS I only noticed a slight portrayal of the 'rainbow effect' when whites and blacks mixed on a high contrast scenes... so I guess I'm not susceptible to the dreaded effect?

2. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I have a 5700 and I must admit I was exactly the same as you it was WOW ! when I saw it.

I thought it was very clear, great colours and fantastic skin tones. I also had the chance to demo an Optoma H77 at home and felt that the 5700 was better to my eye anyway, sorry Joe ( He loaned me machine for a week ).

My 5700 is for sale just now on these forums for £1275 inc 2 year warranty and P+P - the reason I am selling is that my wife has booked a villa for 2 weeks in August and its costing a fortune so I need to get the projector cleared from my visa bill to lower payments, otherwise I wouldn't be selling it as I think its a great machine.

Feel free to have a look and see what you think, only done about 60 hours on lamp at lower output so good for another 2900 hours or so according to manufacturing specs.

:cool:

3. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Spikerules

You are now suffering the: 'Blimey, projectors are much better than I thought they ever could be' syndrome.

I was blown away by an Optoma H30 over a year ago. It was better than I expected the 720 line projectors to be

I've seen the 5700 at a Sevenoaks and it was very good. I saw the 7205 there as well, and that was better. I saw an early H77, which had the severe clayface problems (rectified in the H78), but the blacks on that were unbelievable.

My personal thoughts, having seen the above and read quite a lot are:

If you want DVD resolution (ie no scaling and hence less artefacts), the three to look at are:

Misibushi HC900/Optoma H57/Infocus 5700

They all seem to be very good machines, and from the reviews I've read I'd go for the Mits (better contrast ration, very versatile, though a tad noisy (as is the Infocus)) which is also the cheapest at around £1,350 if you check some of our advertisers here (interestingly the Sevenoaks I was at slagged off Optoma, because they didn't stock em).

If you want your machine HD ready and able to upscale to 720 and also want to come in under £2k then you're looking at:

Benq PE7700/Toshiba MT700 and maybe Sharp XV2000 if you can get a deal on it.

Now I've read that the Sharp is comparable with the Infocus 7205 - it's also substantially cheaper. I've also read that the Benq is on a par with the Sharp and is again substantially cheaper. Go figure!

In my mind I'm preparing for HD broadcasts from Sky in the short term (early 06) and then the BBC. I'm also looking forward to HDDVD and Bluray (720 lines) in 2006. I figure I'll have a projector for 5 years, so I should consider this.

The Benq is still an absolute steal by the way, and it's very unlikely the Sevenoaks man has even seen one.

View if you can, I say.

Squibbly

4. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Can I ask why you are upscaling the signal to 720? I thought it would have been better to maintain the native aspec ratio of the projector.

5. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Squibbly,

I want a HD PJ and I want one by November (actually I want one NOW - hehe) as I've mentioned to you before, however, as you know from my previous topics I want a good PJ for good money and as you are also aware, unfortunately they are hard to come bye. I phoned few places and all say that the BenQ has been delayed time and time again. I would also prefer a PJ that is easy to come bye and easy to maintain.

For the above reasons I have decided to up my budget to around £3k and try and get a deal on the new Optoma H78. Sevenoaks do interest free deals and can get one in to order no problem. However, if someone knows of any better deals, please feel free to tell me:)

6. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because the DVD's native resolution 480i is not as good visually as 720p. The difference in quality was astounding!

7. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Stripe

The HD projectors mentioned (Benq PE7700/Toshiba MT700/Infocus 7205) have a native resolution of 720 lines (1280x720 pixels). Thus, when connected to a PAL DVD player (570 lines), you can either upscale the signal in the DVD player (if it has one) to 720 lines or in the projector (which does have one). Usually, you'll choose the better of the two scalers.

With the PAL resolution projectors both the DVD player and projector are 570 lines (1024x570 pixels), thus there is no upscaling required.

Spikerules

I thought Pixmania had the Tosh MT700 in stock for £1650. Someone wrote about getting one there the other week. They're virtually the same, although the US site (www.avsforum.com) has a lot of people complaining about the bulb on them exploding after less than 200 hours. There may be a design fault in the bulbs they've used in the first batch - actually I think the bloke who bought in the UK had a bulb in the first one he bought die on him, too.

I would imagine that Benq's are in short supply cos they're all getting shipped to the US. Check the huge thread over on the US site. There are a lot of happy shoppers and only the odd unhappy one, which is a good sign.

I think the Optoma H78 looks like an excellent machine and sounds like it outperforms the Benq, however it is £2000 more expensive, which is far too big a hike in my opinion. Quite lot of people are expecting/hoping the price of this to drop in the next few months.

Also, if you're desperate get over to NexNix and get someone to demo you the Sharp XV2000. They're doing a price match. It should be available for £2300 or less from what I've seen. S'posed to be good if you're desperate.

Squibbly

I'm gonna go for the Benq in August/September.

8. Penfold73

Penfold73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    That's crap. PAL DVD's have a native vertical resolution of 576 lines. You are confusing the US NTSC specification with European PAL standards. The Mattahorn DLP chip in the Infocus Screenplay 5700 was designed specifically to match the native resolution of PAL material. Upscaling to 720p and subsequent downscaling to 576p can only result in a loss of quality.

9. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry you're right. I assumed most people here are from the US, but I see there is a US forum too. UK PAL standard is 625 with 50lines in blanking with a line period of 64 micro seconds... I know what I'm saying... really:)

PS The 5700 wasn't doing the work of upscaliing the Marantz DVD player took that responsibility.

10. Penfold73

Penfold73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Understood (I assumed the DVD player was upscaling and the projector susequently downscaling). Good to hear you liked the 5700, have you compared it to a 720p LCD? A lot of people think the 5700 beats the pants off them (better ANSI and on/off contrast being more important than the gain in resolution). It's making me think seriously about getting one, especially with some of the web prices for the 5700 at the mo.

11. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Penfold73,

I do like it and I would get it if I were not thinking about future proofing with a HD ready PJ. Therefore it would seem that my best choices would have to be the Infocus 7205, Tosh M700, BenQ 7700 and Optoma H78, the latter of which is owned by someone I work with.

However, as with all mid-top range Home cinema equipment the price is the first consideration and if I could get a BenQ 7700 for £2k less than the Optoma H78, that would be the most ideal solution for me.

What would be even more ideal would be a Blu-Ray player/recorder free of charge :smashin:

Edit - I own a 1080i Philips 32PF9975 LCD flat panel and I woudl have to say that a PJ would beat a flat panel hands down after the 5700 demo. However, if you're talkig about LCD PJ's then I wouldn't know... I aint seen one and I wouldn't know? Have you seen any?

12. jonrud

jonrud
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi I have had my 5700 for about a year now and I cant see what spending more money is going to get you. The 5700 is faultless so dont keep wondering about it just go for it you wont be disapointed I can assure you :smashin: .

One vvery happy 5700 owner :clap: .

Jon..................

13. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon,

I want to have a HD ready set for the early adoption of HD by Sky next year. I also require a PJ that will playback the Xbox 360 formats of 720p & 1080i.

If the 5700 was HD Ready it would be in my bedroom by now:)

14. Penfold73

Penfold73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah spike I currently have a Sanyo Z2 after having RBE problems with an X1. With a good upscaled digital source the Z2 definitely has the edge in pic quality over the X1. But with a faster colour wheel and more resolution than the X1, I can't help feeling the 5700 would be a lot better than a Z2. I much prefer the film-like picture quality of DLP and if I can get over the RBE it's the way I will go. The BenQ 7700 is also great value and, as you say, is hi-def ready so it's also a real consideration too.

15. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Penfold73,

So you see my dilemma! I've now dropped the 5700, BenQ 7700 and Toshiba MT700 off my lists. You already know the reason for the 5700, but the BenQ and Toshiba have had some poor reviews on the forums (some very good too) but the Optoma and Infocus have all had positive feedback and seem the best choices for me.

Unfortunately they also cost more :confused: which means I'm going to have to spend a little more each month (on top of already massive DD bills each month) to get my ideal PJ :nono: I think I need to find some bargains and fast because I want a PJ and I want one NOW :mad:

16. Penfold73

Penfold73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    One thing I've become very wary of is the rapid price depreciation in the more expensive models. I'd be much more tempted by the BenQ/Tosh for that reason. There is a review here comparing the H78 to the 7700:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/review.asp?reid=43&page=2

...but subsequent reading on avsforum (the US forum) has indicated that the reviewer is an Optoma dealer and people have pointed out several flaws in his methodology. A case of either conscious or unconscious bias it seems. Also the 7700 is selling a lot more units than the H78 so there will naturally be more people with problems with 7700s than H78s as there simply are more people with 7700s. I'm going to try and see both at some point and make sure they are both set up in order to make a fair comparison.

17. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Penfold73,

Please keep me posted if and when you see both PJ's! I've had a real problem locating the 7700, but I know that I can get my hands on a H78 if and when I have the money:) As you seem to know what you're talking about it would be very interesting to see your interpretations on both systems and what you think I should go for.

At the moment it seems to be a waiting game when it comes to the 7700... if you find any retailers please keep me informed!

18. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Penfold 73

Just had a look at that link to the H78 vs BenQ7700. What you probably know already but I'll just make it clear is that comparison is made with the US H78 with the DC3 chip and not the UK H78 with the HD2+ chip. The US H78DC3 is very likely to be better because it is using the newer DC3 Darkchip.

The difference between the BenQ7700 and UK H78 both using the same Hd2+ is likely to be a lot less. £2000 price gap????

I too am waiting to upgrade but when you can buy a H78DC3 in the US for around £2200 it really does make the UK H78, price frozen at £3500 very bad value.

My upgrade to the BenQ, looks inevitable unless Optoma can get realistic with prices very soon.

19. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zag,

I think maybe we should start a petition and get Optoma to take note of the fact that the H78 is not very good value for money, especially considering that the UK version uses older technology (I didn't know that - thanks!). This seems to be Unacceptable IMO and we need to let them know :nono:

20. Penfold73

Penfold73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Very valid point Zag and I agree completely about UK prices on the H78. If you bought one, never opened the box and put it straight up for re-sale you'd lose about £1500, a good indication of what people really think it's worth.

21. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The question arises that if this is a "valid point" why don't we try and do something about it? We should boycott Optoma until they reconsider their prices! We UK folk always seem to get the shgort end of the stick when it comes to electronics x-prices :nono:

22. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Penfold73,

An Optoma H78 that was only 2 weeks old was auctioned on ebay recently. The highest bid was £1510.

Foghorn

23. Penfold73

Penfold73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah I saw that one foghorn, I also think the same guy tried to sell it here first but couldn't generate much interest. I felt very sorry for him, he really had to take a hit.

Spike, I suppose we could, but I dunno if they'd listen...

24. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    foghorn,

Why was he getting rid of it??

25. Penfold73

Penfold73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    RBE apparently, he had a big problem with it.

26. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW he should've thought about that before he bought!

27. jonrud

jonrud
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    I cant see how you can say the 5700 is not hd ready as when sky send out the first lot of boxes they will have components connection on board.

Jon........

28. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Spikerules

Very good idea on the petition but I don't think Optoma would take note. Only when dealer stock stops shifting will they do anything about it. Going off topic here a bit.... but with the Home Cinema Magazines only getting round to reviewing the Uk H78 now the less informed and better off consumer will consider the H78 a bit of a bargain. Especially when compared with the price of the S4.

To be fair to Optoma they are not the only guilty PJ manufacturer. There are plenty of other overpriced models out there when you consider the bang for buck the BenQ 7700 offers.

29. johnnyhaynes

johnnyhaynes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony VPL-HS50 . Would the H78 be a significant improvement over the Sony?

30. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you probably know sky have changed their minds a few times on the tech spec of HD in the UK, which means they are likely to do it again! Also PS3 will have dual HD 1080p HDMI outputs! If you're going to buy a product, buy one with HDCP HD ready sticker, just to make sure!

Plus, call me silly but wouldn't a HD signal coming from a digital source be better through a HDMI (HDCopyrightP on sky box) digitaly native connection??