Infocus 5700 - would like one but room's a bit small?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mkjustuk, Oct 27, 2005.

1. mkjustuk

mkjustuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have a room in my new house which is to become a dedicated cinema. I will be using M&K K17s, K4s and a VX760 for the audio side of things with a self-made fixed screen. For the projector I would like a 5700 but the room is a little small offering only 10 foot from front of projector to screen.

According to the calcs this will give an image in the region of 56" with the zoom at full which is fine (to be honest a 50" diag would be enough for that room) as I am after quality of image not a massive image.

So, will the 5700 be ok in that size of room or would I be better looking at another model better suited to just a 9-10' throw?

A secondary question is will the image display properly if I build a ceiling-height shelf and sit the projector on it the right way up? I would ideally like the top of the image to start 2-3' from the ceiling.

2. Penfold73

Penfold73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    A Panasonic AE900 sounds like the projector for you. Huge zoom range (you can get a 99'' diagonal 16:9 image from 10') and smoothscreen will help out with SCE. It's also got the fastest iris of the new batch and some very good reviews so far. That's what I'd go for if I were you.

3. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    If you interested in a DLP with a resolution of 1024 X 576 (same as the 5700) you could consider the Sharp Z201E this is a short throw projector which should give you 6 - 7 foot screen size at a throw of 10 feet.

The other good thing is that this projector was selling for just under £3000 not that long ago and can now be picked up for as little as £725.

Foghorn

4. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Interestingly the reason I ended up with a Screenplay 7200 rather than a 5700 was that the latter would not give me the 7' screen size that I wanted due to the throw. Basically I ended up paying slightly less for my 7200 and in the process gaining in terms of native resolution, though I would be interested to compare mine to a 7205 and 7210 with their superior electronics.

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    i wouldnt worry so much about how far the PJ to screen is as much as i would how far YOU are to the screen..lol

if you will be sitting approx 10ft away as well, then you can put up a 70in screen if you like....im around 11ft from mine i think and its 86in and very comfortable to watch..

i have a 7205, its 1280x720 res (HD in other words) and its a lovely picture, very enjoyable, very cinematic :)
    even works well for watching TV on.....altho that canes the bulb tho...lol

(u can get that PJ from sevenoaks for around £2700 with a 3 year Gold Warranty, its a refurbished model, so not brand new, but the upside is the warranty, its not one of those send it back and we repair it free, its a next business day replacement warranty with another refurb........and if that price is stretching your budget then just use their 12 month interest free plan, put as much as possible up as the deposit, say £1,500 or £2,000, then pay the rest at the end of the 12 months period :)

6. mkjustuk

mkjustuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks all appreciate the feedback.

The Sharp looks good, very impressive throw range but I am not sure how this would compare to a 5700 (a few of which I have seen in action) quality-wise, has anyone done a side by side?

I will indeed be sitting as far back as possible (so around 10') with the projector above me.

Will the 7205/7210 offer a better result over the 5700 other than the larger size of image, again anyone done a side by side?

As I say, a screen size of 60-70" would be plenty for the size of the room and how far away we will be sitting etc.

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    just checked, 7205 gives minimum 67in at 10ft.....

if you are sitting similar distance you will like that :)

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    oh, but check to see if you suffer rainbow effect first by demoing one...lol

9. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    i have checked the 7205 vs a 5700, not side by side, but at the same time....and tbh its worth doing, especially if you do the plan i suggest with the Gold Warranty (that is as far as i know only available from Sevenoaks tho, other refurb offers are just a 2 year warranty i think..)....oh remember tho, the bulb isnt warrantied for longer than 500hrs/3 months, whichever comes first.

the biggest part is that the image quality is better by enough just about to justify the cost nowadays (back when the 7205 was released i wouldnt have said it was worth it as it was much more expensive) but also that its HD resolution, so when HD becomes more available, or if you wanna hook up a HD computer/console signal then you are laughing :)

10. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    just tried checking the sevenoaks website but its unavailable so im guessing they are redoing all their prices etc......should be interesting....heh, u might get a 7205 for £1,500 refurb....LOL...somehow i dont think it will be quite that good a discount yet..heh

11. mkjustuk

mkjustuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Great, thanks for all the help, would I be right in assuming that people who suffer Rainbow would suffer on a 5700 as they would on a 7200/7205/7210 is there a change in the 5-7 series that may alter this?

12. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    if you are heavily susceptible then it probably wont make a massive difference, if you only see the odd few on the 5700 then the 7205 should eliminate a lot of them....

personally i only see them when i try and force them, this can be done by watching the image on screen that has some contrasting items (ie something very bright and shiny against a darker background, not just a black and white movie, odd as it sounds they dont produce so many rainbows as pure bright over dark colour does) and then look left and right very rapidly, make sure to move your vision at least a metre or two past the edge of the screen, then back across the screen to a metre or two past the other edge....then even if you dont suffer with them normally you should see the effect...(you do need to move your eyes quickly tho)

but as i say, if the 5700 shows only the odd few then you will probably be more or less ok with the 7205 as its got a better colour wheel..

13. mkjustuk

mkjustuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have checked with a friend in the business and he can get me a factory repaired/refurbed 7205 with a new bulb for £1850 all in. This is obviously a great deal but should I be wary of refurb projectors?