1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus 5700 - why doesn´t the image fill the thrown image!?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by keyser, Nov 12, 2003.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just got an infocus 5700, and the image from my dvd(and the test patterns from the projector) don´t fill up the image that the projector throws, there is about an 1-2" black border around everything. Has anyone heard of this before?

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,670
    I'm wondering if it's light spill - some older pjs allowed light to spill beyond the image border, so maybe that's happening. I would'nt have thought so though, as it's a new projector.

Have you tried setting the white and black levels using a test disk? You may have the brightness too high perhaps.

Some DVDs don't always fill the screen, but on a tv, the built in overscan hides it. With a pj, you'll see the border. In your case, I don't suspect that if you get it even with the pjs own test patterns.

Gary.

3. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Is there a box ticked for 'Overscan'..untick it and see if that helps.

Ian Guinan

4. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The overscan is checked to "off".

5. krl25sc

krl25sc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed the same thing when I home demo'd the 5700 last weekend - interested to know the answer too - I'll ask my dealer today.

6. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    krl25sc,

It would be great if you could post what they say here ASAP.

7. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Definitely, I have the same thing on my 5700. It gets cast on to the black masking !?

8. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What the heck.. isn´t this a major fault? Why haven´t I heard of this before.. in ANY reviews!? I didn´t buy the 7200 partly because there´s a barrell distortion... but this is no better, worse if anything.

9. Ricco

Ricco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like Gary mentioned, this is light spill.
    The problem is unique to DLP units.
    I've heard it said that the problem is the design of the original (Cheaper) DMD chips which reflects the overspill of light giving you this border.
    I've also heard that this can be down to the type of lens used.
    I beleive it is down to the DMD though as I can't see manufacturers all using the same lens? Might be wrong though.

Keyser, I don't think you will be able to do anything about it as the manufacturers / TI will say this is a feature.

Best of luck anyway.

10. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I´m in shock. From the number of reviews I´ve read I just can´t believe that noone has mentioned this.. and not even on the forums. The 7200 barrell distortion has been discussed enough, but not this?

I can´t believe I´m gonna relive my Toshiba TV experience(after researching for 1 1/2 years). Where it got rave reviews, but was loaded with faults that somhow failed to be mentioned(but were later on the forums) and I returned the set.

11. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Honestly this is not an issue.

If you've ever seen a DLP projector of any description you've already seen this light spill without realising it. When projected onto a screen with a black border it becomes unnoticeable.

The image you are seeing is a reflection from the DLP chip. The light portion of the screen is reflected from the micromirrors on the chip, the darker grey is from the silicon or chip mounting surrounding the mirrors. Texas have gradually improved the darkness of this spill by coating the surrounding of the mirrors with dark less reflective material, but some reflection still occurs.

If you think it is bad now you should have seen the spill on the earlier 800x600 chips!

Projecting an image on a wall is a good way of seeing the other lighter areas surrounding the actual image and is one of the reasons we all try and frame our images with dark surrounds.

I moved from a Sim2 200DM to a Toshiba MT8 and this is one of the main areas I saw improvement.

Ian Guinan

12. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I´ve never seen a DLP before.. I bought the projector without evern having seen it (haven´t found a store in Iceland with DLP demos), but I have NEVER heard any mention of this in all the website and forum reviews I´ve read on the 5700. But they have praised it for it´s perfect geometry etc.

Luckily I´m buying a screen with borders(permascreen deluxe - proojecta), but the 1-2" lightspill might even going beyond that, I don´t know how large the borders are.

It would atleast be nice to get an confimation from Infocus that this is indeed lightspill, not pixels that aren´t beying used(since the area is black, I can´t tell if there are pixels or not).

13. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The border on nearly all screens or larger than 2".

So you won't have overspill.

14. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Some have reported that they have none of this black border/light spill syndrome on their IF 5700.. is it possible that my PJ is faulty or have the others somehow failed to notice this?

and also Ian,

are you saying that this is because the light from the screen reflects back to the lense and causes this. That would mean that size of this border should change as I angle the projector up or down shouldn´t it? The light that hits the lense would surely change?

15. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I mentioned earlier that I have this light spill, but its so faint that I don't notice it in normal viewing. Indeed, I only spotted it when I was messing around with the keystone. It has no affect on the overspill and this just struck me as odd. I understand now why this is, but it in no way intrudes on my viewing pleasure. It doesn't spill past the 2" borders on my screen so is near invisible in normal use.

16. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Keyser,

Sorry you misunderstand me because of how I've phrased it. All I was saying is that the light thrown on the screen consists of a reflection from the mirrored portion of the chip, and a less bright surrounding area reflected from the dark surround of the DLP chip....I've probably confused you even more now ;)

Ian Guinan