1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus 5700 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by marck, May 10, 2004.

1. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am thinking about purchasing my first project in the coming months and I have read that the new versions of the DLP projectors are soon to be released - the Infocus 7200's replacement is out already (7205).

Does anyone know when the 5700's replacement will be announced and what the specs, price etc will be?

Also, would there be any others that would be worth demo'ing in that price bracket - I really would like to keep to a £3k budget.

Lastly, would it be better to wait until end of year / beginning of 2005 to see the true advancements in the DLP market?

Sorry for all the questions...

Cheers
    Marck.

2. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bump for the morning...

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    Don't bother waiting, that's a fools game, by 2005 there will be talk of 3 chippers for £5k and 5000:1 single chip units for your £3k and then you will be waiting another 12 months for them to arrive.

I would look at what is around now and just go for one, I am getting some pretty impressive images from a BenQ 8700+ and that is coming from a CRT.

4. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That is always an issue - if you wait just another 6 months then it will always be just a few more months!

The only thing that I am interested in is the new DLP technology - the prices for the current models have recently dropped quite a lot - 5700 by £300, 7200 by £1500 at Hifibitz. Hence the wait a bit longer...

5. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Do you have a dedicated Ht room with full light control. If so I would certainly add the Sim 2 Domino and the NEC 1100 to your list as these always get rave reviews. If not, then the brightness advantage of the Infocus might just swing it - it did for me, and I'm very very happy with the result.
    BTW, looks like a really great audio setup you have there.

6. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I do have a dedicated home cinema room - it has one window, but with a blackout blind. There are two doors which make the room not completely blacked out, but it is pretty dark - so will add the two projectors that you mentioned to my list. What are your feelings towards the new DLP projetors?

I am very happy with the audio set-up - it has taken me many years to get to this position - and even watching films on my 36inch Panasonic TV is still great - but obviously the improvements having a projector speaks for itself - especially considering the processor capabilities when running component.

Cheers
    Marck

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The InFocus 7205 is due out because of Texas Instruments new HD2+ DLP chip replacing the HD2 (this is the chip with 1280 x 720 resolution). So Toshiba MT8 goes to MT800, ProjectionDesign didn't change model no. but changed spec, Sharp Z10000 will be replaced by the Z12000, BenQ 8700 becomes 8705 etc etc.

If you can stretch your £3k a little more you can get into NEC HT1100 and Sim2 - these are amongst the best non-HD2 DLPs

8. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I find all the new DLP to be really immersive, with a truly filmic quality that I simply couldn't get from LCD (I had a Panasonic PTAE100).
    To be honest, they are all so good, I wouldn't put off the purchase, just see a few then take the plunge. It will bring your home cinema to new levels of involvement

9. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reposnses guys - I will start to look at getting some demos booked...

Cheers
    Marck.

10. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Marck,

Do keep in mind that Benq 8700+ can be had for less than 3k here and that is for the new HD2+ chip dlp. It's at least 1.5k to nearest HD2+ competitor.

Not only do Gizraloc think that it has a great picture, but in avsforum the pj is now in both over and under $3500 sections, so a super dlp for a super low price.

Unfortunately Benq is under represented here, only 2 owners as I am aware, as Benq pj hardly market themselves here, compared to Infocus, Optoma, NEC etc, hence my advice to check the US forum, as there are hundreds of owners there supporting it as the best value for money HD2 pj.

Also the favorite pj in a big 13 pj shootout recently.
    thread

I hope you have it in mind when you demo your chosen pj's ;p

Wasabi

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    I don't think HD2 chip is beinng replaced with HD2+. TI will still be doing HD2 chipsets I think.

Gordon

12. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I will definitely bear it in mind....

Does anyone have anymore information on the Infocus 5700 replacement model?