1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

infocus 5700 Colour wheel Noise on PAL discs

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pdbriggs, Feb 5, 2005.

1. pdbriggs

pdbriggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I brought the 5700 projector in November and recently mounted it on the ceiling. I then started to notice that the colour wheel was really noisy when watching PAL discs, I have one NTSC disc and when I played that the colour noise faded and I could not hear it above the fan noise.

I sent the projector back to in focus and they replaced the wheel and sent in back in about a week.(good turn around)

I now have the projector back and although the wheel is slightly less noisy I can still here is above the fan noise. Its like a hum hum hum hum noise, as when i put the NTSC disc in its more constant and blends in with the fan noise and thus disappears into the fan noise.

I would like to hear other users who have a 5700, at the moment i think i will ask them to repair it again.. I can sort of live with it this time (however spending 2000 grand on a PJ I don't think I should live with this noise at all.)

I should just hear the fan noise and that’s it at least if the noise was constant it would blend in, but it’s a like a resonating hum hum sound. It is better than before though.

By the way I sit at least 12ft away from the pj, am I expecting too much? Are my expectations too high?

Is there any thing I can do to reduce the noise?

Apart from this issue, the PJ is fantastic! I used to watch films on my 32 widescreen, now I can only watch films on the PJ... This is why I don't want to keep sending it back and forth to Infocus. agghhh.

regards,

Paul
    Burgess Hill
    Sussex

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Paul

The colour wheel runs at different speeds with PAL & NTSC material, slower with PAL at 50Hz. Some audio frequencies build up in the room depending on the dimensions, where you sit, where the projector is etc.

Also at certain colour wheel speeds, it may cause other parts of the projector to resonate and increase the overall noise level. I have had the same issues with 5700 and 7205 projectors.

Jeff :rtfm:

3. pdbriggs

pdbriggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does sound a lot more noticeable when mounted on the ceiling. I wonder if i loosen the screws a bit if it will be less noisy.. I may have a go.

I think I will try it on my cabinet again, and may have to resort to puting up on a large shelf and not ceciling mounting it... It is certainly less noticable than when i first had it and they did replace the wheel.

Is there anything else I could try...

regards,

Paul.

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Paul,

Don't loosen those screws too much.
    We don't want it landing on your head :D

Shelf mounting is a bit tricky with the 5700 as there's no lens shift.

Jeff :rtfm:

5. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Could try some rubber washers (e.g. tap washers) either side of the mouting bracket on each screw (i.e. one between projector and bracket, and one between screw head and bracket).

6. jonrud

jonrud
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi I had the same problem with my 5700 infocus told me it was a known problem that when some of the 5700 were mounted upsidedown on the ceiling it became noisey. Mine was perfect right side up. I complained to Sevenoaks who got on to their suppliers who replaced it. All I hear now is a slight fan noise, as this a a known issue If I were you I would contact your dealer. I brought mine in August and they changed it in December. Best of luck.