1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus 5700 "blocky dark scenes"

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dodgey, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks, I have a Screenplay 5700 connected to a Harmon Kardon dvd30 via component leads, running progressive.

Overall the quality is amazing but there is one hitch I've noticed here and there and it worries me greatly.

In very dark scenes the very dark bits go all motionless and blocky - i.e. dark surrounding backgrounds of pitch black can look like solid objects until there is significant movement on screen. Upon inspection , the easiest way to describe it, is that the really black backgrounds, go darker than black. i.e. a man in a black shirt will have very dark grey arms in reality, but the black background of the night will be pure black, and motionless and a bit blocky.

It only ever shows up in really dark scenes with little light. The artifacty result reminds me of watching over compressed DVIX movies - but this is only applicable to very dark scenes. (I am of course talking about DVD playback here!)

Any ideas? does it sound like my player, or the scaler or similar in the PJ?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have you calibrated the projector? One possiblity is that 'Brightness' is too low, meaning you're clipping black levels.

3. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Are you outputting a progressive signal from the DVD player? If so, go into the menu and turn off the progressive output ( use interlaced mode), then let the superb de-interlacer within the 5700 do rest.It is a Faroudja and is far better than those found in most DVD players under £600. I think you may find the problem is solved!!!

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Either that or the quality of the DVD you are viewing is not that good. Blocking in dark areas can sometimes be the result of a bad transfer to DVD.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sounds like it could be posterisation, a known DLP artifact..... have you tried te projector with a different source, different leads to see if you can identify which component is causing the effect ?

Sean G.