1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

InFocus 5700 and Sky+ niggle...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PJnewbie, Apr 19, 2004.

1. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have my Sky+ box connected to my projector by connecting an RGB SCART lead to the digibox and connecting that to a D5 component cable into the projector.

Picture is good, but I have noticed that when I am viewing the TV guide or indeed whenever there is some kind of graphical banner/caption on the screen, every 10 seconds or so the image "judders" a bit, i.e. shakes a bit to the left, almost like when you wiggle an aerial lead but less obvious.

Does anyone know if this is likely to be the digibox playing up a tad, or the way I have it connected to the PJ? It is not a huge problem, just a bit annoying. The best way to see it is to leave the TV Guide onscreen for 30 secs or so.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. markwww673

markwww673

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I get the same using a s-vhs connection to video 4 or 5. Especiaaly bad on sky news & sky sports news. I think its the ticker tape type display on those channels coursing the farouja circuit a few probs. Static picks e.g picyure setup/tv guide are fine.

Picture from normal viewing looks good and easier than rgb for me as I can feed rgb to the rgb switch box and occationally sky viewing (the football) via the sky+ s-vhs out both at the same time

marcus

3. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night I tried various things to see if I could solve this juddering/flickering issue. I tried S-Video instead of Component, and also tried connecting the digibox to a CRT TV instead of the PJ (via RGB Scart).

With the TV there was zero flickering, but there was still flickering with the S-Video connection to the PJ, even on static pages such as the TV Guide. It is every few seconds and is quite annoying really. I experimented with watching a static DVD screen e.g. menu/title and it was 100% flicker free so it is definitely a PJ-digibox issue.

Does anyone have any ideas? It cannot be the PJ bulb/lamp as this would affect the DVD as well, and it cannot be solely the digibox as this would also show the flickering on the TV. It must be something about the two together, and it happens with both component (D5) and S-Video connections the same.

Help!!

Many thanks all!

4. docfeelgood

docfeelgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes.. I get the same effect.

I think it's a Sky+ thing.

High quality from Pace ;)

The picture is soft too.... normal Sky box gives a sharper picture.

regards

Doc

5. docfeelgood

docfeelgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's not the PJ... so don't worry.

6. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    docfeelgood,

Do you use the 5700 to and does it flicker loads, like every 10 seconds even on TV Guide etc.?

Cheers!

7. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have observed some focus uniformity problems on Sky+ too, if you look at say the footie league tables on 408 (Sky Sports Xtra), the top and bottom are blurry compared to the middle say.

Do you get this? It happens on the PJ and CRT TV the same so must be Sky related...

8. docfeelgood

docfeelgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PJnewbie...

I get the flicker on the menus etc (exactly as you described - jumps to the left slightly) on my Panasonic TV via RGB scart.

It's also plugged into my HS20 via S-video. I'll check tonight if I get the same effect on that.

I have not noticed the picture jumping though... only the menus etc - as you mentioned. Probably another SKY+ bug.

So long as it doesn't make me footy and movies jump/flicker - I'm okay with it.

I guess the good news is that it is not your 5700 doing this.

regards
    :)
    Doc

9. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    docfeelgood,

Thanks for this. Odd that you can observe it on a TV, when mine is rock solid and flicker free when connected via RGB to my Sony telly.

I get the effect with the PJ with both S-Video and Component, but tonight I will try connecting an older non-Sky+ decoder to the PJ and see if it still flickers.

To be honest, seeing the flicker on the actual picture is very hard to spot, but on the menus etc. is very obvious.

Cheers again, I wonder if anyone else has observed this?

10. magreen

magreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me Too!
    All connections from SKY+ to my Screenplay 4800 cause the judder, don't see it on the telly, nor via any other source to projector. Definately the SY+ box.

Has anyone got a solution to this??????