1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

InFocus 5700 advice please!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PJnewbie, Aug 12, 2003.

1. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to this but have just ordered my InFocus Screenplay 5700 DLP PJ and now I need to think about the following:

(1) Screen. I want a fixed frame 8ft wide screen, and I hear that a high contrast screen is best for this PJ. Any suggestions? I guess I want a cheaper alternative to the Stewart Greyhawk.

(2) I don't wish to ceiling mount, so figured one of those Unicol trolley/stands would suffice. Does anyone know which version I should order?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can't help you on screen, but I really would urge you to reconsider ceiling mounting, unless it is completely out of the question - it just works so much better - having it on a trolley means A) heads can get in the way B) it's closer to you and therefore any fan noise is more apparent C) you end up having to use lots of keystone correction, which is never ideal.

3. venkman

venkman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Great choice of projector! I just got my SP5700 yesterday and so far it is fantastic! Even Sky digital through the RGB scart adaptor looks great. Far better than the HS10 I had before. Only negative point is that the colour wheel seems to be quite noisy on mine - makes a high pitched whine. I'd be interested to know how loud yours is when you get it.

Regarding positioning, I would also advise you to mount the pj on the ceiling; the 5700 has an image offset of 33%, so you are likely to need to sit the pj low on your trolley. This combined with the relatively long throw needed means you are likely to have things in the way.

I also was looking for a fixed screen, but they were all a bit pricey. In the end I made a fixed screen for mine using mdf / blackout material and it works very well. However, I think the pj would benefit from a grey screen and may get some material from harkness hall in the future. Have a look on their site - http://www.harknesshall.com/ - they do a grey material. Someone more knowledgeable than myself may be able to help more about screens.

4. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys - will consider ceiling mounting once I am sure the PJ is ok - I am one picky sod!

venkman: I will let you know about the whine when I get mine - I know it is not uncommon, but it also seems to vary quite a lot from unit to unit, so I will PM you when I have roadtested it. Glad you are pleased with it - I too used to have an HS10.

Thanks again.

5. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    As a matter of interest, how much you both pay for your 5700 ?

6. venkman

venkman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I paid £2740 for mine. Think I could have got it down a bit more if I had shopped around more, but it was a local supplier that gave me that price. I would rather buy locally instead of on the internet - no having to send parcels etc if there is a problem.

Anyone worried about the lower resolution of this pj compared to lcds like the HS10 should go and see one. Sitting less than 1.5x screen width I can see no screendoor. Colours are excellent, although the picture was a bit green out of the box. Blacks and shadow detail could be improved, but it still seems to be better than the cinema that I saw Terminator 3 in. Detail / sharpness is pretty good, and the picture is remarkably noise free; and this is just from Sky - the movie channels in particular look very good. I can't wait to try a better source - I want to get a dvi dvd player and will probably wait until September for the Samsung 935 – 576p via DVI…

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    My local dealer has one on permanent display for demo.

At first I wasn't really taken with it as it's DLP, but the more times I saw it, about 5 times in all:rolleyes: , the more impressed I became with it.

There may be hope forr me and DLP yet.

I'm trying to train myself not to see rainbow. Getting there.:rolleyes:

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    You can make your own fixed frame from wood, anglue/screw it together, then stretch and staple either blackout cloth (cheap from any good curtain shop) or proper screen material from Harkness hall, DRC or elliie.com and then just hang it on the wall.

Quite a few of us have done this and as it's the frames that cost the most money, you can save a packet.

I have some pics on my website of my screen frame and blackout cloth (now using 1.2 gain material).

HTH

Gary.

9. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have PM'ed you regarding the colour wheel whine on my SB5700, as promised...

Cheers mate.