1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus 4805 What Dvd player to buy/use??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by straitsman1, Sep 20, 2005.

1. straitsman1

straitsman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all. Having bought a Infocus 4805....i really could do with advice/recommendations on what £250ish Dvd player to buy.....especially if you have this pj......maybe a high quality component player???...or a budget HDMI player..????.....i simply want the "best" picture....even if thats a component connection...Many thanks...Barry

2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    ah why not, i'll stir up some controversy - If you have a half decent PC, this will be better and more useful than a DVD player :) These days you can built a half decent one for £200 if you have an OS and a spare case/psu lying about!

3. straitsman1

straitsman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the suggestion.....Using a Pc is not an option i wish to use in this case.Barry

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    well, its a good projector so deserves a good image.....prolly best to check out the Denons and Pioneers at the price point......mebbe the Panasonics as well.....those 3 seem to lead the field mostly.......

i would say its best to demo them, that way you can see how they sound as well as look (i assume you have a surround sound setup?). no point buying a DVD player with good picture but crap sound....lol

my setup is higher in the price range than where you looking, but i can vouch for Denon being a good solid natural picture, and well rounded warm sound....i wouldnt be surprised if their more budget range players are similar style...

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    just had a looksy, Denons 1910 is under your price range.....however if u can handle a 9 month interest free plan, for double the budget u mention u can get the 2910.

main benefits would be having both DVI and HDMI (1910 only DVI)
    2910 does DVD-Audio and SACD discs, believe me, they sound beautiful if your speakers are halfway decent....
    better image quality,
    better sound quality, especially on CDs....

personally i'd gopher it....if the moolah is a problem tho i reckon u'd still be more than chuffed with the 1910 and it has DVI which plugs in to the M1 socket via an adaptor on the 4805 PJ.....DVI isnt really any different from HDMI.....its just a more user friendly interface....(plug it in, no screws..lol)

edit: sorry, that reads wrong, HDMI is a more user friendly interface, meaning it just plugs in, DVI requries you to screw support screw in (as in a computer monitor style0. Not exactly a problem, but thought i'd mention it.

6. 0B1-1

0B1-1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Straitsman, I have the same PJ a you, and I cannot recommend enough the Harmon/Kardon DV22. I am well impressed with this player, it is very stylish and well built. The picture quality is great on my setup and the layer change is totally seamless (by that I mean undetectable!), not even a audio drop. It can output a progressive picture via the component outputs at the same time as an interlaced signal from it's RGB o/p. So you could in theory have a small tv/lcd screen etc in your home theatre to cue the DVD's before you even switch on the projector, or set a 2nd screen in another room etc...

£300 well spent (well that was the price last Autumn when I got mine)

At the end of the day, you also need to way up all the factors, such as screen, good quality cables, viewing conditions, ambient light in the room etc. I have also heard that you don't even need a DVD player with progressive scan because the 4805 has an on board Faroudja(sp?) de-interlacer which will be more efficient than the de-interlacer used on budget dvd players. Thus, I set my player to interlaced and let the PJ do the progressive stuff! - I hope this makes sense...(going off the subject a bit here!)

7. straitsman1

straitsman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Knyght byte.....I have thought of the Denon 1920...due out soon....around £240....and its interesting to hear your views about the 2910 (.....having read lots of reviews/opinions)....about DVI/HDMI/interlacing/progressive/chips/faroujaH!!!...it did my heed in!!! about which to choose!!....my set up is fair second hand decent....Yamaha AX1,Polk RT1000i fronts(built in active subs),Polk rears....but we are currently renovating the living room...and the ( cabling/cost ) will be "fair" decent at the good but budget scale....sunk into the walls/floorboards...we have already bought from Maplins some "decent plated silver stuff" for the set up....my confusion was either go the good "component output" dvd player way (therefore abit cheaper cable wise)...ie 5metre component cable....or go the DVI/HDMI Dvd player route ie 5 metre HDMI/DVI cable...costing uite a bit more.....i may wait for the Denon 1920......but have read reviews on the Cambridge Audio DV79,Harmon Kardon DVD25,Oppo thingy...and Panny S97......Thanks for your advice....think a Denon 1910 it may be.Barry

8. straitsman1

straitsman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OBI-1...Interesting you mention HK22.....i rang Sevenoaks and they sed...for a component set up ..... (if i go that route)..the HK25 at about £280....is excellent......At the moment the pj is just set up using composite with a Pacific cheapo from Asda!!!...but to be honest its really a decent picture.....HDMI/DVI just intrigues me...along with the many upscale/downscale...rates/chips/players "is best"...etc...it does my head in!!!...hence thinking of just going component n sod it!!!...its a bit cheaper......but as in previous post above....i think i may hang on for this Denon 1920....or just settle for the 1910......but i will "check out" the HK22 1st....Many thanks.Barry
    P.S. Have you in your set up got it connected HDMI/DVI/ or Component...??

9. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    if u live near a sevenoaks or similar shop, ask them to set up the various DVD players for you to try with your PJ as the display.......its the only way to be sure, they will be more than happy to do that....then you can see which you think gives the best picture and by which cable.....technically HDMI/DVI should be better, but surprisingly it isnt always the case, i have heard of situations where a component cable actually performed better, prolly a case of cheap HDMI connections being used or something, i dunno....

seriously tho, check out the 2910 while u there and see if u can see a big enough difference in vision quality, it may be worth you going 9 months interest free to cover the price difference.....i can tell you sound wise it certainly will, your Polks sound like they are fairly nice speakers....u get a fairly good upgrade in sound quality when u jump to the £500 DVD players now.......
    (as you might have guessed im more of a sound fanatic than picture fanatic, but i still like the picture to be as good as poss)

also, dont worry too much about the scaling stuff, rather oddly, it all depends on what disc you watch, some DVDs are better played with the DVD player doing the scaling, some with the PJ, etc......might sound daft, but its true.....on my set up (Infocus 7205, Denon 3910) i find that most Warner Bros stuff works better with the Infocus upscaling to 720 from the 3910s 576 output, but Disney works better with the DVD player doing the 720 upscale...stwange but twue...lol

anyway, either of the options around your price point wont dissapoint too much, but extra happiness lies in the 2910.....(or rob a bank and get the 3910, sell the 4805 and upgrade to a 7205....then you be extra happy..heh)

*disclaimer* *No action, legal or otherwise, may be taken against me the poster of this post concerning the rob a bank comment in regards to anyone following that direction for personal or impersonal gain or loss*.....just to be safe...heh ;-)

10. straitsman1

straitsman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To raise the extra £250 for the 2910 ...i cud av sold the 2.5TD Audi,i cud av sold the Lunar caravan,i cud av dun a carboot!!! i cud av sold my aluminium mountain bike,....etc ..etc...but i hate the credit route.....so i took your non liable advice....and robbed the local Barclays......n i got "9 months"....interest free!!!....i"m mailing ya from STRANGEWAYS!!!!......

11. mavice

mavice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Straightsman1

I use a Tosh SD340E to my 4805

this DVD player gives component out with prog scan and a great picture and sound.

It will cost you about £60 giving you £190 for DVD's to watch on it :thumbsup:

12. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    lol.....say hi to my auntie in D block.....

u sure tho? i mean, if u put £250 down as a deposit, you'll pay about £10 a month for 9 months on a direct debit, leaving you about £160 to settle at the end of 9 months.......if to you its a lot, fair enough, but if you can cope with saving towards that £160 over a few months, you will notice a shed load of difference i reckon in the quality......demo it, see if you notice the difference, if u dont then dont buy it....if you do, then think long, think hard, then think long again.....lol

13. straitsman1

straitsman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its not a lot of money to save...i agree...but coupled with my impatience having seen the 4805 hooked up to the Pacific!!! cheapo using basic composite!!!...i simply cant wait to get a decentish player.....we just cant pay near £500 for a Dvd player....£250 ish is really the top line.We do have a very nice"gold" card...with at least 5k....left to "spend"!!! :nono: :suicide: ....we have also spent all of our actual cash on major improvements on the house we bought 3 months ago.....(new kitchen,full carpets throughout,...marble firesurround,v expensive new fire....etc...)....so now its the "reality"...hold the horses syndrome....but hey...we may "wait".....a few months as you say.....for the 2910.....will let you know :)

14. straitsman1

straitsman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

15. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    u do realise with the 9 months interest free thing u get the player the day u go in to put down the deposit....lol.....so if u wanted it next week, go in, put down £250, then pay the rest off over 9 months, but take the player home the same day (assuming its in stock...lol...if not then might take a couple days more)

i dont think the 2910 will get any cheaper tho......at least not till after xmas.......

the biggest difference is u get DVD-A and SACD ability, and thats a serious improvement over CD......i've only bought about 4 CD's since i got my 3910, but about 15 DVD-A's and 4 SACD albums....heh

16. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I like the 1080p NeuNeo HVD2085 dvd player for around £140