1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus 4805 Vs ?????

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jon, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As some of you may have seen in a different thread of mine i'm going to get a projector when i go to the USA early next year. It has been suggested that the 4805 would be a good choice, could anyone recomend this particular unit or any others of a similar price. I dont know to much about projectors but was told to choose one with 1000+ lumens, the 4805 is only 750, is this a major down point, could anyone comment on whether this projector is not bright enough?? Any help on deciding which one to go for would be great as i dont know where i can get a demo. Does anyone know how the 4805 would compare to the X1, which i have seen in action? Thanks in advance for your help!!

Cheers

Jon

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Jon, have a read of the below reviews trhey will hopefully give you a good insight;

x2

3. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers mate, i will check them out now!

Cheers

Jon

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    If the projector really does deliver 750 lumens on a reasonable size screen with 1-1.2 screen gain then the image will be very bright. Pure white scenes will make your eyes wince.

5. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    If you are intending to use the projector in a darkened environment, then the 4805 is fantastic, the ANSI Lumens are more than sufficient and the contrast ratio of 2000:1 ( quoted) gives the images a brilliant 3 dimensionality. The 4805 is, unlike the X1, aimed squarely at the Home Cinema market and has far better video processing capabilities than the X1. The X1 is brighter, but the 4805 gives a far more 'filmic' image and is definately recommended for movie/TV watching over the X1 which is better for computer duties.
    The resolution on the 4805 isn't that great, but being a DLP model, suffers far less from 'screendoor' issues than an equivalent LCD resolution model. So long as you are seated a distance of about 2x the screen width then you'll see nothing but beautiful, colourful, high contrast, detailed, filmic images.
    I am overjoyed with the 4805 and find myself constantly saying "WOW" whenever I'm using it .

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    I did demo (all be it a short demo) a 4805 about three months ago and it was the first DLP that i didnt see rainbows or get eyestrain etc.
    Would also agree with the above and i too was very impressed with the picture quality, i thought it was excellent even though it is quite a low resolution. For the price you can pick it up for in the US i really cant see anything else in that price range that will give you better value for money.

7. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
  8. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help, its very much appreciated! Just to throw a spanner in the works i have been reeding up on the Panasonic AE700 and from what i hear its a great machine. Its a bit more expensive, but could anyone tell me how much of a difference there is between the 4805 and the AE700? Has anyone seen both in action?

I have had a quick look on the web here and in the USA and it seems that its actually cheaper here, is this right? If it is then it makes a refreshing change to actually have something thats cheaper here!

Cheers

Jon

9. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    The AE700 appears to be a fantastic projector for the money and has a much higher resolution than the 4805. In one review I read, the reviewer said he was 12 inches from the screen and still couldn't see any pixelation !!!
    I think the contrast on the 4805 would beat the AE700 nd the processing may be a little better but I haven't seen the AE700 in action so I'm just going on what I've read. Also consider the new Sony HS50 that is due for release within the next month. High def Widescreen LCD with a massive 6000:1 contrast ratio for around £1800!!
    At the end of the day, any of these and also the Sanyo Z3 are superb projectors for the money and which ever one you choose, I'm sure you'll be very happy with your purchase. The only problem with some High Def LCD projectors in the price range is a somewhat "artificial" look to the picture, a bit like the early Plasma screens looked. The edges are jagged and the picture in general looks "processed". This is where the 4805 scores highly with it's DCDi by Faroudja which effectively smooths out jagged edges and gives a much more natural look. Of course I'm biased as I own a 4805, so the best advice is find a stockist who has a few of these models and audition them. Failing that , www.projectorcentral.com has a wealth of useful information and reviews on all projectors.

Happy hunting !

10. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Just had a look at this and be aware that you are buying from the USA and only get a 1 year international warranty, rather than the standard 3 year warranty you'd get buying from a UK dealer. Otherwise, it looks a good deal.

11. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Oaklyspatz! Does anyone know of a place that does demo's in south Wales and the West of England?

Cheers

Jon

12. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oakleyspatz or anyone else who owns a 4805, i forgot to ask, what size screen do you have? Also whats the largest screen you would recomend going to with the 4805, sitting about 15ft from the screen?

Cheers

Jon

13. mojomanic

mojomanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 4805 and project onto an 80 inch wide screen 92 inch diagonal. I sit 14foot away and the image is fantastic, I don't think any bigger than that is necessary from that distance.

14. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I would agree with mojomaniac, an 80 inch widescreen image( from left to right, not diagonally) is plenty big enough and the image at this size is great so long as you're about 13-15 feet from it.

15. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98

Hi, Try SevenOaks Sound & Vision, on Albany Road in Cardiff, thats where I had a demo if mine, they even let me take one home over a weekend to have a full demo..really helpful people.

Im using a 92" Diagonal DRH matte white screen, projecting from approx 15/16 foot away, and sitting approx 14foot from screen..awesome picture.

16. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your help, its very much appreciated!

Cheers

Jon

17. fruitloops

fruitloops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [I bought the X1 and an upscaler to video to vga box that is equipped to set the gamma but more importantly to set the resolution to 1024x768 rather than 800x600 native. The upscaler cost 70 dollars us and was worth th money.

QUOTE=Oakleyspatz]If you are intending to use the projector in a darkened environment, then the 4805 is fantastic, the ANSI Lumens are more than sufficient and the contrast ratio of 2000:1 ( quoted) gives the images a brilliant 3 dimensionality. The 4805 is, unlike the X1, aimed squarely at the Home Cinema market and has far better video processing capabilities than the X1. The X1 is brighter, but the 4805 gives a far more 'filmic' image and is definately recommended for movie/TV watching over the X1 which is better for computer duties.
    The resolution on the 4805 isn't that great, but being a DLP model, suffers far less from 'screendoor' issues than an equivalent LCD resolution model. So long as you are seated a distance of about 2x the screen width then you'll see nothing but beautiful, colourful, high contrast, detailed, filmic images.
    I am overjoyed with the 4805 and find myself constantly saying "WOW" whenever I'm using it .[/QUOTE]