1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

infocus 4805 + scaler

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Will18, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Will18

Will18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure if this goes into this forum or the scaler one but here it goes.....

This time last year a PJ seemed a pipe dream but seeing now that i can pick one of these up for like £700 i'm gonna do it.

The one problem is that the room it is going in is quite small (Round about 10' x 8') and doing some calculations it worked out i could get an image of 68" diag, so using some scrapwood mocked up a frame and to be honest it is a little small

Then i later went to the offical infocus site using the same parameters and it said i could potentially have a screen size somewhere between 67" and 81" diag, now i like the sound of 81" but my guess is that is going to need some form of zooming on the PJ's part which i'm guessing can blur the image.

Now would the introduction of an iscan hd make the zoomed in image just as good as a non-zoomed image without the scaler, if that made any sense :confused:

Thanks for any help

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Optical zooming, which the 4805 has (as do nearly all PJ's you'll read about on this forum - I think the only exception is the toshiba ET1), will not degrade the picture. Any form of digital manipulation, such as keystone adjustment, will however so should be avoided.

I would avoid projecting an image at maximum zoom, leave a little flexibility just in case.

As for a scaler, though it can improve the picture, it's not something you should dive into straight away. Try the PJ first without a scaler. You'd be best to invest in a decent DVD player with progressive scan component output first if you don't already have one...PJ :)

3. Will18

Will18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks PJ, that was my first plan then i got reading and guess got carried away

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    One important aspect I forgot to mention is your seating distance from the screen. The prevailing opinion is that you should sit no nearer than 1.5 times the screen width away ie for 81" diag around 9ft away I guess... You may get away with less but just beware that bigger isn't always better with a PJ - if you sit too close you'll see too many artefacts...PJ :)

5. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I have a 4805 and an I-scan HD. The picture is really good, certainly much better than the 1024x768 LP350 it replaced. I route all my sources through the I-scan and those that I pass-thru without scaling to the PJ are not far off the quality of the scaled ones. As you are probably aware the 4805 has a great onboard scaler given the correct source to activate it.

The first mistake most people make with their first projector is to set up their picture too big. The zoom does not compromise the image but be careful of the offset/keystone. I would suggest that 2x screen width is a better viewing distance - my layout puts me at 1.5 and it is unforgiving when given a poor source.