1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus 4805 Prog Scan Question !

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Oakleyspatz, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Ok, now I need all you 4805 owners to help me out here....
    Recently got my 4805 and have a few questions and one problem which I hope someone can help me with.
    Firstly the questions...
    1) I have read reviews saying that if you have a mid to low priced prog scan DVD player then it may be better to turn off the prog scan and just send an interlaced signal as the infocus is so good at de-interlacing... Fine so far, I did just that with my Panasonic DVD player with prog scan, But can I turn off the prog scan on the 4805 so I can compare the two pictures? When I do select prog scan on my Panny, I just get a jumbled mess of a picture as both try to de-interlace the same signal.
    2)Does that mean also that so long as my connection is via component, then all my DVD's will be played back in prog scan on the 4805? Even though my DVD player is only NTSC Prog Scan, will the Pal DVDs also be in Prog Scan on the 4805 if sent via interlaced signal on the Panasonic?
    3) When watching a NTSC DVD on the 4805, the picture is fantastic, but when I go to the menu or the set-up screen on the DVD player, the picture jumps all over the place and the only way to cure it is to select Auto Image so the projector can lock onto the "new" signal?? Is the set up menu in Pal or something? It's really confusing me !

Cheers in advance for any help I get :confused:

2. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Oakleyspatz

1) If the 4805 receives a progressive signal from your DVD player, it will automatically disable the prog scan chip on the 4805. Your jumbled up screen is the result of switching between the two on-the-fly which confuses the 4805 sometimes. To resolve, just hit the auto-image button on your remote.

2) Projectors like the 4805 can only display progressive signals regardless of what connections you use to feed it. If you feed it a non progressive signal, the onboard chip will make it progressive.

3) Not really sure about this. However, I would say that the faroudja chip on the 4805 will do a better job than your panny. I would therefore simply set the panny to output a non progressive signal. Hopefully, that will sort any issues you have.

HTH

Gary

3. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I know with mine that if I switch from using an NTSC disc to a PAL disc or vice versa, then I have to use the Auto-Image button to lock on to the correct signal.

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Thanks guys. Very helpful info. At least now I know that mine doesn't have a problem, but it's still a bit of a pain when watching an NTSC disc and then going to set-up menu or hitting stop, my screen starts jumping and I need to hit auto image every time !!.
    Yes, the prog scan image using the Projector is infinately better than the Panasonic's prog scan as I've now managed to compare the two, one difference is the brightness from the Panasonic's prog scan is much brighter than sending the signal interlaced which means I can turn down the brightness on the projector which should extend lamp life. But the picture's not so clean so I'll leave the Infocus to do the de-interlacing and use the bulb quicker !!!