1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infocus 4805 - Final Fantasty screenshots-AWESOME !!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Oakleyspatz, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I know many people are thinking about getting into the projector game but aren't really sure of the quality of the images.
    Look at it this way, The Infocus Screenplay 4805 is now on sale for £999 which could alternatively get you a 32 inch widescreen CRT( lovely picture but 32 inches isn't exactly the Odeon is it !) or a 42 inch rear projection TV ( crap picture which you have to sit in a very small sweet spot to see)
    You cannot get a Plasma of any quality for this price and even then, they only go to a maximum of 60 inches and then you're talking £10k plus !
    Now take a look at the screenshots taken from Final Fantasy and projected onto a magnolia wall, not some expensive screen. They are stunning I think you'll agree and these are 80 inches wide from a unit the size of a shoe box !!!
    Go on, become one of the privileged.......GET A PROJECTOR !!

Attached Files:

2. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    great shots are you running pj from a pc?

3. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Nope. These were taken using a modest Panasonic DVD-S75 with progressive scan ( although I set it to intertlaced and let the 4805 do the de-interlacing).

4. GlennR

GlennR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It would be good to see how the projector performs with Home Theatre standards like 'Fifth Element', 'Vertical Limit', 'Gladiator' and 'LOTR' etc. Showing computer generated images always looks good on most machines.

Nice shots though.

Glenn

5. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Picture looks great, though (not at all slagging off your or your projector). Camera pics give an approximation of what you really see and so are only really good for show. In terms of the scale I understand what you're saying and it's one of the things that's pushing me back towards the idea of getting a projector. Bulb price is one of my concerns though.

I may well get a small standard crt for now and wait for some new projector models to come out as you tend to read about the various problems on here.

6. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Agreed. Once you have a PJ you'll never go back.

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    You'll wait forever then. People often come here for help. People seldom seek it out to say "had mine for yonks with no probs".

I'm sure every new PJ will reveal an array of issues which will be discussed in detail on these forums...PJ :)

PS camera pics often do no justice whatsoever to the actual image

8. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I think you can pick faults in any technology. Plasmas do not last forever, they can suffer from screenburn and unless you spend a fortune, the images are not that great under critical scrutiny.
    But I still say that if you are really into the whole Home Cinema game, then a projector is the only way to create that within your home. Todays' current crop of LCD and DLP projectors offer a level of performance and price that would have been unimaginable only two years ago. I owned previously a Sony VPL-W400 LCD projector. It was the first true widescreen LCD projector on the market and retailed for £5k. It had a brightness of around 400 lumens (claimed) and a contrast ratio of around 400:1. In otherwords, it would be laughed off the market today even if it was £500, let alone £5000. So to be able to purchase the Infocus Screenplay 4805 with 2200:1 contrast, 750 lumens brightness, D65 calibrated colour, true 16:9 widescreen ratio and HD/ HDCP compatibility for £999 is truly a bargain. Five years ago, this level of performance would have cost over £10k.
    Yes, digital photos are, at best, only an indication of how the actual picture looks. But I find myself saying "WOW" much more looking at the actual projected image than I do looking at the digital image so what does that say about the projected image?
    I will indeed post some screenshots from The Fifth Element and Gladiator which both look amazing on the 4805. You just cannot believe the resolution on the 4805 is so modest when you actually see the images. They are so good.
    (Do I give the impression that I like the 4805?)

9. braiden

braiden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Have to say that the gladiator was one of the films I used to test my 4805 when I first received it, and fo the price you pay the projector the picture looked pretty impressive.

Of course in most cases the more money you spend the better the technology, but for the price the SP4805 is an impressive projector.

10. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent looking picture, thanks!.

Honestly, how do you find the picture in daytime? I currently leave my (translucent) curtains shut in daytime anyway but is the PJ really useable on a sunny day? I currently have a 51" in RPTV in a 4mx3m room.

Given that the only place to project to would be my front window, could you use a rolldown screen the same size as the window frame to blackout?

11. braiden

braiden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi Mango Bob

I have used my projector in the day with the curtains drawn. And the picture is fine, I will add that I do have blackout curtains but when the sun shines it is always brightest at the front of the house and the projector is situated in the front room.

So the short answer to your question, from me at least, would be yes. Although others may have different experiences and offer a different point of view.

hope this helps

braiden

12. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +601
    doesnt the 4805 scale everything to 480 lines? or does it support 720p native

13. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Yes, it scales everything to it's native res of 480 lines. But it does at least accept a HD signal and those which are HDCP so it's fairly futureproofed. Any projector will always scale any signal to it's native res so even a 1080 line projector will have to scale anything other than 1080 lines to meet it's resolution (obviously this means scaling up and not down but you see my point)

14. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Some screen shots from Gladiator just to prove it can handle 'real' images and not just animation.
    ( The slight bluish tinge in some of the pics is due to my digi camera struggling with the low light.)

Attached Files:

15. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    how loud is the fan noise on the Projector?

16. john<|>nhoj

john<|>nhoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am just about to get a 4805.

I want to sink the leads into a conduit in the wall. I want the best picture from my X-Box / PS2 / DVD player without having the additional converter box plugged in the rear of the 4805 (is this DVI-D? or HDMI ?) as I will not have enough space for this on my shelf.

Anyway what size is this cable as I need to make sure the conduit is large enough?
    I assume the cable will be component or composite?
    Can these be re-terminated or made up seprately?

The projector will be on the wall in a shelf unit so will be hidden.

John

17. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I really only hear it in quite passages and even then it's not too intrusive. It is situated about 20 inches from my head so the further away the better. Just insure you set it to low brightness mode not high as this reduces the fan noise considerably.

18. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The digital input on the 4805 is actually an unusual Infocus favourite, the M1-DA connection which means it will accept either DVI or HDMI but you will need an adapter. I would use a component cable for the second best image next to DVI. You can buy a cable for your Xbox which goes to component and I would assume one is available for the PS2 as well. Many current amps have component switching so you could plug several component sources into the amp and run just one component to the infocus.

19. john<|>nhoj

john<|>nhoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks...

I plan to get a AV amp with 3 to 1 switching. Denon AVR1705 probably.
    I will use component output.

John

20. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I concur with Danny on this.

Having demoed the 4805 some weeks ago, I can safely say that for the price, the performance is superb. IMO opinion having had the 4805 fired up along aside a 7200. I think that the 4805 had better colour than the dearer machine.

Star Wars Ep 4 looked superb.

A worthy investment.

Cap :)

21. micware

micware

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I’m new to HT and are interested in the 4805.
    But I live in a the Netherlands a PAL country.
    Most of my dvd are PAL and the native resolution of the 4805 is 854 x 480
    Can anybody comment on the quality of a PAL dvd down scaled on this PJ
    Or is this noting to worry about for a first projector?

Thanks and regards,

Michiel

Ps Pictures are great considering it’s made with a digital camera and the actual picture is probably even better.

22. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I find that PAL images scaled by the 4805 are still superb. The slightly higher resolution of PAL counteracts any scaling problems although in a side by side comparison I would have to say that an NTSC signal does look slightly cleaner but not enough to worry about. The Final Fantasy shots are from a PAL disc and The Incredibles on a PAL disc looks almost like High Definition !!!

23. jburchett

jburchett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how far do you sit away from the screen

24. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    If you're not worried about the warranty then this can be had for £825 here

25. micware

micware

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Oakleyspatz!

26. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Theres been an awful lot of discussion on avsforum about this. Most reckon 2x screen width is a good place to start but given the throw of the 4805 that puts you under the pj. As they vent to the front it'll be quieter if you sit behind it too.

27. Monkeyboylee

Monkeyboylee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Oakley,

Is the SP4805 definitely HDTV compatible? I can get one for £750 (GS) inc screen (only 5' but good enough to start with in my front room). My next option is the Panasonic AE700 (HDTV) but this is an extra £400 without screen.

NB: Only really want it initially for dvd movies and xbox gaming.

Cheers,

Lee
    Lee
    Lee

28. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Yes, it will accept a HD signal but of course it will have to scale this signal down to it's native resolution of 480p. For DVD it is fantastic, but for HD, a higher res projector may be better.

29. krlock2

krlock2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    zoolap... sad to hear that u are sitting on the fence.... many people here and on other forums are fairly picky about what small details.... if you have never had one the impact is massively intense, and in a good way.

i agree with who said, once a pj, never going back...

and photos normally look worse than the real thing. imagine that a 100" diagional (normal on a pj!!!!) means an 8 feet diagonal picture....

i have the panny ae300 and its the best thing i ever got.... i will only upgrade once HDTV / dvd becomes widespread....

30. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

The AE700 is true Hi-Def 1280x720 res, which means no downscaling for HDTV or XBox material. There are quite a lot of games for the XBox now which are 1280x720 res. and nearly all US TV show productions are Hi Def. I have around 20 Hi Def films already and the list of forthcoming titles is growing daily. Check out http://www.dts-phile.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=77. I'm not trying to knock the 4805 :devil: , just making you aware of the options.