Infocus 4800 vs 5700

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Marcel99, May 2, 2004.

1. Marcel99

Marcel99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Time to buy a new projector to fit into the extension

Has anyone done a comparison between these 2 pj's? The 5700 gets rave reviews, would fit my room perfctly, but is it really worth 4 times the price? My viewing room is 5.5 m long, with a screen width of 2.1m.

Opinions welcome

CHeers
    Marcel

2. stormtide

stormtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over a period of three months we compared the 4800 against the 5700 (and indeed Domino 20, HS56 and AE500), unfortunately, rarely together and at different dealerships using different sources/cables. 4800 although excellent value for money (£1200 @ the time), was not a patch on 5700 - whatever the criteria - other than price.

We viewed both the 4800 and AE500 to provide both a baseline and see whether it was sensible spending 3x times as much – it was. Physically, the 4800 is nosier and lacked the connectivity I required - specifically DVI and 2X component. But above all the picture suffered significant more rainbows than the 5700 (I guess the 5X speed wheel makes a difference). More surprising, given that the Contrast of the 4800 was 2000:1 against 1400:1 for the 5700, the 5700 had a significantly better picture with more depth (blacks are black and shading in dark scenes is excellent) - I guess you shouldn’t read too much in spec’s. Where it blew away the 4800 and indeed the other PJs was in the use of white light – in Gladiator the sweat on the soldiers faces at beginning glistens – sad, but it was the main reason I spent 3 big ones on the 5700.

We both ruled the 4800 early on since it was like watching through a “slightly smeared window” difficult to describe, but this “window” just wasn’t there with the 5700 or indeed SIM 20 and HS56. At the end of the day it is simply a question "what would we be happy watching”. I would also highly recommend the HS56 – now being sold at less than 2K – personally, if it wasn’t for the “sweat” that would have been my choice.

PS – the 4800 has already been replaced in the US with the 4805 – I guess it will be in the UK soon - hence hifibitz price reduction. The 7200 has been replaced by the 7205 but the 5700 continues, which may say it all.

3. ramiro

ramiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at this thread if you want to know all about the new

By the time you finish reading the thread , the new pj will probably be at a place near you.:laugh: