Info Please guys

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by steve1386, Mar 24, 2006.

1. steve1386

steve1386

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What modem/router you recommend to stream music/movies from WMC2005 to Xbox360, at present I have a Belkin F5D7633-4 and i am getting network congestion all the time, i am doing it wirelessly..Hope you can be of some help as I pulling my hair out now, or even ones MS suggest would of some help..I know wired is best but thats no really an option as my WMC PC is in one room and xbox360 in another...

2. scottpin

scottpin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If you're using wireless MS suggest that ideally you use 802.11a but seeing that we don't have this in the UK then the next best bet is 802.11g. You'll need to make sure your MCE PC is hooked up directly to the router and then you should keep devices on the wireless network to a minimum. Make sure you're not using any 802.11b devices such as older laptops and some wireless music streamers. If you're getting lots of interfearance try changing the channel used in the Belkin router setup pages. From memory 1, 6 and 13 are the best three to try as the others tend to overlap with eachother if say your neighbour is using a similar channel for their own WLAN.

DECT phones, microwave ovens and other appliances can operate on the same frequency so playing with the channels and relocating DECT base stations may help to reduce the noise. A lot of the routers also have the ability to switch on a "turbo mode" or remove the ability for 802.11b traffic alltogether. Have a play with some of these settings on the router too.

3. steve1386

steve1386

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate, will try what you suggested..

4. WheresMyArtisan

WheresMyArtisan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Streaming over wireless is only recommended if only one of the two ends is wireless. Are they both wireless? If so then, if possible, wire one of them to your wireless router.

By having both on wireless, you halve the maximum throughput. This is explained in the manual for MCE extenders, don't know about the XBox 360.

Definitely switch off B mode, as suggested earlier. By maintaining compatibility it slows things down a lot. Not as slow as B, but slower than G only.

P.S. You might want to include something meaningful in the thread title. Many members won't bother reading a thread with a title like this.

5. steve1386

steve1386

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The WMC PC is wired mate , sorry I never stated that..