1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

info on speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ytgti, Aug 21, 2002.

1. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What i want to know is does it really matter what type of speakers you use as a 5.1 setup, i have an old sony center speaker from the pro logic days as well as a pre-powerd sub, some acoustic soloutions for the front's and some music sound's for the rears, it all sounds excerlent to me i couldnt pick any faults if i tried.

I like the acoustics up front cos they sound good in stereo when i have radio on or i'm on my decks there very clear and bassy even though the speakers are only about 6inch. the rears are about 3inch in quite big boxes.

Any way are new speakers developed for home cinema like DD & DTS to give a better digital sound or are they just like everyday hi-fi speakers.

Cheers.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Idealy you want to have all your speakers tonally matched. This essentially means that they sound the same across all frequencies. This means that the thing to do is to have speakers by the same manufacturer from the same range using the same drive units. The best option would be to have all your speakers identical (see thread about the KEF Q1) and a capable subwoofer.

New speakers are generally designed for stereo usage (excluding dedicated centre channels), but they are almost all suitable (acoustically) for using on any channel of a surround sound system, bar the .1 LFE channel which obviously requires the sub.

3. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers, there is some good in the darkside then.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What you should be doing is finding a setup that sounds good to you. If you can't find anything wrong with what you have there doesn't seem much point in spending money just for the sake of it.

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case, don't change a thing. You've achieved something that a very large percentage of forum members will never do, no matter how much money is spent.

Although companies will tell you they've designed speakers for 'digital reproduction' it's a bit of a marketing myth as all signals to conventional speakers arrive as analogue signals anyway. Plus, most speaker makers have been developing products with CD in mind since the early 80s.

If I were you, I'd sit back and enjoy the system and spend any earmarked 'upgrade' money on more DVDs :)