1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info on Rotel 1066/1075 combi

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Stupot43, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Ok chaps, I need some help.
    Have any of you got this combination - Rotel 1066 processor with the THX 1075 5ch amp. Thinking of buying this and just looking for info whether they sound good for music and movies and if there are any operational quirks.

2. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    yes it sounds good, but on the pricey side when put up against receivers

1075 gives plenty of power, but only 5 channel! need to add further 2 channel power amp for true 7.1

not upgradable to dts96/24

review in recent what hifi

Gary

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Pricey against recievers ... ?

Well an RSP1066 plus an RMB1075 (5x 120w) is �1840 and that only gives you 5 channel. Now for many people that would be great. If you want the additional 2 channels, then you're looking at an additional �495 for the RB1070 (2x 130w) ... so a total of �2335.

For similar money, you could get a Denon AVC1SR or a Pioneer AX10i. However, if you intend in the future to be looking at upgrading the processor, then you already have separate power amps, so to upgrade to an Arcam AV8 would only cost you �3500 ... not �5500 if you had to buy the amps at the same time - so you are getting great flexibility for your money. Now I'm not going to try to say which would sound better ... but the Rotel won't disgrace itself, especially if Music is important to you.

Alternatively you can look at the RSP1066 plus an RMB1066 (6x 60w) if you only want 1 rear centre and if 70w is sufficient power for you (and remember Rotel are real 60w with lots of current avaliable) ... then you'd be looking at �1590.

Third possible option if the total is a little too much ... there are often advertised here and on eBay and similar the older 5 channel amps - these are identical in performance, but will be all black rather than black and silver.

As for not being dts96/24 capable ... how many discs are there that use it ... and for that matter how many other processors are capable of it (Arcams, TAG 32, etc arn't).

The only real downer on the RSP1066 is its bass management ... and this only comes into play if you use 6.1 input, and want to send the bass to your subwoofer.

For lots more information, you might want to check out the Club Rotel Forum on HTGuide.

Victoria

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    It also pays to take into consideration sound quality. I hooked up a 1075 to an A1SE and the difference in quality was quite noticeable: the 1075 was clearly superior. In addition the 1066 processor may have some quirks, but I believe that the processor is software upgradeable, so hopefully any idiosyncrasies can be ironed out?

Russell

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
  6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    On the subject of upgrades: many integrated devices have both pre-amp level inputs and pre-amp level outputs. So it's possible to use it either as a stand-alone processor (using a separate power amp) or as a stand-slone power amp (using a separate processor). So I don't think buying an integrated device necessarily restricts your upgrade options. Although of course you can't sell off just the processing or just the amp stage second hand to finance your next purchase and keep the other part.

7. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks everybody for your comments, but after reading about the bass management concerns of the 1066 processor I have decided to put this on the back burner. I am now thinking of going for the Tag AV30 with either the 1075 amp or separate power amps for front & rear. I may put a new thread on the forums about this?

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Just remember ... the bass management issue is only relevant if using the multi-channel input with small speakers (i.e. SACD / DVD-A)

Victoria

9. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Victoria is spot on and if you need further info have a look here which is very imformative

10. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Now you're following me :hiya: :clap:

11. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    People will start to talk :)

12. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Hi Stupot,

I've just upgraded from a Denon A1SR to a Tag AV32Rbp192 5.1 and Rotel RMB 1075. The Tag was new, the Rotel 2nd hand, total cost £2566. The difference in quality is remarkable, I would thoroughly recommend you save the extra and start with this sort of combination.

I did consider the AV30 but decided the whole point of a Tag is its upgradability, the AV30 has a limited upgrade path.

If money is tight, Keep your eyes peeled for 2nd hand gear and don't hesitate when you find stuff for sale, it'll be gone before you get a 2nd chance!

Good luck :smashin:

13. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    However ... your TAG plus Rotel power amps cost £800 more than brand new Rotel RSP1066 plus new power amp. Its the next league up ... the same (certainly in terms of price) in going from a Denon 3803 / Sony VA555ES / Pioneer 2011 upto the Rotel.

There's no doubting that the TAG/Rotel combination will be better than the Rotel/Rotel combination ... but don't feel that you HAVE to spend the additional money.

Victoria

14. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Exactly what I was saying, save up and buy gear in the next league, that way you are compromising far less. :)

15. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Urban, where did you get Tag from?

Even buying the Rotel 2nd hand, say £400 that would make the Tag £2100.

Victoria and wonder what you would have said if he was talking about the New Rotel RSP1098 with will probable retail £800 more than the RSP1066?

Would you have the 1098 or the Tag?

16. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    What I was really meaning is that we're a bit talking apples and pears here ... or at least daisies and roses ...

If someone came here saying they were wondering what people thought about them buying a Yamaha AX-V630 (£400), would you tell them to forget it and by a Denon 3803? ... If they came asking advice on buying a 3803, would you tell them to spend £800 more and buy the Denon AVC11SR?

Okay so these examples are doubling the budget ... buying a TAG (or the Rotel 1098) is only spending 50% more ... but we're still taking about a significant increase in cost.

At the moment I couldn't comment over the choice between buying the Rotel 1098 or the TAG AV32 (which will be similar cost) as there isn't enough information over the performance, etc of the new Rotel ... but someone was interested in the Rotel, then I would say ... "yes the Rotel is reported to be good ... but have you also considered x, y, z at a similar cost". Oh and yes ... the new Rotel does interest me ... especially it's very modular construction ... gives possibility of upgradability - though I wouldn't buy it expecting that because Rotel have never done upgrades (except for firmware) that I know of in the future.

Okay so saying that last paragraph ... have you considered the Cyrus AV7 ... it's only 5.1 (no 7.1 capabilities currently) but is meant to sound very musical and is a similar cost to the Rotel RSP1066. I guess there are some other processors around the same cost (Naim and Roksan ring small bells at the back of my mind but I'm not sure of their price / capabilities) but I can't comment on them because I don't know of them.

Yes it's always worth considering taking that step to the next level ... I know I did buying a stereo integrated amp (went to audition/buy an RA-02 or C370, ended up with a RA1060 instead) ... but not everyone has the same budgetary constraints ... okay so I guess that Stupot had already said he was considering the Tag AV30 (okay ... I admit ... I missed reading that ... sorry folks!!!) ... actually I think if I could afford it ... I'd be tootling off to buy a nice shiny Arcam AV8 ... but for now I'm saving pennies / considering what to sell ... and thinking about buying the RSP1066 myself.

Victoria

17. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Petrolhead,

I paid £466 off Ebay for the amp and £2100 for the Tag new. I know dealers aren't supposed to discount so I can't put their name in print. What I would say is that I have struck up a good relationship with my dealers, a cracking team of people, who offered a discount to help me upgrade.

To me, it speaks volumes for finding a good dealer rather than buy off online firms. All IMHO of course :)

18. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hmm

To be honest the RSP1066 seems to be probable the best bet for me and the right price.

Would I notice much improvement if I went the RSP1066 + 1075 amp against my Denon 3802?

19. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you thought of pairing the RSX 1055 (Receiver) and 1075 power amp?

This would give you a full 10 channels of amplification enabling 7.1 and a bit of bi-amping should you so choose or maybe running a second zone.

20. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Yes but as the 1055 is even more than 1066 and that I want to go the separate route

21. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I'm not sure ... but it doesn't really make sence bi-amping channels with the RSX1055 and the RMB1075 ... The RSX1055s internal amps are rated at 70w and the RMB1075 is rated at 120w.

Oh ... and for anyone thats interested ... this isn't really the right thread but what the hell ... Rotel have now got more details of the new RSP 1098 on their US website ... still no sign of the "global" website though.

22. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    And whats even more annoying ... is that in the USA the 1055 is CHEEPER than the 1066.

23. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you can use different wattage amps to biamp, as long as the poweramp gain is the same for both.

Personally feel Rotel poweramps are excellent, but their pre-amps and processors are bit lacking in something.

Why not get several 1095's? :D

24. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    There is already a thread called More info on new Rotel RSP 1098 Processor

Yes Victoriea but isn't all the Rotel Kit much cheaper in th US :(

So Victoria, back to my question

25. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A more general Rotel themed post.

How in hell can Rotel be pleased with the way B&W market their products in the UK? Hardly any advertising and not exactly highly available. This is particualrly true of their multi channel stuff - they seem to want to aim at the lower-high end of the market when they should really be targeting the Denon 3803/2011 high mid end of the market, if that makes any sense.

Let's not even start on the price differentials

26. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I guess there's only one way to find out (if the RSP+RMB is better than your 3802 that is) ... can recomend Leicester HiFi for Rotel kit and last time I was in they had both. It might also be worth demoing the 3802 with the RMB1075 cause that might be as good (or even better) combination than the 1066.

RE: US prices ... I was meaning that in USA, the 1055 is cheeper than the 1066 ... always struck me as kinda strange!!

Victoria

27. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Well the price means that they have to be targetting the Denon AVC11SR market rather than the 3803 markets. I think Rotel are (a bit like NAD) trying to distance themselves from the run of the mill consumer brands (Denon / Marantz / Pioneer / Sony) and like to think of themselves as budget top end.

As for the Rotel / B&W relationship ... I'm not much up on economics ... but I would expect that probably Rotel get more out of importing / marketing B&W in USA (and elsewhere), than B&W get out of importing / marketing Rotel here ... however much advertising, etc they produced.

V

28. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,471
    so it was you that beat me to it!!!

29. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Sorry :devil: :laugh:

30. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh I think I undertstand now I didn't realise that they had a reciprocal distribution arrangement. In which case you are right Rotel make a bundle from B&W in the states and they couldn' give a monkey's if B&W bury their products over here. Although you would have thought it would be in B&W interest to actally try and make some money out of them over here