info on options for visually impaired buyer?

K

kaiteee

Hi all :hiya:

Have been doing research on making a purchase, and kept getting pointed to here - there's lots of knowledge and owners so I'm hoping someone may be able to help.

I'm looking to get something to replace the video for general recording so it's either a PVR or HDD/DVD recorder combo. I want to be able to use it when we go digital, and I'd want to be able to watch one thing while recording another, so I gather I need a dual Freeview PVR, or presumably a single one plus STB (which we have already). I don't care about the DVD bit but my partner wants to be able to take recordings off a digital video camera direct to DVD, bypassing the PC which is dying under the strain.

I have narrowed down (I think!) to 2 options:
  1. Humax 9200 or equivalent for me - and my partner can sort his own DVD!
  2. Sony RDR-HXD870 and use the STB if I want to watch something when recording
I think I'm preferring option 1. I'm leaning to the Humax so far on reviews. What I'd like to know is how suitable the Humax and others are for someone with a visual impairment - how clear/big is the font on screen, any options to enlarge/change colour contrast etc? Also, how user friendly/logical is the remote - I tend to learn sequences of buttons rather than read the screen (within reason!) and I love logical systems. I have seen a thread that mentions the Fusion's UI to be garish (I think that was the term of choice!) and small but can't find anything on others, eg the Sharp TUR160/Asda rebrand at £100 which wins on price - the cheapest I have seen the Humax is £150.

Any further advice on best solution of 1 and 2 or other options also gratefully received, sorry if this has been a long post! Fab forum btw, it fits on my screen and I can see it, which is rare with my weird-to-suit-vision settings!

Thank you!
Kerrie

I don't care about the DVD bit but my partner wants to be able to take recordings off a digital video camera direct to DVD, bypassing the PC which is dying under the strain.

The DVR/PVR combos are only 1 tuner. Don't underestimate the ability to record 2 things at the same time and watch a 3rd(mostly) this narrows you down to Humax 9200T and Topfield TF5800 and one or two others

What I'd like to know is how suitable the Humax and others are for someone with a visual impairment - how clear/big is the font on screen, any options to enlarge/change colour contrast etc? Also, how user friendly/logical is the remote - I tend to learn sequences of buttons rather than read the screen (within reason!) and I love logical systems.

The Topfield can be simply customised with programs (TAPs) that can be downloaded for free from www.toppy.org it's is as simple as putting a song on an mp3 player.

This allows you with the right TAP to customise the font, colours and appearance of the EPG so you could choose the best one for you to see.

I have had the TF5800 for a year know and whilst more expensive ~£200 vs the £150 for the Humax I have no regrets. Its the one AV purchase I have made that has changed the way I view TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom