1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info Needed

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by podavies, Aug 3, 2005.

1. podavies

podavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry if this has been asked before.

I have an HighDef LCD TV running a res of 1360*768 connected to my PC via the DVi to VGA cable/connecter I'm using a Nvidia 6600gt Card.

While playing standard DVD the image quailty is no better than my 17" monitor. What software or hardare do i need to get my DVD to upscale to 720p/1080i on my PC running XP Pro. Is it possible.

Thanks
    Paul

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    First, are you outputting native resolution from the PC, ie. 1360x768? If not do that first.

Next, what DVD player software are you using? Most will look okay on a 17" LCD but as the image size increases differences show. The generally preferred one is TheaterTek or use the NVidia coded with Windows Media Player, some HTPC users prefer PowerDVD 6 or WinDVD, depending on personal preference.

For highest quality scaling you need FFDSHOW, which requires that the player software allows for post-processing, TheaterTek does I don't know about WinDVD, PowerDVD doesn't AFIAK nor Media Player. There are very many threads on here discussing this aspect of an HTPC.

3. podavies

podavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My PC is running a res of 1360*768 Samsung LE32R51B i have a DVI to VGA cable.

I'm using PowerDVD and Media Player 10 Im sure i have a the Nvidia Pure video drivers codecs installed but i cant see any option to play DVD's in 720p or 1080i

where can i get this FDDshow and what is it.

thanks

4. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    You shouldn't need to. Using the DVI you're basically getting 1:1 pixel mapping over a normal computer video connection so it's just like having a big monitor.

If you're using PowerDVD then playing full screen it should just scale to fill the window.

5. podavies

podavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok but what I'm getting at is how do you know if the dvd is playing in 1080i 720p or am i barking up the wrong tree.

Do i have to connect the TV via the vivo connecters to get these option and not one of the Dual DVi port. I'm sure im not making myself clear.

How do i get my PC to play DVD with the Progressive scan option via the VGA Port, or do i need to buy a componet cable and connect to the T.V that way and what software do i need to see these option.

Maybe I should throw away my PC and just buy a £100 Hdmi dvd payer. :rolleyes:

Thanks
    Paul

6. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Does the 6600GT not have a DVI interface? If it has why are you using the VGA D-SUB Analogue? I find DVI to DVI (true Digital) to give far superior crisp images. BTW theres also a beta codec for enabling TrueVideo on Nvidia Cards, which I believe can upscale SD to HD(720p).

7. podavies

podavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The LCD only has HDMI port and not a DVI and it will not support a PC over HDMI, so i am told.

8. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    The DVD is playing at whatever full screen output you have set - the LCD display is progressive so all images you see are progressive.

If you have a 1360x768 monitor then you are seeing a 768p image. There is no point upscaling a 720x576i(480i) image to 1080i to then downscale it again on your monitor. By seeing a full screen image on your LCD display you are upscaling.

I have a 1280x720 LCD projector. All images I see are progressive whatever source I send as LCD panels are progressive. I see a 1280x720 picture whatever the source resolution as that is the resolution of the projector. It is just sometimes the projector doing the upscaling (i.e. through scart with Sky) and at other times a DVD player (through HDMI). I would not set my DVD player to output 1080 as my display is native 720 and so the DVD would upscale and then the projector would downscale.

If I send a 1280x720 (i.e a HiDef transport stream) signal from the PC (via VGA) then no upscaling is done and the image is at it's most pure for an analogue signal - with no upscaling or image processing.

If I play a 1920x1080 HD stream then the PC is downscaling to 1280x720 to output over the VGA which is set to 1280x720.

9. podavies

podavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I guess my expectation are not being met then, As i thought my dvd's would look a hell of lot better than they are, I really cant tell a difference between my old TFT and my new LCD playing the same DVD on my PC. the way people talk on this site when upscaling DVD's lead me to believe i would see noticeable difference.

10. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    What resolution is your old TFT monitor? Mine is 1280x1024 and so any DVD I watch is scaled to that (and a so 16x9 widescreen DVD is letterboxed to about 1280x720). The quality should be about the same as any LCD device - I'm not sure why you expected more?

The resolutions of the new HD TVs are still lower than most regular PC monitors - they just have more connections (like HDMI, Component, Scarts etc..) and usually a tuner and speakers too. They also have HD resolution 16x9 panels like 1280x720.

You could try using some processing filters to make the picture better (ffdshow) or start downloading some of the HD trailers that are available and see the difference in quality when you don't upscale...and keep your fingers crossed for an early HD-DVD launch.

11. podavies

podavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I guess I thought connecting my new screen to the PC would enable some new options on the video driver/DVD player software. How stupid do i feel.
    I tried installing the beta pure video software and running the nplayer software but couldnt tell the difference.
    The only media I've seen so far that looks High Def or has the wow facter was the Madagasca trailer, The WMVHD stuff on the MS site looks pretty crappy to me. But the screen looks great playing HL2 and WOW.
    maybe i should try installing FFDshow. do i need anything else.

12. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    The Divx-HD Madagascar trailer looks amazing doesn't it - it's actually the best looking clip I've seen yet, and I've got a few 720p and 1080i full MPEG-2 HD films from Usenet. I don't run ffdshow so I'll have to pass that help over to someone else...