1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info from VFD

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MikeFish, Apr 21, 2005.

1. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I trying to chose between a Claritas case or one of the new mcubed cases.
    The thing that bothers me about the Claritas (except from the fact you can't have both an ATX board and PSU) is that it has no display.
    I have already posted here and found a way around this using a PDA and some software to control MCE.
    However, I was wondering what sort of info you could get from a VFD.
    I'm aware that you can have song titles, artist, album etc of a file playing, but would it be possible to show menu information on it to enable me to navigate through the menus of MCE to pick an album or song to play (without the need to turn on TV)? For example, from the opening page of MCE, would the VFD display My Pictures, My Movies, My Music etc and allow me to pick one, then show me the next set of menus?

2. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    From the VFD software I have tested they do support main titles such as My Pictures etc, name title of item etc, but doesn’t show sub menu’s or sub options so if its MCE you want to control without a screen the PDA would seem a better option.

The two PDA options I’ve found so far are Niveus Pocket Remote by www.niveusmedia.com and Rudeo Control from www.rudeo.com unfortunately I haven’t tested either yet

A second option and the one I’m looking at more seriously is a small 7” TFT screen like the Lilliput (http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=306514&cks=SER) they are even available with touch screens (http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=306511&cks=SER) so do away with the mouse

3. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You wonder how they justify the price, as it looks like they use the same panel as the Lilliput, that costs just over £140.

5. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help guys.
    I was hoping to not having to use a seperate screen or PDA, but looks like i might have to.

6. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just seen that DIGN case.
    It does look cool, and would solve my problem. Shame the rest of the case looks so PC like though.

7. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0