1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info for the 'TINY' Plasma Owners

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Pauldepmanager, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Pauldepmanager

Pauldepmanager
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been doing some research on the Tiny Plasma's and I decided to open a new thread so that people who might need this information can find it easily.

The Tiny plasma's are made by a company named Prima Electronics Inc their website is http://www.xoceco.com.cn.

Prima are a subsidiary of Xiamen Overseas Chinese Electronic Co Ltd.

They sell these TV's under the Prima brand name but also have a OEM facility for companies like TINY, ADVENT etc.

From what I have read in various resources is that the shearing and poor picture quality is a common problem with Prima PS42D8 worldwide.

2. SJGIL

SJGIL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Pauldepmanager,

Interesting - I don't suppose for one minute Tiny will admit to any of this as it does go against their whole marketing campaign as they claim to build these in the UK but this may not be the case.

I have a replacement panel coming on Tuesday but I am wondereding now why I am bothering as whilst they fail to see this as a technical issue most if not all their panels are going to suffer with this shearing so why waste any more time.

Off to call them now to cancel the replacement and look for a refund, the start of a major battle I feel involving legal aid no doubt - wish me luck!!!!!

Simon

3. Lawyer237

Lawyer237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. SJGIL

SJGIL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Lawyer237

I am aware of the other thread you have started and await to hear how you get on with Tiny. In the meantime once I get through to the helpdesk in the morning I am going to cancel the replacement panel I have coming on Tuesday and go for a refund based on defects with the panel I have. My current panel suffers with the shearing which Tiny still don't seem to accept as a fault but the SCART one socket keeps losing its connection hence the replacement being agreed. I have decided that I am probably better to refuse a replacement and go for a refund even if it means being hit with a "restocking fee" of £150 as I just cannot afford to lose £1200 on a TV which is not fit for purpose. Would you agree with this approach or should I let them supply a replacement first which will more than likely suffer from shearing then go for a refund - I am torn between the two options?

They have provided others on this forum a refund based on the shearing issue so by this action they must be accepting some level of accountability for the problem?

Regards

Simon

5. Pauldepmanager

Pauldepmanager
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for a refund. Thats what I did this week. If they find no fault with the plasma I will be charged a restocking fee of £150.

6. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 'smearing' isn't a 'fault' it is just a 'bad quality' plasma tv. It smears because of the electronics/screen etc but less of the screen imo though. It ist he electronics driving the screen that aren't quite up to par.

Anyway good luck with getting a refund.

Koing

7. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If it's a faulty screen, then you are entitled to a FULL refund within 30 days of purchase.

8. SJGIL

SJGIL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I accept that the smearing isn't a fault and is down to bad processing but I am suffering with shearing which is a split screen effect or horizontal distortion about every 10 mins or so on every input including component which I believe is a fault.

9. SJGIL

SJGIL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Did they refund you then collect the plasma or have you had to let them collect before they refund?

10. SJGIL

SJGIL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Rampage - I just checked my dates and my plasma was delivered on 16th Dec and I advised Tiny of a number of technical issues I was facing including the shearing on the 14th Jan which is 29 days later - on this basis does this mean that they hve no right to deny me a refund then?

11. Pauldepmanager

Pauldepmanager
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will get a refund after they have picked it up from me on Tuesday. If they find no fault then I will be charged £150 restocking fee.

Getting a refund from Tiny is not easy. But I managed just, because an technical support assistant left himself wide open.

I am not worried about the possibility of being charged £150. I am just glad I am getting rid of the thing.

I too was suffering from the picture shearing. Its very annoying and makes the picture unviewable at times.

My nice NEC VR5 arrived today.

12. SJGIL

SJGIL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have been lucky enough to deal with the same person at Tiny and he has agreed to a refund with no debate whatsoever. My replacement was due on Tuesday so they are going to collect mine still but supply no replacement. Should get a refund in about 2 weeks time.

Left with no TV for 2 weeks will not buy any replacement until I get the refund!!!!

Am glad to see the back of it - saying that tho I have found the guy at Tiny to be very helpful, so lets see how the refund goes!!!!

Simon

13. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that is very different then.

The picture shouldn't 'shear' like that no matter how bad a tv is. The image should be in one piece.

Good luck with a refund and don't let Tiny rip you off.

Koing