Info about the new Sony RDR HX710/910 ?

Ysl

Standard Member
Who knows what's new compared to the 700/900 models ?

If you were thinking about buying a Sony, you should maybe wait....

Thanks

rogerh

Approximately same specs as the models they're replacing except that the larger model (910) will have HDMI port and both models will have Freeview Tuners (AT LAST!).
Sony Centre literature says release is September though.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Sony Centre literature says release is September though
I was told September as well - which would be about a year after the HX1000 and thus sounds about right. This time last year we were all patiently waiting for the 'Easter' release of the HX1000 - but it still didn't happen until Summer.

rogerh

Could you explain a bit about "Duel Layer DVD" please?
Does this mean double the capacity and are there any compatability issues, such as with existing single layer machines or between manufacturers?

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Does this mean double the capacity
Almost - it offers 8.5GB (in real terms a little over 8000MBs you can use) whereas DVDR offers 4.7GB (around 4300MB useable).

are there any compatability issues
It's too early to say. A DVD+R DL recorded with DVD-ROM booktype seems to be very compatible - more so than DVD+R - although any figures you see quoted at present simply aren't worth the paper they are written on as extensive trials still need to be conducted. Certainly it plays on most DVD players/drives I've tried though.

A DVD+R DL which isn't recorded with DVD-ROM booktype doesn't seem very compatible at all - I had half a dozen players reject the disc. Whether consumer electric producers will add DVD-ROM booktype support into their machine's firmware remains to be seen.

E

ernet

rogerh said:
Could you explain a bit about "Duel Layer DVD" please?
Does this mean double the capacity and are there any compatability issues, such as with existing single layer machines or between manufacturers?
.... campare the price between "Duel Layer DVD" and the DVD-R one ;-(

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
campare the price between "Duel Layer DVD" and the DVD-R one
Yes price is a big difference at present (DVD+R DL are approx. 4 or 5 times the price comparing like for like brands). Also 'against' DVD+R DL is that longevity is a total unknown at present - DVD+R/-R are bad enough, it'll be interesting to see how dual layer discs hold up.

Beatnik

Standard Member
rogerh said:
Approximately same specs as the models they're replacing except that the larger model (910) will have HDMI port and both models will have Freeview Tuners (AT LAST!).
Sony Centre literature says release is September though.
That's great news. All I need now is the matching surround sound reciever with wireless S-DIAT speakers (come on Sony!)

rogerh

There's a picture and a bit more info on the new Sony models in the new "Home Cinema Choice - Platinum Edition" and in "What Home Cinema".
Both mags talking about seeing the machine at the recent expo. in LA.
So all looks good - be nice to get them in April and not to have to wait until September/October if anyone from Sony is reading this!!!!!
The mags confirm dual layer on DVD+R, HDMI sockets, ilink and interactive EPG. (Presumably now the Freeview EPH is up and running). :thumbsup:
PS I managed to spell Dual right this time without a hint of Gunfight at the OK Corral!!!

M

Minx

According to several European webshops the RDR-HX710 will be released in April-May. But this model only has an analog tuner so if there will be an UK version with Freeview (RDR-HXD710???) it might show up later. Info about the RDR-HX710 from one of the webshops:
Built-in 160GB Hard Disk Drive
Dual RW Compatible
Compatible with +R Double-Layer disc (8.5GB disc)
Precision Cinema Progressive with 12bit/108MHz Video DAC
D-Matrix Noise Reduction System
HQ+ High Bit Rate Recording Mode on HDD
Dynamic Variable Bit rate Dubbing
i.Link (DV) Input for Camcorder
One-Touch DV Dubbing/ Programme Edit
Pause Live TV
Up to 64x High Speed Dubbing (8x Drive)
Intelligent Scene Chaptering & Visual Search (HDD & DVD-RW VR Mode)
Fast Playback with Sound (HDD)
A/V Sync
MP3 & JPEG Playback (CD-R/RW)
8H Mode (SEP Mode)
Quick Response GUI
ShowView Timer Programming
Optical/Coaxial Digital Audio Output

JamesL

Novice Member
I hope Sony follow Panny and use a 400GB HDD in their top machine. This, with a DVB tuner, will make an impressive combi. I just hope Sony work on some (if not all) of the faults of the GX500, namely buffer for EPG recording, diabling of subtitle recording in a menu option and improve -RW response times. THEN they will be top machines!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Top Bottom