• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Info about Patio Heaters please

• Thread starter Deleted member 174041
  • Start date

nmdale

Bought one off ebay and just erected it. Diddnt come with a gas bottle or a gas regulator/pipe.

Would this do the job? Patio Gas Propane Gas Regulator + 2m Hose + 2 Clips on eBay (end time 01-Dec-10 14:45:19 GMT)

Also do I need a gas bottle to start off with so I can swap fora filled bottle, or do I need to give a deposit of some kind?

Looks suitable to me, but without specifics I don't guarantee it.

As for the gas bottle, you can put down a deposit on a gas bottle, as an example calor gas charge £29.99 - see here, but see your local garden centre/ similar as they may be cheaper!

D

Deleted member 174041

Pop down your local tip/recycler for a swappable gas bottle (don't forget to smile + couple of squid for the tea fund):smashin:

Thats what I was thinking of doing. Dont certain places only take certain makes of gas bottle though?

IronGiant

The ones that end up at the tip are often there because they can't be refilled eg there is no longer a local stockist for some reason. Find out who your local suppliers are and see if you can get one of those at the tip. You will always be able to find a Calor stockist but they aren't necessarily the cheapest.

All Calor cylinders are supplied on a rental basis, with a time limit of 50 years.
The cylinder remains the property of Calor, and can only be refilled by Calor.
So it's effectively a deposit. This is currently around £30 for the 50 years, with a partial refund based on the length of time you have "rented" it for so long as you keep the paperwork. A refill for a 13kg cylinder (most popular size for patio heaters) is ~£23. You take the empty cylinder along and they swap it for a full one. You don't need any paperwork for that so if you can get one at the tip you'll be fine...

However that regulator is specifically for Calor Patio Gas cylinders and it's extremely unlikely you will get one of those at the tip. You may be better to get a cylinder and then get a regulator to fit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 174041

Thanks IG. Quick question, are patio heaters ok to keep shrubs warm in winter? :laugh:

IronGiant

:) possibly, I pefer to use anti-frost netting :)

I only use Calor because I use it camping and I need to know I can get it anywhere. Flogas are an alternative but their website is a bit cagey about prices...

Last edited:

guest5234

Go down the tip and ask for one, see if you can find one with the regulator on and just stick it on your pipe, you can get a refill for about £12 if you spot these farms etc that sell it.

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
Check with your gas supplier before buying the regulator.

Last time I checked (a while ago) there were both snap and left hand screw fittings.

IronGiant

IronGiant

Check with your gas supplier before buying the regulator.

Last time I checked (a while ago) there were both snap and left hand screw fittings.

the Calor ones he linked to use a left handed screw regulator.

IronGiant

yes, that's for Calor Patio Gas, not what he wants for the cylinders he linked to just now. For those he wants a standard screw on one.

eg:

http://www.calortoolbox.co.uk/acatalog/propane-regulators.html

which of those he wants depends on the patio heaters maximum gas useage...

Any info on that Dan? then I can find you a link a bit cheaper than from the Calor shop :)

Last edited:

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
I hope I am not missing something here.:rolleyes:

What he needs is whatever his supplier has. Otherwise he will encounter the old "sorry guv, we don't do that one" when he needs to exchange for a full one.

IronGiant

He has said he most likely plans to get a standard Calor Propane cylinder :thumbsup:

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
My apologies, I missed where he stated this is what his supplier has.

Locally I can get both but the main supplier in my town uses snap fit.

IronGiant

Are these alternative suppliers any cheaper than Calor? There's a couple around here. eg Flogas. I wouldn't mind switching if I could save a couple of pounds on a refill.

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
Look in your local directory and call, there may be a saving.

My nearest supply is a petrol station which I use for convenience over cost.

The trip to go elsewhere will probably negate any saving.

D

Deleted member 174041

How long does the gas stay ok inside the bottle? If I buy one now will it still be ok for next summer?

IronGiant

Yes. :smashin: And you get to party outside on New Years Eve as a bonus :)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom