1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info about Galllo DUE'

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dragoncdcom, Jul 10, 2002.

1. dragoncdcom

dragoncdcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been searching everywhere for info regarding these speakers.. below is the feedback from other forums I have gathered, hopefully someone will find it useful. Basically everyone has great things to say abou them :)

Class 5 speakers from Absolute Sound
    Anthony gallo acoustics nucleus micro system

Sterophile Guide to Home Theater's annual review
    Gallo Nucleus is on the the "Recommended" list

"I did A/B comparisons between the Due' and the Micro at the store and later at home. Although the Micro is a good speaker, the Due' is clearly much better in terms of sound quality. The Due' has a much wider soundstage, better imaging, larger frequency response, and a more detailed treble. "

"Pocket Martin Logan"

"I auditioned the Due and ended up buying a pair.

I am extremely amazed at the sound from these speakers. They are some of the best speakers that I have ever heard. They really do sound like electrostatics."

"Gallo Acoustics Due' (or Bravo) Set-up was not ideal (on shelves in-between many other speakers) but they nonetheless performed well. No coloration at all, soft in the highs (RLJ was a pleasure to hear) and natural in the mid and lower mid-range. Stereo image was large, wide and very solid and held well through a variety of listening positions. This speaker is easy to place and very good. A surprising range for a small speaker, probably goes down to 60-70 Hz. Undemanding or non-critical listening can make due without a sub, and with the right sub this combination is fine for critical listening. At this price range there are other contenders with deeper range, but none that look like this or would be as easy to integrate into a small space-challenged room. "

"I did an A/B comparison of the same scene from JP III with a 5.1 setup of all Micros and LCR Due's with Micro surrounds. The Micros sounded great. Couldn't belive all that sound was coming from those 5 tiny speakers.

The Due's sounded FANTASTIC. The speakers are bigger, heavier, not as stylish (IMHO), and much more expensive...but do they sound great!"

"The Due' are heavy and very solid. My initial concerns about vibrations or being too fragil were unwarranted and they seemed to hold their own. The set-up and location didn't allow me to play very loud for more than a couple of minutes, but they held up well, nice and loud with no harshness or shrill sounds during "Rickie Lee Jones - Magazine". The area was about 14' wide, the speakers were about 7' apart, ceiling 15' (not sure but high), and I was mostly 14-15' back but moved around a lot. One thing I really liked was the soundstage, it went well beyond the speaker boundries and was not directional -- an advantage for large rooms. I'm not trying to sell them, just answer.
    One thing to keep in mind is they are 4 ohm speakers, so you will need a well build amp to play in a large room. I also didn't listen to the Gallo sub but it didn't look big enough for a large area. Maybe an unfair comment, but it is small. "

"I used to have another Micro as a center speaker. After I installed the Due' I removed the center speaker for the following reasons.

- Due' has better sound quality than Micro.
    - Due' has a very wide horizontal dispersion.
    - Center speaker was in an awkward location below the screen.

For off-axis listeners the spatial position of some sounds is sacrificed (as expected), but other aspects of sound quality are affected little if at all."

"Best Minispeaker work of art, with extended treble. Gallo DUE!!
    It sounded like an electrostatic bit it fits in a show box.

The Gallo DUE consists of two gallo speaker spheres connected by a u shaped screen mesh speaker.

What beautiful sound, what gorgeous design."

"Gallo Micro Systems. These seem softer and less harsh than the other systems. Sound excellent when listening to female vocals. Initially, the bass was over bearing. This was corrected by adjusting the level on the powered subwoofer. Smaller demo room than some of the others. Very cool looking particularly in stainless. Don't care for the stands. NAD Receiver..not sure of model
    Sound 8, Looks 9.

Conclusion:
    I really liked the Gallo system. Excluding price, it was the best compromise between sight and sound. To me, the Gallo's seemed more mellow than most of the other offerings. I really liked the sound of the Energy Encore. It's just a little to "big and shiny" for the room. Now, if I can just get some of you experts to suggest an appropriate receiver for the gallos, I'll be all set. "

"Gallo Micro System -- Of the micro satellite systems, I liked this one the best. I think my "naive" ears are overly sensitive to what a number of people characterize as bright. I'm also guessing that being an "aging male" that my high frequency hearing isn't very good (maybe gone) because I'm not bothered by the attenuated high frequencies as much as other people. "

I don't own the Gallos myself, but they're my top recommended speaker in the under $2000 for a complete system category. I recently helped a friend buy a set, and I'll be helping him set them up next month. Note that the Gallos sound their best with the LCR speakers at or near ear level, if this is feasible. I heard their new Duet model at CES ($300 each), and was blown away. You have to spend a LOT more money to get sound better than this (for my own personal preferences, the next step up would be Soundline or ML for planars, or Aerial for cones).

I heard the Due's at CES in a hotel room, so can't comment on their ability to fill the size room you mention. Also can't comment on off-axis performance (I was in the sweet spot). The main reason I mention the ear level requirement, is some people like to mount these on the ceiling for LCR, and the ceiling bounce really muddies the speaker's sound (I imagine you could help this out with sound treatment). I'll be setting up the Micros in my friend's room in early June, I'll write up a full review. Punch and mid-bass were no issue with the Due's, at least in the mid-sized hotel room in CES. Can't comment how they'd do in larger rooms, but I doubt if they'd equal slam-meister speakers like the larger Klipsches or the M&Ks (which offer great slam and better musicality than do the Klipsches). If slam and dynamics are the #1 criteria, these wouldn't be my first choice. I'd rate these as an excellent compromise between slam and musicality. Most of the friends I consult for consider musical performance to be very important. Mid-bass was clear, with no sign of doubling, dynamics were excellent. These handled the pod racer scene from Episode I with no signs of strain. I feel you'd have to spend close to $1000 for each speaker to substantially better the performance of the Due's. Unfortunately, they are very difficult to locate a dealer for an audition.

did listen to the Gallo Due', B&W VM1 and the KEF KHT and posted my thoughts here helping a friend shop for a new system
    The Due were clearly superior, worth the $600 price tag, the KEF was good and the best price-performance at $250, but the B&W looked better than they sounded. M&K was on my list but I couldn't find a place to audition (NYC much less!). If you are looking for in-the-wall there are other alternatives, and if your budget is higher you can find superior on-the-wall (triad) but at this price point the Gallo has a lot to offer and is tough to beat. All need a good sub -- not the one bundled with the speaker package.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Did the Duets have better off-axis performance (the reason for your ear-level comment?) than the Nucleus Micros?
    What kind of punch did they have? How is the mid-bass?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, dynamic, and very natural (I auditioned with Cassandra Wilson)

quote:
    Do you think that speakers so small will provide enough sound in my room?

Yes. They are heavy, very solid and play loud. Listen to M&K K-17 and Xenon before you choose, however, if you want loudness from a small package.

mini-review of Gallo due
    I auditioned the Gallos a couple of days ago. The experience was in line with my expectations. It was in an HT store, with a 5.1 setup. Only the front side speakers were dues. The center channel and the rears were micros. The cute little Gallo sub was in use. The highs put out by the system were fabulous. The lows just weren't there.

There was a set of equivalently priced Atlantic Technology speakers (system 170) also set up, so I asked the store manager to let me here them. Those speakers were way over-bassed, and the highs sounded like the speakers were under water. They were nearly unintelligible. Maybe speaker positon had something to do with it, but I coudn't ask the manager to unbolt the speakers from the wall, and AT wasn't on my shopping list anyway.

[​IMG]

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    When do I get a set to play with?;)

3. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it me or do the DUES look like toy telephones? ;)

4. fabryuk

fabryuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Black colour actually looks much nicer than white. Well, any negative review.

Dragoncdcom: I am in the same boat as you, seen most of the review. I am not surprised on the positive review considering the price. But may it is just me (psychological factor), how could a small speaker that expensive ;). It feels like buying speakers that are larger in size are more worth it ;) ;) . So, back to the questions, how does it perform compare to similarly priced speakers (and pbviously bigger size) e.g. M&K, B&W etc.???

5. dragoncdcom

dragoncdcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    although the "bad" reviews on Audioreview say that the Micro is only between Midfi to Hifi, which is actually quite a compliment for a single driver speaker. The DUE' is regarded as significantly better than the Micro, so that "should" put it in the realm of Hifi.

Also, Gallo began using different (better) drivers in the Micro about a year ago, so most of the Audioreview reviews are based on the older drivers.

There are a 2 unique features that set the DUE apart to justify its small size and price. First, the "S2" technology / all metal construction enables it to play as if it were a much larger enclosure. Reaching 60-80hz is amazing for two 3" drivers. Second, its CDT tweeter. Very highly regarded in Gallo's previous high end models and boasts high speed and wide dispersion.

Regarding size/price, personally I would rather pay twice as much for a small speaker that fits on my wall than a larger speaker with equal performance that I have to re-arrange my furniture around.

As for comparison to high end speakers, I am hopeful.. I ordered 4 of them based only on these reviews since I was unable to find any dealer that has them for demo.. I will post my "unbiased" results soon :)

6. fabryuk

fabryuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I guess u import them from US then?? How much does it cost u? Do you mind telling me? The cheapest I have seen is $450

7. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Why does S2 technology and all metal construction allow it to play as if it were in a much larger enclosure?

BTW, what is S2 technology?

8. dragoncdcom

dragoncdcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "These satellites use our proprietary 'S2' technology, which extends low frequency response a full two octaves lower than otherwise possible. The Micro satellite speakers in this carton are only 4' in diameter, but combined with our subwoofer, behave as though they were as large as bookshelf systems many times their size. They never sound thin, as do other satellite systems their size. The enclosures are steel. The spherical shape compresses the back wave of the driver to a point source, this maintains phase integrity. Eliminating crossovers allows a sound stage depth and resolution impossible for conventional speakers, no matter how expensive or large they might be."

Also, they say the metal enclosure is as acoustically inert as ceramic

9. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand how they get rid of crossovers with a single driver unit, but surely there must be one in the Due - they aren't running the tweeter full range I take it?