Influence of light to LCD-contrast

daxie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Already several users have mentioned that particular lighting can help a lot in the contrast, and thus perceived black levels of a LCD-set.
While off course we all agree that more light gives better blacks, question should be how we can achieve an optimal lighting situation in a as dark as possible room (which most people prefer for movie watching).

So you tech savvies or experienced people, what are your views on this?

What would improve blacks the most?

Should one look for a philips-ambilight kind of a solution (thus placing a light source behind the screen, glowing off at the edges)? Or a light behind the screen, but at a different height, shining on the back of the screen? Or a directional light in front of the screen, aimed at the screen? Or an ambient light, filling the room with a soft glow? Or even otherwise?
and then which colour tone should the light have? Do we look at cold or warm lights? Or a standard 6500K light source? Which bulbs/lights give which tone? Which does a TL give? And an energy saving bulb? And a regular bulb? And a halogen spot?

Hope to get a good discussion on this one!

Daxie

What you want is a 6500k temperature bulb, or as close as you can get. If you're not wanting to spend much, one of these is great:

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/variant_detail.asp?var=3676

Regardless of LCD or not, you don't want to be using any television in a dark room anyway; it's just awful on your eyes.

Black level does not = contrast though. If the blacks are getting darker when you turn on the light, the whites are getting darker too. Most LCDs are insanely bright though, so it's a good thing. :)

I replaced my ceiling light with one of those bulbs, and got a lampshade that helps diffuse the light. It might be better with the 25w of that bulb and behind the set, but it looks good enough to me.

I hear there's some company that makes a small bulb that velcros onto the back of your display, and outputs a pure 6500k light, but they were around £50 if I remember correctly.

andrewfee said:
What you want is a 6500k temperature bulb, or as close as you can get. If you're not wanting to spend much, one of these is great:

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/variant_detail.asp?var=3676

Why 6500K? (Just wanting an explanation, it's my nature I'm afraid...

Black level does not = contrast though. If the blacks are getting darker when you turn on the light, the whites are getting darker too. Most LCDs are insanely bright though, so it's a good thing. :)
Indeed, that's the reason

I hear there's some company that makes a small bulb that velcros onto the back of your display, and outputs a pure 6500k light, but they were around £50 if I remember correctly.

So best place would be at the back of the unit... Why is that?

daxie

daxie said:
So best place would be at the back of the unit... Why is that?

daxie

I'm guessing its just handy for occlusion. You don't want light directly into your eyes, just a general lighting of the area you are looking towards. Behind the set means you get light on the wall around where you are looking, without any glare.

You want 6500k, as that's considered "neutral" and is what your television should be calibrated to. (although it could be some way off if it hasn't had professional calibration done)

It's not as big a deal with LCD, but you don't want a light reflecting off the screen causing glare, and preferably not being directly visible to you either. (the bulb I mean)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom