Inflated Transfer Fees

CFC1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chelsea really do have a lot to answer for. I can see where everyone is coming from, being priced out of the market for even average players. Will the current situation end anytime soon, or will Abramovich's billions keep it going for the foreseeable future?

It has come down dramatically in the last 5 years or so, e.g: Real Madrid have just paid a little more for Van Nistelrooy than Liverpool did for Heskey.

Some players still go for huge amounts here & on the continent but they are the top bunch, we won't see the likes of Buffon moving for £30m+ again in the near future.

The only team really paying over the odds for any particular player is Chelsea & seeing as it's one price for Chelsea, one for everyone else, it doesn't affect anyone else & only Chelsea lose/win whichever way you look at it. The only thing it affects is other teams possibilities of purchasing players that are on the Chelsea radar but I'm convinced even that is over for your average player - only players who are capable of a 1st team place anywhere in the world would choose Chelsea over another offer. I think the lesser players are wising up to the cash v football decision.

Man U may have paid over the odds for Carrick but Fergie is convinced he's the exact man he needs, English, Premiership proven etc...not just a decent midfielder - he wanted Michael Carrick. That sort of over pricing I can understand, £16m for Ferreira I can't.

ps. Didn't realise Mahamadou Diarra had left Lyon for Madrid yesterday, missed that one. Cost them £17.6m & Man Utd were told to match what Essien went for. So there's your Chelsea price factor again.

The teams cashpile grows every year.
It doesn't look good for the future.

God help the less off teams who struggle to stay where they are , like tottenham etc.:)

DJT75 said:
Man U may have paid over the odds for Carrick..... English, Premiership proven etc...

I agree with everything in your post apart from this!
What has Carrick done in the Premiership to be considered proven? IMO, Lampard, Gerrard, Keane, Vieira, Robbie Savage (!), now they are proven performers....:smashin:

Savage? Please don't degrade yourself any further... ;) :)

So you're insinuating Carrick probably doesn't and in future will never live up to the fee. As a Chelski fan you're complaining because... :D

On a more serious note, what is most humourous is that he was bought presuambly to fill in Keane's boots...even getting his No16 shirt. However the only thing Spurs fans on this forum seemed to agree on was Carrick can't/won't tackle to save his life...

LFC_SL said:
...he was bought presuambly to fill in Keane's boots...even getting his No16 shirt. However the only thing Spurs fans on this forum seemed to agree on was Carrick can't/won't tackle to save his life...

But tell me he can score goals or head a ball, or kick with his left foot, or .....

Hey, I ain't defending our purchase of SWP, but..... I suggest it was a case of not letting anyone else have him. Anyhow, given the chance, I still feel he will come good! Like Wayne Bridge, he is a confidence player and needs a run in the team to produce his best :smashin:

Carrick's not a Keane replacement, just because Keane's gone & Carrick's come in doesn't mean he's his replacement. Man Utd play a different system now, Rooney comes back & gets the ball so you don't need a Keane type player charging around. He's seen Carrick at Spurs, keeping possession, passing accurately & taking the odd dead ball, that's what Man Utd need in the middle of the park & that's why he bought him. He's proven at the top level to do that job.

DJT75 said:
......He's seen Carrick at Spurs, keeping possession, passing accurately & taking the odd dead ball, that's what Man Utd need in the middle of the park & that's why he bought him.

Where's Eric "so good, his mother named him twice" Djemba Djemba?

CFC1 said:
Where's Eric "so good, his mother named him twice" Djemba Djemba?

Isn't he warming the bench at Villa Park these days?

CFC1 said:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Another class Fergie buy, in the mould of Taibi. :D

You gotta love the way these African nations flirt their talents on the world stage for the blinkered big spenders of Europe. Djemba Djemba, Diouf, Essien :D

Chelsea didn't start this.. ManYoo have been doing this for years... and as for not living up to their price tag:

Veron = £28m!!!

I see that previous Chelsea target, winger Joaquin has joined Valencia from Real Betis for £16mil! Considering the money we have spent on wingers in the recent times, that looks an absolute steal for Valencia....

CFC1 said:
I see that previous Chelsea target, winger Joaquin has joined Valencia from Real Betis for £16mil! Considering the money we have spent on wingers in the recent times, that looks an absolute steal for Valencia....

Dunno, Liverpool have been tracking him for years & from what I've seen he's worth £10m top whack - far too inconsistent for me. Luis Garcia keeps him out the Spanish team lately so can't be all that.

DJT75 said:
Dunno, Liverpool have been tracking him for years & from what I've seen he's worth £10m top whack - far too inconsistent for me. Luis Garcia keeps him out the Spanish team lately so can't be all that.

Madrid were thinking of buying him for a couple of seasons too and didn't in the end.

I think he was the next big thing a few seasons back but has been too inconsistent in recent seasons to seal a deal. When he stayed at Betis for a few seasons after there was interest ,you can tell the 'big boys' were scared of taking the risk on him.

I think that Valencia are taking a risk at that money, but I would love to see him play well for them - always liked tricky wingers (like SWP!!! :D ).

CFC1 said:
Hey, I ain't defending our purchase of SWP, but..... I suggest it was a case of not letting anyone else have him.

WRONG!

SWP was offered to Arsenal THREE times for under £10m and they turned him down each time. I got that some months ago in the Botanic Inn in Belfast from his father when I asked him, in person, why he went to Chelsea and not Arsenal. He was quite angry at this as well.

DJT75 said:
You gotta love the way these African nations flirt their talents on the world stage for the blinkered big spenders of Europe. Djemba Djemba, Diouf, Essien :D

Essiens the expection, hes doing well at Chelski now, hes a quality player. He needed a bit of time to settle into English life and the game.

:thumbsup:

neil666 said:
Essiens the expection, hes doing well at Chelski now, hes a quality player. He needed a bit of time to settle into English life and the game.

:thumbsup:

Absolutely! Because the Likes of Liverpool and Man Utd pay over the odds crappy duds shouldn't deflect from the fact that there are excellent players that have come out of Africa that are worth the big money. Essien as you say, Drogba, Eto'o.

Zidane was involved in big transfers. In their primes, other Africans like Makelele, Vieira, Desailly would have attracted massive fees nowadays and would be worth every penny......

CFC1 said:
Absolutely! Because the Likes of Liverpool and Man Utd pay over the odds crappy duds shouldn't deflect from the fact that there are excellent players that have come out of Africa that are worth the big money. Essien as you say, Drogba, Eto'o.

Zidane was involved in big transfers. In their primes, other Africans like Makelele, Vieira, Desailly would have attracted massive fees nowadays and would be worth every penny......

And Chelski don't pay over the odds for 'crappy duds' - SWP, Veron, and a few others...........

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom