Infinity Primus Setup

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by kageyu, Aug 17, 2013.

1. kageyu

kageyu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and had a few questions about how to get the most bang for my buck.

I purchased a set of infinity speakers p363s, p153s, pc351. I spoke with the seller about returning the p153s for p163s. However, when the speakers came, the p153s were lareger than I thought and heavy. So, I'm wondering if it is worth $80 to excahnge them or just keep them. I'm going to use them as rear speakers.

I was thinking it might be better to put the $80 into a better receiver (I'll post a thread in that forum - need help with choosing a receiver) or get a center rear speaker. I could probably pick up a pc351 for a little more and have a center rear speaker. Is a 6.1 setup that much better than a 5.1.

I am replacing Klipsch Synergy Quintet III speakers that are attached to an older yamaha (htr-5940). I forget what sub I have, but I like it.

Thanks,
    Phil

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,166
    I'm a little confused, did you make a typo?

Did you actually take possession of the 153 or the 163?

Primus 163 - Infinity

Primus 153 - Infinity

Primus 143 - Infinity

If you are really trying to minimize the size of the rear speakers, then consider the Primus P143 with 4" bass drivers, but with reduced size comes reduced performance.

The low end on the P143 is 100hz (-3dB), tolerable for Rear/Side speakers. These are extremely limited as general speakers, but are probably OK for Surround speakers.

The P153 is 58hz, that is pretty good for a Rear/Side and decent for a front.

The P163 is 49hz at -3dB, which is pretty good for an all round speaker. One would assume the -6dB response would be very close to 40hz making this a pretty decent music speaker.

Primus PDF Spec sheet -

http://us.infinitysystems.com/tl_fi...nfinity Home/Specsheets/Primus/P143_PI_EN.pdf

As to the Center, though it is not always functionally practical, I would say get the biggest and best Center you can. The specs on the Centers are about the same, but the larger PC351 has the additions of midrange drivers which is a real advantage as it lowers the crossover on the bass drivers.

I would be VERY eager to hear your opinions on the Infinity Primus P363 when you get them. It is not an easy speaker to find and audition,, so any opinions you have would be greatly appreciated.

This is a very rare speaker in the UK, far more common in the USA, and one would assume, priced pretty reasonably.

Infinity Primus P363 Floor-standing speaker at Crutchfield.com

Priced EACH at this link.

Steve/bluewizard

3. kageyu

kageyu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply,

I have the p153s right now. I can upgrade to p163s for $80, but since I'm using them as rear speakers, I wonder if it is worth the money. I think I'm leaning towards not upgrading for the extra money unless the overwhelming opinion here is that is a mistake.

Now, to pair it with a receiver. I've already started a thread in the other formum about this. I have been recommended to look at either the Yamaha A1020 or A2020. Both are a little more than I wanted to spend, but maybe I will find a sale. I don't have to buy right now.

Thanks,
    Phil

4. kageyu

kageyu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been doing some more research. One other thing you should know is my couch will eventually be very close to the back wall (maybe 2 feet away give or take a few inches) and I have to mount the rear speakers on the back wall since one of the side walls has a window where I should mount the speaker. I have my current surround speakers about 2 feet above listening position, but a few feet from each corner. I'm thinking about moving the new speakers to be direclty in the corners.

I think the p163s (with no rear center) would be a better option than keeping the p153s and getting a rear center since the couch is so close to the rear wall.

Thanks,
    Phil

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,166
    How big is your room?

In my opinion, stick with a standard configuration, meaning either 5.1 or 7.1 because that is how the movies are encoded. Other configurations are synthesized by you AV Processor.

As to the P153, if the rear are limited to Surround duties and you see no other use for them in the future, the P153 is probably the ideal speaker. It has deep enough bass response that you could move it to some other Stereo duty in the future, say to your computer, and it should give very good music performance for casual listening.

The P163 while they are very good speakers with deeper bass response, they are physically bigger. They are a more versatility speaker and have a higher potential to be moved to some other location and provide good service should you decide to upgrade in the future.

But when viewed strictly as Surround speakers, I don't see anything to be gained in moving up to the P163. Though again, it depends on the size of your room.

Equally, in my opinion, the P143 are too small and too limited. At best they are limited strictly to surround speakers, and are of very limited worth should you try to move them to some other application in the future.

So, in evaluating the speakers, are we looking specifically at this one surround sound application, or are we buying with an eye of other applications in the future. For surround, I don't seen any need to upgrade or down grade the P153. In the current application and even in other applications that might arise in the future, it should perform very well.

However, if you are strongly looking to the future when the P163 might be retired from Surround Sound, and you might use them in another application, or try to sell them, the P163 is going to have the highest potential.

As a Surround Sound, I think the P153 is your best choice. So, it is not this one application, in my mind, that is the deciding factor, but how and where the speaker will be used in the future when they are retired from surrounds. Though I will say, as a general speaker, or if you try to sell them, the P153 would not fall short as a good general purpose speaker for any application.

It is a difficult choice to make, and purely up to you preferences and priorities. But in my opinion, the P153 are a sufficiently good quality general purpose speaker, that they should do a fine job of it.

But then ... that is just my opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

6. kageyu

kageyu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not a huge room. 11.5ft X 19ft. I was hoping someone would say the p153s would do a good job on surround duty. I'm looking to use the speakers for only surrond, so I might stick with them. I will have to buy some brackets. Right now my surround speakers are about 2 ft in from each wall (the short wall) and about 2.5ft about the listening positon. I was going to mount the p153s about 3 more feet apart and at the same level.

Are there any free tools for drawing quick room diagrams? I'm sure it would help more if I could draw a layout.

Thanks,
    Phil