Infinity extension lead

ancas1ter

Standard Member
I hope someone can help a technology illiterate who was cold called and accepted an offer to have Infinity. No problem with how it works, just that the router and modem have ended up in a location which does not give good WIFI coverage throughout the house. Can I put any form of extension lead either from the master socket to the router or can I put a much longer lead from the router to the WIFI hub. The whole kit is standard BT supply.
Thanks,

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
You could use a longer ethernet cable instead of the fairly short one which connects the Home Hub and modem.

Welcome to AVF :)

ancas1ter

Standard Member
Thanks very much for the answer. I probably need about 10metres to get the hub into the centre of the house. Would this be too long

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Yep, or if you want to move both the Home Hub and the modem then you can grab a longer RJ11 cable.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Yep, or if you want to move both the Home Hub and the modem then you can grab a longer RJ11 cable.
That would be the least good option however because the DSL signal is more susceptible to the electrical "noise" in a modern dwelling than Ethernet over twisted pair.

ancas1ter

Standard Member
I said on my first post that I was technology illiterate and one answer showed that I am. Homeplugs- I had never heard of them, now having googled and got a little understanding, I have one more question. Do the homeplugs need to be on the same ring main circuit or do they just have to go back to the same meter? I have my PC in an extension that has it's own ring main and the router is in the original part of the house on a different ring main. Thanks to everyone for their help and answers

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
That would be the least good option however because the DSL signal is more susceptible to the electrical "noise" in a modern dwelling than Ethernet over twisted pair.

Works fine for me. Engineer told me the sync speed was 27.4Mb and I get 27Mb throughput.

I said on my first post that I was technology illiterate and one answer showed that I am. Homeplugs- I had never heard of them, now having googled and got a little understanding, I have one more question. Do the homeplugs need to be on the same ring main circuit or do they just have to go back to the same meter? I have my PC in an extension that has it's own ring main and the router is in the original part of the house on a different ring main. Thanks to everyone for their help and answers

Have a read through the http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/731564-homeplug-faq.html

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Works fine for me. Engineer told me the sync speed was 27.4Mb and I get 27Mb throughput.
Exactly the point - for others it may not. Which is why Ethernet over twisted pair is a better solution. If you are pulling a cable anyway, there is no reason not to pull twisted pair and use Ethernet.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Exactly the point - for others it may not. Which is why Ethernet over twisted pair is a better solution. If you are pulling a cable anyway, there is no reason not to pull twisted pair and use Ethernet.
Yes, which is why it was the last option after Ethernet and Homeplugs.

ancas1ter

Standard Member
Thanks everyone-I have ordered a homeplug starter kit as it seems preferable to lifting floor boards to install a cable. I will let you know how it works but thanks again,

ancas1ter

Standard Member
Homeplugs--- where have you been all my life!! Now installed and working brilliantly with no loss of speed against the ethernet cable and much faster than WIFI. Thanks to everyone for your help,

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Homeplugs--- where have you been all my life!! Now installed and working brilliantly with no loss of speed against the ethernet cable and much faster than WIFI. Thanks to everyone for your help,
Good to hear :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom