Inferior Watchmen UK BD

Abstracto

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just read on Blu ray.com that the UK release of Watchmen will only be the theatrical cut and not the extended cut like the US version, also the extras will be diffrerent, I hope that the US is region free as I'll buy that one, we always end up with the short end of the stick on titles!:thumbsdow

Blu-ray.com - UK Gets Watchmen Theatrical Cut Only

Warner Bros it is then.:thumbsup: Import for me.

Unless they have a sudden change of policy.:D

That's poo for UK,(and possibly European), fans of the movie that don't know any better.

Warner Bros it is then.:thumbsup: Import for me.

Unless they have a sudden change of policy.:D

Hmm, fingers crossed they don't. I think Paramount should take a good look at themselves for this and give us the option of buying either.

Just read on Blu ray.com that the UK release of Watchmen will only be the theatrical cut and not the extended cut like the US version, also the extras will be diffrerent, I hope that the US is region free as I'll buy that one, we always end up with the short end of the stick on titles!:thumbsdow

Blu-ray.com - UK Gets Watchmen Theatrical Cut Only

Seems like stupid marketing on three counts :

1) Some people will boycott the UK release because they perceive a longer cut to be better.

2) Some people who may have liked the film but not enough to buy the Blu Ray may have bought a longer cut out of curiosity.

3) Some people, like me, will now postpone their purchase and wait to read the reviews and to see if the longer cut does eventually come to the UK.

oh man that double sucks.... huge :thumbsdow

fingers crossed for region free...:lease:

What about sound formats? We know Warner favour True HD, what about Paramount?

They both should be technically superb but we also know the hyperbole surrounding both lossless codecs. Mines better than yours type of thing.:D

What about sound formats? We know Warner favour True HD, what about Paramount?

They both should be technically superb but we also know the hyperbole surrounding both lossless codecs. Mines better than yours type of thing.:D

Still hoping for a DTS-HD just so I can get standard DTS out of my amp.

I heard the TC v EC some time ago and hoped it was just a rumour.

Paramount's and Dreamworks's loss is Warner's gain.

1. Zodiac - Paramount took months to get this into Blu and lost to Warner in overall sales despite the BD being inferior in AV department.

2. Sweeney Todd - Warner released this early which many fans imported by not waiting for the U.S release.

3. The Island - Yet to be released in the U.S but many fans of the movie probably have this in their BLUbary.

4. Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Paramount shook hands with Criterion for superior treatment but got this region locked forcing many to grab the Warner release.

5. Watchmen - Fans of the movie would probably have to buy both releases to experience both versions.

Think I'm going to rent this and hold off for the super deluxe directors cut which will no doubt appear near Christmas..

Yep it will.

I am waiting for the Black Freighter version that incorporates the animation into the directors cut of the film.

On the plus side, the US version can be had for only £3 more than the UK version.

DVDWorldUSA.com

Still bloody expensive but it's not a cheap disc over here either.

So the US is getting DTS Master audio? Well according to the picture of the back cover they are. Warners amazes me at times.

186 minutes:eek:

Glad I haven't pre-ordered this on either UK or American yet.
Judging by the way it is going I will have to stump up a gold bar to import it from the States now providing it stays region free of course.
Crazy how the studios are messing us about these days.

So the US is getting DTS Master audio? Well according to the picture of the back cover they are. Warners amazes me at times.

186 minutes:eek:

The problem with the US edition is that (AFAIK) it is only a single BD disk. So Warner will crowbar a 186mins film and all the extra material onto a single disk (they seem to have a phobia for 2 BD sets). It's a pity as Paramount are spreading everything over 2 BD disks, but of course only offering the theatrical version (although we'll have to wait and see if the DC is better than this or not).

It's difficult to know which to go for. I will wait for the reviews first.

Last edited:
I've seen this sort of thing before about a cut being inferior. How do you know the theatrical cut is inferior? Has anybody seen the longer cut? it maybe that some of that stuff was exised for a reason.

So maybe we should wait and see as someone has said there will more than likely be a super deluxe version kicking around come christmas time anyway and we all know that paramount AND warner release region free as a rule.

If this is a big deal buy the US version play have it listed at 16.99 that doesn't sound to bad to me.

If you go to some of the American forums some of them are bitching about about not having the theatrical cut!!

Thought this was 3 discs, film, extras and pointless digital copy? 3 hours film + losssless sound=has to be close to the BD-50 limit?

The limited box looks rather cool too.:thumbsup:

Sorry that's 17.99 on playsua

The problem with the US edition is that (AFAIK) it is only a single BD disk. So Warner will crowbar a 186mins film and all the extra material onto a single disk (they seem to have a phobia for 2 BD sets). It's a pity as Paramount are spreading everything over 2 BD disks, but of course only offering the theatrical version (although we'll have to wait and see if the DC is better than this or not).

It's difficult to know which to go for. I will wait for the reviews first.

Not too worried about that. AVC compression can go down to really low bitrates before affecting picture. It will probably have much less audio tracks than something from the UK that will help.

I know Kill bill is still an hour shorter but that has PCM 6.4mbps Lossless plus 3 DD 5.1 and 4 full bitrate DTS tracks. It still has 8GB left on the disc which should be plenty for an extra hour.

Last edited:
Is the extended version meant to be better then?

I might just get the UK one anyway. I'm not bothered about extras

I think that the US gets DTS, and the UK get TrueHD. This makes a difference to my optical 5.1 setup. US is better.

wow, Movietyme are doing a good job these days of out pricing themselves as far as i'm concerned:thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom