InfaRed Recievers - HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by clarkster2005, Jan 22, 2008.

1. clarkster2005

clarkster2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys - I need some advice please, I'm new to this game so please help if you can.

I am doing the normal these days, fake chimney wall, lcd on there with speakers and a feature (for the missus !).

What I want to do is have all the equipment, (Its not much just sky HD, Amp, 360) all in a cupboard. Not windows vista like some people have done (I don't have the dosh !).

What I need the help for is for infa red controller so I can put the receiver somewhere in the front room and this transmits to the one in
    the cupboard so I can control all the components without them showing. So use SKY HD remote, Amp remote etc all through this reciever.

Where can I get this ???, I have had a quick look and most say they work for all equipment except SKY HD as they use IRDA remotes ?, is this the case ?.

Your help is greatly appreciated and will solve my constant headache when I think about all the work that needs to be arranged.

2. Ambulance Andy

Ambulance Andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Your request is very near to how I solved my solution. You could use the one-for-all products which are FM IR senders, but they are quite ugly and cumbersome I think even with extension IR eyes.

What I installed was a dicrete solution made by Keene Electronics. www.keene.co.uk

I have my amp, Sky HD, + DVD player all hidden away in an Alphason cabinet underneath my wall mounted TV. I replaced the clear glass fronted cabinet with tempered glass to hide all the AV equipment from distracting my view of the TV.
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conte...pt~ctv~subdept~AVFURNITURE~brand~alphason.htm

I was able to still use the Sky HD throuh the tempered glass, but not the amp or DVD player.

From Keene I have an IR distribution amplifier, which is a small black box (mains powered by an adaptor) which has a wired IR receiver much like the IR eyes that you can get for Sky. Part no: IRBKITS. I actually bought the slightly cheaper version which comes without the IR receiver. Part No: IRKBIT. http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=irbkits

For the IR receiver, I opted for a wall pattress version. as I had chased the walls out for my AV cables to the TV, it was no problem to hide this behind my Speaker

You can then choose from a variety of IR eyes that distribute IR to your cabinet or each device. I used the side firing wands that you stick to the front of each device Part no: IRSFW.

There are a range of extension cables + you can plug in other IR Senders into a jack on the distribution amp.

By the way the IR receiver in the sky HD box is hidden. It is to the right of the central front of the machine where the blue circle spins around.

Good luck.

3. Ambulance Andy

Ambulance Andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Clarkster I had no problems at all using IR senders with my Sky HD. The remote may well be IRDA, but that is fairly normal these days on most newish products (2001 onwards) IRDA = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_Data_Association

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    SkyHD is not IRDA, the only IRDA remote I can think of is the Pace 4000 cable box. HD is different codes to other sky, though sky+ controls it too. The keene system works fine, or there's QED for a smarter solution, or else a Harmony 895, which comes with a RF base for this application, and is a cracking all in one remote for a basic install like this.

5. lochie

lochie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi ,

Go along with Andy's view on this. The keen thing has one blaster type IR wand and with a little care on positioning I have controlling my SKY HD and DVD player. I use of the simple IR wand for the AMP.

My gears is in the corner opposite the TV, we use a 10 meter extension on the eye which is below the plasma (That is a standard eye nothing fancy) and it works a treat. Until I got the Harmony last week it worked fine with all the remotes.

I also have Video senders which relay the IR commands to the SKYbox working along side the keen thing.

Oh PS the people a Keen are really good you get to talk to real techies to advice you.

Lochie

6. MitsiTurbo

MitsiTurbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Does anyone know if its possible to add more than 4 low power emitters to the Keene system?

7. lochie

lochie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Interesting , Can you daisy chain 2 boxes ?

8. MitsiTurbo

MitsiTurbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Not sure tbh. But they do sell this to have two inputs into one box:

http://www.keene.co.uk/multi.php?mycode=KA109

Maybe will work on the outputs aswell?

Im going to need my unit to work with 8 devices and would obviously prefer to do it off just the one.

9. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,368
    They do a high powered emitter. This can be mounted in a cupboard and can probably control all of the equipment with one wand as long as positioned correctly. So you deon't necessarily need 8 emitters

10. clarkster2005

clarkster2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ambulkance Andy - What have you gone for then ?

11. clarkster2005

clarkster2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW thanks for the reply, im liking this idea of the harmony kit. But do you think its a bit much as I only plan to put SKY HD, AMP and possibly XBOX 360 in the cupboard. How does it acutally work ?, will I have a unit in the cupboard and all the equipment plugs into it ??. Any help appreciated.

12. clarkster2005

clarkster2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys - appreciate all your responses. Im going to go for the Keene amp. Just another one for you if you don't mind. I need a Xbox360 HD AV Cable, anyone know where I can get a 5 metre one ??. Many thanks.

13. hopefulharmon

hopefulharmon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.:clap: I wonder if anyone has a solution to my slight twist on the ir thing.

I have a Harmonkardon avr630 which has the option of a zone 2 .

This means the same avr can be playing sky in the lounge whilst i listen to a cd in the "zone 2" . there is a hole on the back of the amp t oplug in an ir reciever for the zone2 so that the avr doesnt get confused about which room it is responding to.

when i bought the setup a few years ago it was impoossible to get hold of harmon kardons official zone 2 ir reciever so i made do with something from keene that i tried to modify.

i have set it up with the the ir distribution amp from keen in the hifi cabinet , keens wideband ir reciever in the kitchen , a length of telephone cable as the wire running between the 2 and i have soldered teh cat 5 cable to the stereo jacks. the output from the keen ir distribution amp takes a stereo jack - this would normaly be where the ir wand would be plugged in. Instead of pluggining an ir wand into the ir output of the ir amp i have put the stereo end of a stereo to 2 mono cable, with one of the mono outputs plugging directly into the zone 2 ir input. It works 50% of the time.:confused:

Can anyone recomend something that can recieve an ir signal , transmit it wirelessly then convert it into an electrical signal that can pass direct to my avr without having to use ir emiting wands. :thumbsup:

the keen ir reciever seems to get confused by the kitchen lighting. - works best when the lights are off. I tried repeating the soldering process to produce a better contact but this hasnt worked.

we are about to change the kitchen and I am also wondering about options fo rmounting an IR reciever discreetly e.g. a button style in the roof. I will stil have the problem of converting the signal so it runs into the back of the avr.:)

14. clarkster2005

clarkster2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mate - Reading all the threads it doesn't mention using the keene kit if the equipment is stored away upstairs in a cupboard ?. The room im storing the equipment is directly above prob about 7 metres away. Think this kit will still be sufficient ?. Thanks.