Infant dies of hot water burns - boiler may be at fault

Ayub

Distinguished Member
I'm sorry i could not think of a better heading "Infant".

I am aware as most forum users a child died of 85% burns. This was due to the boiler "Exploding". The news today continued on radio and said there were 3.5 MILLION Boilers instaleld and from his tone he kinda of told you it may be a problem with them.

I would like to know which boiler was faulty. I cannot find the story on google.
Does anyone know the details.
 

stevefish69

Well-known Member
We pulled the fuse on our immersion heater spur as the switch was in the airing cupboard with the hot water tank and kept being switched on by accident.

Was thinking more about saving energy but in view of this accident may be an idea for everyone to do.
 

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
Hot water cylinders are fed by a tank in the loft sounds, like the immersion heater thermostat failed and overheated, forcing the boiling water over the vent in the loft which would of have melted the tank .

You know i'm sure the people writing the story could at least do a litttle bit of research and get the plumbing facts corrrect instead of misleading the public by saying boiler ***.

I thought journalists were supposed to be intelligent .
 

geomuss

Novice Member
A tragedy of this nature has been predicted for years :mad:

Immersion heater thermostats failings are very very common on the council stock of houses. All homes were meant to have a thorough check over and Anti-scold valves fitted to all homes as well.

Take it they couldnt find the cash again! :mad::mad:
 

Setenza

Novice Member
Hot water cylinders are fed by a tank in the loft sounds, like the immersion heater thermostat failed and overheated, forcing the boiling water over the vent in the loft which would of have melted the tank .

You know i'm sure the people writing the story could at least do a litttle bit of research and get the plumbing facts corrrect instead of misleading the public by saying boiler ***.

I thought journalists were supposed to be intelligent .
Well said, Sir. Poor journalism indeed.
 

IronGiant

Moderator
They finally got the story right on the 10:00pm news on BBC1.

Dave
 

The Dude

Distinguished Member
Well, I've survived 32 years of Immersion heaters, 22 at the evil hands of the first one, and the last 10 sleeping 3ft away from the current one.

I've replaced probably 5 or 6 failed immersion heater elements over the years, and I'm still here to tell the tale.

I must be one of the lucky ones. :rolleyes:
 

Ayub

Distinguished Member
If anyone has an ideal boiler they have a clip on the pressure valve inside the heater. When the engineers came to repair mine they did not put the clip back on and after around 1 hour of heating my boiler fell appart water started shooting out of the boiler. Went into my tv ( plasma damaged my com[puter tower and washed my printer) my tft was washed but still works . I thought they were talking about the same boiler.


It caused almost £4000 worth of damage we are now in the process of claiming it from their insurance company.
 

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
And if there were two such accidents in 5 years, is it as major a scare as the "journalist" makes it sound ?

No not at all but its a shocking case ,and very sad ,as usual councils let there properties go into a state of disrepair ,although on the news the vent above the tank didn't seem high enough and it wasn't up to bylaw 30 standards ,it sounded like the council were trying to blame the sub contractors ,even though there own inspectors will not go in the loft because they do not carry ladders to gain access to the loft.
 

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom