InFamous - Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iddqd

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Not too surprised that there isn't already a thread for this game, but it's always been on my radar since it's original reveal at E3 last year. Anyway, after a long, long absence, some more information has surfaced in the July issue of GameInformer.

2llis0g.jpg

- "Infamous begins with a serene, panoramic skyview view of EMpire City on the title screen, with the words "press start flashing". ..once you push start, a massive explosion rips through the heart of the city. Six city blocks are consumed by flame...in the center, a man named Dylan staggers to his feet."
- Dylan doesn't know how he got his powers and starts out apathetic. He then becomes invest in the city...or you can choose not to be at all.
- Dylan can run up rooftops, scrambles across building archtecture, and can seek cover in unlikely nooks and crannies.
- Sucker Punch striving for simple controls to do not so simple things
- Empire City has 3 islands
- After the explosion, the city falls into chaos. A plague makes the govt. quarentine the city. Gangs are formed.
- Dylan's abilities evolve throughout the game
- One fight saw Dylan and his friend Zeke against a bunch of guard. A couple of choices include zapping the mobs and flinging them off the bridge, or using your electricity on the environment (i.e. power generators that may be nearby) to create explosions.
- Sucker Punch says "The hero's powers and te storyline are in support of the gameplay."
- Dylan cannot use firearms since his powers are "always on" (meaning he would set off the gunpowder in bullets). The powers can complicate your actions within the world.
- There will be other "villians" with their own powers that come into play. As well as other normal enemies with powers.
- - Infamous isn't structured like other open world games with a marker on the mini map for your next mission. The team's goal is to create a world where events unfold naturally.
- For example, you're on your way to disarm a bomb, but you notice a woman in the street bleeding and screaming. Time is ticking. What do you do? Your actions affect the world at large. Hence "Infamous".
- Karma system keeps track of your actions ( I assume without showing you? Not sure). Your actions affect the actions of the citizens of the city. They may fight with you or ignore you or even help fight against you. Karma also factors into how your abilities develop.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22572.html

A couple more screenies. I must say i'd heard very little about this game but as a big fan of Crackdown I have high hopes for this :thumbsup:

2s835ua.jpg

ogcb60.jpg

Last edited:
Game is looking sweet. Shame its only got a Q1 2009 release date at the moment.

I'm always interested in new exclusive games, this one made me cancel Prototype pre-order because I'm not really a risk taker when it concerns hard earned cash, what with it being multiplatform, no doubt get a 360 port eh...

As for this, it is sure to be top notch

Gameplay video, for those that haven't seen it: http://www.g4tv.com/e32008/hdvideos/27706/Infamous_DirectFeed_Gameplay.html

This game is looking incredible, any firm release dates on it yet ?

This is looking very good. Loved crackdown on the 360 and this seems to take it to the next level!

Linky

Last edited:
Just watched some videos at GameTrailers.com, not one for me I think.

Looked like what you'd get if you cross GTA4 and Star Wars:Force Unleashed :)

This game looks of the hook can't wait!! :thumbsup:

Doesn't work for me (as I'm at work).

Is it the same as the new one on PSN yesterday? I downloaded it, and it got me interested all over again.

Have to say I'm not really one for playing games more than once unless they are truly amazing, but there is huge potential in the 'karma' meter to me that seems like a playthrough being bad could be followed by one being good.

Definitely one to keep an eye on....

1st i've really paid attention to about this game and it looks awesome. Like a PS3 Version of crackdown

1st i've really paid attention to about this game and it looks awesome. Like a PS3 Version of crackdown

Crackdown meets Fable:D

Looking really good still, I've always had a good feeling about this one:)

Looking really good still, I've always had a good feeling about this one:)

I'm praying to God it isn't tarred with the same hype brush that Killzone2 was.

Whilst a very good game, not as amazing as I'd hoped. Fingers crossed for this.

My interest level in Sucker Punch's next PS3 action game InFamous has been teetering between "looks sort of OK" and "looks completely awesome" since Sony began the game's marketing campaign. After getting to play a good bit of InFamous, though, I plan to reside firmly in the latter camp until the game comes out in June. InFamous impressed the hell out of me, but before I tell you why, check out this glut of footage that shows off most of the action I got to play myself.

So what did I take away from this demo that left me such a positive impression?

The feel of the controls. Note to whoever it is at Sucker Punch making the decisions about run speed, aiming sensitivity, and jumping controls: Don't change anything. Cole accelerates quickly, runs really fast, and turns on a dime. He doesn't lose speed or maneuverability when you zoom to the over-the-shoulder aiming view. From the basic movement and shooting to specialized moves like hovering to distant platforms and grinding on power lines, the basic gameplay has a really responsive, immediate feel to it that made me want to keep playing. This, and the next point, are really the biggest reasons I want to play more of the game.

Your moral alignment directly affects what your powers are like.
Great superpowers and resulting destruction. The save game in my demo had a bunch of powers unlocked--electric grenades, a Force-like kinetic push, an electric hover ability, an aerial ground stomp--and it was really intuitive and easy to start chaining those powers into effective combos and wreaking stupid amounts of havoc. The bombastic physics system and highly explosive background elements made for some really satisfying explosions. I'd liken the big, open-ended feel of the combat and destruction to Crackdown, if you want a direct comparison. You get the same sort of chain-reaction car explosions and crazy stuff like that going on.
Moral choices with gameplay-relevant consequences. In the grand tradition of KOTOR and Fable, you can choose to be a good guy or a bad guy at scripted points in the story, and your appearance will get prettier or uglier based on your behavioral tendences. Your lightning even turns blue or red! But more importantly, the game's extensive list of powers (there must be at least a dozen) change significantly depending on your alignment. Good powers give you precision strikes that minimize collateral damage, while evil powers are more about, well, wantonly blowing **** up. The evil grenades, for instance, split into five smaller grenades on impact, giving you a much bigger blast radius.

Unique enemy encounters. In addition to that search-and-destroy-buses mission you can see in the video, I had to take on a couple of cool combat situations. One was a boss fight against a telekinetic lady who was screaming at Cole like a jilted ex-girlfriend. She could summon hallucinated enemies to confuse you during combat, and I had to get into these nifty Quick Time Events that required me to simultaneously button-mash and control Cole's hands to attack her. Another mission had me defending a prison yard from an attacking enemy force that was hurling fiery boulders over the wall. I had to use my shockwave move to literally send the projectiles flying back--until a bunch of enemy troops and giant monsters flooded the yard. One cool element was that I was fighting from an electrified grating, allowing me to constantly recharge my electrical special moves.

I don't want to froth at the mouth here; It ain't all wine and roses for InFamous. The actual moral choice I saw (giving some food over to civilians, or killing them and keeping it) was pretty contrived; Cole's wisecracking sidekick grated on my nerves; the urban parkour took more than a little getting used to; and some of the environments are less detailed up-close than I would have liked. But those sorts of issues are easy to overlook when a game's core action is this inviting.

This sounds so good! :thumbsup:

InFamous' Action Looks Electric--But How Does It Play? -

I saw a video for this game, actually, I thought it was Infamous but it was actually a game called Prototype. The two seem pretty similar to me?

ps. "anti-delay" oh dear, why not just say early release. Unless they expected the game to be delayed past the original release date whatever it was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom