Quantcast

inexpensive Optical audio and HDMI switch

nsymons

Standard Member
Hi,

I have an old but decent Sony TV (1x HDMI in, no optical audio out) and a SONOS playbar (1x optical in only)

I'd like to connect these to a SKY box (HDMI and optical out) and a refurbished computer I have that also has HDMI (no sound) and optical out.

I'm looking to avoid having to change cables over each time I want to switch source but don't really want to buy expensive kit to service all this legacy equipment. Is there an inexpensive way to switch both optical audio and HDMI or should I just buy 2 separate switches?

Thanks
Nick

ChuckMountain

Its unlikely you will find anything, so probably will have to settle for two; one optical, one HDMI switch.

You can find plenty of cheapish HDMI switches that provide an optical out but that won't work in your case.

Which Sky Box do you have as on the latter ones you can send Dolby Digital over the HDMI or even straight stereo would be ok for the Playbar so you can use the HDMI lead only.

Are you sure your computer doesn't have sound over HDMI? I would find it strange that's the case, could understand if it was DVI but I don't recall seeing a computer that had HDMI and couldn't output sound over it. Assume you have checked settings and that the drivers are correct etc.

If you could do the last two then you can get away with a cheap switch something like

Goronya HDMI Matrix Switch 4x2, HDMI Splitter Switcher: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Top Bottom