1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inexpensive line doublers

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by adrianh, Dec 5, 2000.

1. adrianh

adrianh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This won't relate to may new projector owners out there, but i seem to have found a cheap (200 pounds) UK supplier of line doublers, i've posted on the video processing section of the forum, and had little response, realy i'm trying to gauge peoples views.

I know that you only get what you pay for but i'm strictly limited by budget.

Anyone heard or use the COMO LD-300.

From what i've read seems to be like the DVDO in terms of connectivity, but is both NTSC and PAL compatable.

Any views welcome

AdrianH

[This message has been edited by adrianh (edited 05-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by adrianh (edited 05-12-2000).]

2. sam10

sam10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be interested in the answer to your question also.
    Have you tried posting the question on uk.media.home-cinema news group. Maybe you will get an answer on there.
    Cheers.

3. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been trying to get more detail on this device for you, but have not yet had any response from anyone I have contacted. I will post any info I get.

However, just because it is relatively cheap doesn't necessarily mean it will be poor quality or unsophisticated in its processing.

There are a huge variety of video processing ICs on the market and most of them are under about $35.

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Adrian,
    I've been watching this thread for the last few days. So far you've had no replies from people who actually own and use this new line doubler with a projector. Could it be that you are the first to consider using the Como with a projector? Are there other users out there who just don't read this (or any other) HT newsgroups.

Who knows? But it seems clear that you've found something new and, in present company, you are the pioneer. It's down to you to investigate further.

FWIW, I have a cheap line doubler - cost me about £75. It is designed to up-convert video and TV signals so they can be displayed on my computer monitor. I tried it with CRT and LCD projectors but found that what looked good on a 17" screen didn't look any good on a 7ft wide screen.

I also have a Quadscan scaler, this is great with projection because it is designed for the job. I've played with DVDO, Crystal Image, Deuce and Yama****a units and seen Faroudja and Snell & Wilcox products in action. There's a vast difference in price and performance between all these products, but each year something new (and usually less expensive) comes to market. The question is "Can I live with the compromises in performance compared to more expensive products?"

You also have to consider the capabilities of your own projector.

The first question is; can your projector take a line-doubled signal? Will it recognise a line doubled 50Hz PAL image - some older models I've used are OK with 60Hz NTSC but won't display line doubled PAL. If it can, then how will it be displayed?

A line-doubled signal (a.k.a. 480p) is similar to a 640x480 VGA computer signal. If your LCD projector is an 800x600 SVGA unit it may expand the lower resolution signal to fill the screen. Some projectors do this better than others. How good is yours?

If your projector doesn't expand the image then you'll have a smaller picture on the wall/screen. Can you zoom out/move the projector/live with the lower resolution image?

What about anamorphic DVDs? Most LCD/DLP projectors won't squeeze a picture fed via their PC inputs (this is the input you'll use for the line doubler), so the picture will be tall and thin from anamorphic discs or you'll have to let your DVD player convert Anamorphic to Letterbox, which will lose some resolution.

If you want to take things further I suggest you contact the supplier. Ask them if the Como is designed for Home Theatre use or just as a video to PC monitor adapter. Ask if they've sold any to HT enthusiasts and what were the results. Is there somewhere you can try the unit with your projector, or if you gave them your credit card details would they consider supplying you on a sale or return basis?

There are a lot of ifs and maybes here, and you are relying on the integrity of the supplier to answer your questions about his product honestly. If you feel this is worth pursuing then you'll have to develop that pioneer spirit and do some hands on research of your own.

Good luck.

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Regional Sales Manager-N.England & Scotland
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Wise words Chris.

Adrian has a NEC6PG crt projector I believe. No problems with line doubled except that if it's set up well he'll probably still see scan lines.

Gordon

P.S. Well done for finding this device Adrian! Hope you or Ludae get more info as to what's indide this little box of tricks, or even better than one of you gets to play with one..

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

6. adrianh

adrianh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Guys for the responses.

I did forget to mention that the line doubler was for projection purpoeses (NEC 6PG extra).

Sorry Chris, I never wrote that review on the Seleco HT250, that i saw on your road show, i was pretty much blown away though

As sad as it sounds i don't realy have enough time to contact the suppliers about much more information. I'm in the process of beginning to write up a PhD thesis, and I think even my HC will be negleted for about 6-7 months after christmas!!!!!

It's probably not even a good time for me to purchase?

But i was excited when i even found a UK source of the Line doubler.

AdrianH

[This message has been edited by adrianh (edited 11-12-2000).]