1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inexpensive Inwall/Ceiling speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by petrolhead, Jan 1, 2004.

1. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I want to finish my plasma install off buy building out the wall around it so that it looks flush. To finish this off i also want the speakers to look fluch as well.

As I am using MDF for the surrounding wall I thought it may be a good idea to use some inwall or ceiling speakers but as its a bedroom system they do NOT need to be the dogs watnots. I am using a Yamaha Amp with one of their speaker packages and been happy with the sound so you can see top quality is not priority, flush looks are.

Any suggestions, what about car speakers as the amp will handle 4 or 8 ohm?

Have a look here for how it currently looks

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
  3. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I seem to remember that Global have some on display in the rear of the shop but cant remenber the make.

What are the BIC like as they seem to be more i the price range as I will need to buy 2 pair and disguard one (Ctr spk)

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Never heard them, though their website does state that their RRP is $300 for the M80's and $250 for the M60's. That is a fair bit more than the price on hifistore.co.uk This could be a clever marketing trick to make people think they are getting a good deal and, therefore, buy their products. However, you did say that you weren't looking for the best and the BIC items do look to be okay. They certainly have a seperate tweeter and offer full range, something the KEF models at that price range don't have and are limited to 16kHz.

Some indication of quality may be gleaned from the Tannoy M2iw which, at £130 uses the same set of drivers used in the old mercury range. The exception being, the inwall speakers have a more ugly domed dustcap on the bass unit, rather than an inverted one. The S8iw uses the same dual concentrics as those found in the Saturn and Definition ranges.

Russell