• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Inexpensive Freeview Box.....Help Me Choose Pls

Jay Adam

Standard Member
Hi,

I wanted to purchase a Freeview Box for my pensioner father.......something inexpensive but reliable......he is insistent on this.

The area he is in, has got very good reception and picture quality is very good too.......I've used Freeview Boxes in this area for under £20.00 such as Woolworth's Worthit Box which has been discussed here previously, and is still working fine.

I've come across the following 2 on Ebay:

a) METRONIC ZAPBOX FREEVIEW BOX (big French company) - £12.99

Metronic's biggest selling zapbox for 2007/2008. The model was
discontinued in 2008. It has been refurbished to as new condition and
comes with a 3 month warranty:

METRONIC ZAPBOX DIGITAL TV RECEIVER FREEVIEW BOX on eBay (end time 03-Jul-10 15:52:15 BST)

b) Ferguson F01SDB - £12.99

New other - ex display etc. Comes with 6 months parts and labour
return-to-base guarantee. Quite a lot of people from Ebay have
bought this from this seller, out of the few I contacted, most of them
recommended it:

Ferguson Digital Freeview SetTop Box-Twin Scart RRP29. on eBay (end time 27-Jun-10 12:54:32 BST)

1)Do you think they are any good for the price?

2)Which would you recommend please?

Thank you.

Jay.

Last edited:

MarkE19

TBH Freeview STB's are such an established technology that there is likey to be little or no difference between any of them other than the UI. Personally I would recommend going into a local Tesco etc and getting a cheap STB from there - at least if you have any issues with it you can take it back, and will have a full 1 year warrenty. You may even be able to play with it before buying to make sure the UI is easy enough for your father to use.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom