Indy 500

Lusankya

I have never seen one of these but with the inclusion of Alonso I am going to give it a watch.

He is foing rather well and has made it in to the Fast 9 shootout.

The Atheist

Is there any coverage on UK tv?

narmi47

Just youtube, (I think)

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

Looks like the famous Honda Engine Failures/Reliability woes have followed Fernando across the pond - his engine started to smoke badly & will need to be changed - hopefully, they can change it time otherwise penalties will be imposed.

Really feel bad for Fernando - the poor guy just can't seem to catch a break with Honda - first in F1 & now in Indy. I wonder how this will also affect things regarding the rest of qualifying?

I bet he curses the day he ever believed in Honda!

Suave!

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Engine changed in 1.5 hours which is pretty amazing and the quali performance he's just put in is incredible. Provisional pole for the moment with five still to go

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Alonso has ended up fifth on the grid so in between two cars on row two.

Chevyonfuel

Distinguished Member
It's been interesting watching the livestream. I've always wanted to go and see the 500, along with some NASCAR racing, but I cant say I'm an avid follower - it's difficult to get live coverage of such things. The YouTube feed has been very good, though it's likely to be an ESPN job for the actual race next weekend. If nothing else, it's raised the profile of oval and Indy racing.

Until onlookers saw Bourdais' crash at the weekend, there were a lot of comments about the cars being easy to drive and there was no skill involved. This has always been a criticism levelled at American motorsports. It was quite a hard hit, hopefully he'll back on the grid later in the year.

In reality, with no downforce and 230mph+ in some hard turns (think Turkey turn 8 for a similar sustained high G corner) - they're as much of a handful as the full beans aero F1 cars, but for different reasons. Having them 3 or 4 wide on the banking takes some minerals. It was good to see Sato doing well also - he had some moments of brilliance in F1, spliced in with some crashes that Pastor would be proud of.

The rollbar and weight jacker adjustments are quite interesting. The only thing that comes close in other forms of racing are the digital ride height adjustment on Pro Stock cars, but that's a predetermined thing rather than an act by the driver. Having the means to alter geometry and attitude of the car in such a way needs a good feel for things.

How will Alonso get on in the race? It's a bit of a lottery - there's so much carnage on track and they're out there so long that your afternoon can be ruined through no fault of your own. His practice pace in race trim seemed strong and he's not afraid to stick his elbows out when encountering traffic. Good luck to him, he deserves some success after years of uncompetitive cars in F1 :thumbsup:.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Bourdais is out for the rest of the season which also means missing Le Mans. Multiple fractures to his pelvis and hip mean he's needed surgery (which has gone well) and quite a long recovery ahead of him

Lusankya

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

Now that qualifying is down with - what happens during the rest of the week till the race on Sunday?

Are the teams/drivers allowed any further work, testing, drives etc in the car? Do the drivers just sit back & take it easy till the race day or are they allowed to still go out on the track & fine tune things till they feel happy or for as long as they want?

It just seems a little odd to have such a large time gap between qualifying the race!

Suave!

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

Now that qualifying is down with - what happens during the rest of the week till the race on Sunday?

Are the teams/drivers allowed any further work, testing, drives etc in the car? Do the drivers just sit back & take it easy till the race day or are they allowed to still go out on the track & fine tune things till they feel happy or for as long as they want?

It just seems a little odd to have such a large time gap between qualifying the race!

Suave!
Ive been watching the practice livestream today (still on) and was there is tues and wednesday off and is some action thursday and friday. Sure is a long build up compared to F1.

Chevyonfuel

Distinguished Member
milk.png

F1's missing a trick here - get Cravendale to sponsor the British GP... :D.

Reading up on the milk tradition (I knew of it, but not why it was a thing), it goes back to 1928 when Louis Meyer won the 500, and preferred to drink buttermilk, including during post-race celebrations. 3 wins later and some media coverage, and the milk foundation got in on the act...

arenaman

Race starting soon on BT ESPN

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Alonso's looking pretty settled here, making good progress after a fairly poor start

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

Wow, what a huge & nasty crash there between Scott Dixon & Jay Howard - spectacular but just a very scary crash - Dixon super lucky to come out of that OK tbh.

Suave

scartlead

Lucky lucky boy !

scartlead

Being shown live on youtube if you dont have access to BT sport etc

arenaman

Huge crash, Alonso leading,he's doing great

Surebrec

watching a stream of the race on youtube.

I love american tv channels, they often show bits of the race between the commercials.

Suave

Distinguished Member
watching a stream of the race on youtube.

I love american tv channels, they often show bits of the race between the commercials.

Hi,

Really? I detest them - they show so many commercials so often it drives one insane - it might be a bit novel initially but trust me, when you live there & every channel shows a bunch of annoying ads every couple of minutes, you soon loose the will to live!

Suave!

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

Whatever the outcome today & considering that he is a rookie, I think we can now all say that Fernando can very well hold his own in an Indycar & that too against the most experienced & seasoned of drivers over there!

The guy is just sublime!

Suave!

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
A Honda engine gone, that doesn't bode well. Here's hoping it's a one off!

Surebrec

Hi,

Really? I detest them - they show so many commercials so often it drives one insane - it might be a bit novel initially but trust me, when you live there & every channel shows a bunch of annoying ads every couple of minutes, you soon loose the will to live!

Suave!

nah, not really. it was a tongue-in-cheek comment.

they are actually awful, as frustrating as they can be in the uk, they are nowhere near as bad as in the USA.

arenaman

Max Chilton winning :laugh:

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Oh Honda. You are an utter disaster. That'll do them some serious damage.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom