industry shakeup, price crashes early in 2007??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by cinema stu, Dec 27, 2006.

1. cinema stu

cinema stu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys, have been spending countless hours reading everyone's awesome advice regarding plasma/LCD tvs on these forums over the past few months (I visit every day) and am all but ready to go to John Lewis on Friday to purchase the Panasonic TH42PX60...

BUT, a few senior forum users have hinted in various posts and messages that they expect there to be a big shake-up of the plasma/LCD tv industry in the early stages of 2007 which could lead to massive price drops and new improvements coming out.

I know that the world of HD TV is relatively new and of course you've got to expect stuff to be superceded quite quickly amid this HD war but is there an honest belief that we could have some major developments/a major industry shakeup within the next few months which could lead to really significant reductions in the prices of current-range LCD/Plasmas that are out now????

The missus has given me the option of spending the £800-1000 on a 'big' 42-inch TV and nothing for many years to come OR getting a reliable 32-inch for say £500-600 with the possibility of a further upgrade/additional 'big' TV in a year or two.

I'm sick of watching movies on our scratched 20" crt in the bedroom and want the real deal for home cinema experience but I completely agree with her that we can't go out and spend near to £1000 on a TV and then expect to upgrade or buy an additional TV within the next 2-3 years.

thoughts?

2. Jumblemo

Jumblemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The following factors suggest that value will continue to improve in the form of both price drops and better devices:

1. Panel technology is improving rapidly
    2. £stg has strengthened vs $USD and has not been fully reflected in pricing
    3. LCD vs Plasma war is heating up
    4. Market volumes are rapidly increasing

So imagine that you are at the same stage in the market as say the 286 or 386 pc processors i.e. good for their day, but set to be rapidly improved upon.

You have the classic dilemma: when to jump in? Only you can answer that.

3. nitram_tpr

nitram_tpr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74

Sod's law dictates that whenever you buy it will be th wrong time.

The current price of the Panny TH42PX60 is amazing. I paid more than the Currys price of £899 for my Sony 29" CRT that I am still using today.
    I am in the market to upgrade finally but am in a bit of a quandry! Do I get a Panny or Pioneer now or wait, whatever you do it'll be wrong.

I'm sorta lucky in that I have to redecorate my living room and chase in all the cables before I can put the TV up, so knowing how slow and lazy I am at decorating, that'll be middle of Feb before I actually purchase, hopefully prices will have either dropped a hundred or so quid, or better sets will be out for the same ££££'s :cool:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't !!!! :rolleyes:

4. cinema stu

cinema stu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't intend for this thread to be specific to my personal situation but when you consider:

- we really are in the midst of an HD/Plasma/LCD war
    - we'd be saving ourselves up to £500 by going for a 32"
    - the 32" is still proabably going to look 'big' and new for us considering we've got a JVC 26" in the living room that we love watching stuff on and consider the size fine.

not to mention the other points made by Jumblemo in the post above...it probably is best to wait for this HD/LCD/Plasma war to at least calm down a little bit before making a big-money purchase on a huge TV.

the fact is that we, like I presume most people out there, can probably only afford to make one BIG purchase in the region of £700-1000 every 3-5 years or so.

5. Searcher2

Searcher2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    You won't get much for £500 for a 32" LCD. Maybe a Toshiba 32WLT66 would be your best bet. Considering you may be able to get a Panasonic 42PX60 for a shade over £800 from Currys then you are only looking at a £300 difference. Surely £300 wouldn't stop you upgrading for many years to come?

One thing is for sure - in my view there is more than £300 difference in viewing pleasure between the 32" and 42". I was going to get a 32" originally and am SO glad I didn't.

And what do you consider a 'reliable' 32"? Do you mean a CRT?

I think if you can get John Lewis to price match Currys for £900 I would go the Panasonic route and start enjoying now.

6. cinema stu

cinema stu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    guys, hope it was ok but I added this new post in both the LCD and PLASMA forums (it does relate to both after all) and I was so thrilled to get the below reply in the LCD thread from Raven1907 - I think he makes a brilliant point with regard to the advent of 1080p becoming the industry standard for HD TV, a factor that will most likely become the dominating element of 2007??

7. cinema stu

cinema stu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't really clued on to the whole 1080p thing but was aware that true 1080p TVs (unlike 1080i) are both rare and frightfully expensive so it is an extremely important point to be making to potential TV purchasers (especially relative novices like me) at the moment that 1080p is the true way of the future with regards to HD tvs and it's got to be a pretty good bet to say that 2007 will be the year when 1080p becomes more mainstream (also important considering the release of the playstation 3 which operates best via 1080p - isn't that right?).

correct me if I'm wrong

8. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    With your main criteria being movie viewing, don't get too hung up on 1080p. You'll not see 1080p broadcasts in the UK for many, many years. Only sources will be PC/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD. Add to this that resolution is not everything. For instance, for movie viewing, a 1024x768 42" Fujitsu 58 Series plasma will wipe the floor with a SONY X-Series or Sharp XD1E 1080p LCD. Further more, on a good display you'd probably be hard pressed to see the difference between 1080p and 1080i when watching TV/Movies.

9. cinema stu

cinema stu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but if you have a 1080i TV, will it be compatible (future proof) with new HD-DVDs, playstation 3 etc.... what is the difference between P and I - one is progressive, the other interlaced?

I wish I understood this better but certainly appreciate the comment about 1080p not being the BIBLE in respect to ensuring good picture quality. thanks

10. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    1080i/p is both 1920x1080.
    1080i, it is interalced and the screen has to de-interlace it. Lke 576i from Sky/Freeview etc.
    1080p is progressive so it does not have to be de-interlaced.

If the de-interlacer is good, then the difference between 1080i and 1080p should be small, if any.

11. cinema stu

cinema stu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ash, as one of the moderators on this forum and as a PX60 owner yourself, I can certainly feel confident with the comments above regarding the 1080i v 1080p difference and now, my belief that perhaps only the more seasoned of TV 'experts' will really notice the improvement in PQ with the 1080p over 1080i - forgetting about differences between TV brands.

12. johnny-17

johnny-17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    What 'shake up' ? What price war? Do you mean it's a buyers market perhaps ? Cheap prices are usually for 'last season' stuff. Aren't big screens already cheaper compared to tvs of old. Is cheaper really the way forward or is it what YOU would prefer to happen next year. Why do many consumers complain of say 'dead pixels' - is it because manufacturers can't afford to employ good quality control due to prices constantly being driven lower and lower. How much do you think it costs for R & D or is it a free service provided by employees. We CAN afford to pay whatever things cost as being on this very forum indicates wealth. Some of the folk who make some of the stuff we buy will not be in the same position as ours !. So what if it's cheaper next time ? Is the worst thing in our lives finding out that the same thing you bought a few months earlier is cheaper in the sales. It hasn't changed both the holiday or car industries really has it, just ask the person by the pool next time, as everyone does - sometimes you can smile knowing you've saved, on the other hand sometimes you won't ! We will all get over it .Sorry if this sound a bit rude, but when you constantly have to deal with suppliers who are cutting down on service and quality every day, it becomes clear as to why lower pricing isn't always the answer as it's the consumers who end up suffering by their own actions.

13. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    LOL don't trust me too much, I have no pesonal experience in comapring 1080i, 720p and 1080p as a living like other members who install TVs, sell them, calibrate them etc. :)

14. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    To appreciate any difference between interlaced and progressive you will also need to carefully consider your viewing distances (a search will go into masses of detail on this). Also factor in some of your material will be SD and some HD. Which will you be watching most? 1080p is the future (perhaps) but there is always something better on the horizon making us wait just a bit longer for the "right time" to purchase. There is no such thing as future proof and you will always have this dilemma :suicide: . What you buy today will always be cheaper in the future, or will have better features for the same price. But that will always be true with progress in technology. Get whats right for you today and enjoy it in full knowledge that had you waited you could have saved yourself some money but you could wait for ever ...:smashin:
    Personally I would get a bargain now in the knowledge that I would still get use out of it as a second/bedroom tv.

15. bluesteel

bluesteel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    IM SORRY BUT THIS SEEMS TO BE A WIND UP
    a 20 inch crt.............
    and postiing in av forums
    and no mention of hd sources but mention of 1080p
    haha merry april fools

16. richto

richto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

I wouldnt worry about the PS3 - most PS3 games are in 720p (even though Sony claimed they would only be in 1080p). Unfortunately Sony not only crippled the PS3 by putting in an inferior graphics chipset (e.g. half the triangle fill rate of the Xbox 360) but they also failed to include a hardware scaler (unlike the Xbox 360). Not to mention you have to have the included Betamax V2 BluRay player - which is a white elephant before its even been launched here (HD DVD is already outselling Bluray well over 2:1)

If you want a proper 1080P solution that can upscale you need an Xbox 360.

17. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
    Totally agree, been saying this for months, the market reaches a critical point of mass market penatration at the expence of quality. We are at this point now.

This isn't a problem if the mass market does not notice the drop in quality but sadly it is. I hope there will still continue to quality products catering for the more decerning consumer and it looks like there will be.

I am a great believer of you get what you pay for. If you want a cheap product, don't be dissappointed it does not perform or last.

If you want performance then expect to pay for it.

18. Jumblemo

Jumblemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    We are only just crossing the chasm. Not at mass market stage just yet. Expect more for less. Buy when you are ready - rather than the technology,