Induction with built in extractor

BobBob21

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Have been planning to redo our kitchen for a little while, got as far as preparing to give the deposit when the company went bust which meant going back to square one with trying to find a new provider... seems hard to find a balance between kitchen, designer and price, one of the three always seems way off.

Currently get a decent discount with Miele and until recently it could even be combined with their Grade A outlet sales so have bought several of our appliances already and put them in temporary homes. The combined discount ended a little while back and my other discount will end soon so its got me thinking about buying the last remaining big item which is a hob with extractor fan built in.

One of the reasons for the delay is because the last attempted designer, who the wife hates, said that Bora were much better than Miele in this space and having done some desktop research there are a load of people that say similar but that Novy are hands down better than both. Anyone have any experiences? If it makes any difference they will be run on recirculation mode.

If at all possible I would avoid those built in extractors, they aren't don't work brilliantly and can be noisy. This is based up info from my kitchen fitter who has fitted a few.

If at all possible I would avoid those built in extractors, they aren't don't work brilliantly and can be noisy. This is based up info from my kitchen fitter who has fitted a few.
This appears to be why some recommend Novy as it has a "rise up" style system by 30cm so is more effective and its stated volumes are quieter (potentially for not having to work so hard due to being in the wrong place).

The hob will ultimately be going on an island and so extraction options limited. Since getting our steam oven (combi) we use the hob a lot less so suspect its more for frying etc in which case the recirculation limitation irrespective of if down draft or above hob extraction will be the same.

This appears to be why some recommend Novy as it has a "rise up" style system by 30cm so is more effective and its stated volumes are quieter (potentially for not having to work so hard due to being in the wrong place).

The hob will ultimately be going on an island and so extraction options limited. Since getting our steam oven (combi) we use the hob a lot less so suspect its more for frying etc in which case the recirculation limitation irrespective of if down draft or above hob extraction will be the same.
Best thing is find a working show room and test it. Anyway, its mentioned here and had the following comment,

INTEGRATED WORKTOP HOODS

Here, Novy still has some work to do. The 7901 Up_side obtains a modest NeutraTEST Score of 4.51, which is less than competitors’ downdraft models. Perhaps Novy is just convinced, as we are, that worktop extractors are just not the ideal cooker hood solution anyway. We have not yet found any fully satisfied customers using this category of cooker hood.

On the Novy website, you’ll find two more downdraft models, the 1821 Panorama and the 1811 One that won the 2016 Red Dot Award but tests for these two models have yet to be completed before a NeutraTEST Score can be given.

If you are having your kitchen redone then there are better island options available, even with recirculation.

I have a Bora hot plate and induction combo in our kitchen, actually never got around to having the extraction part hooked up so not much help but it looks good 👍🏻

Dear wife is considering replacing it with a sink though!

At least somewhat reassuring to see Novy rank well with their normal products... not a brand I'd heard of previously.

Induction plates with fume extractor: Breaking news – it works! does say however that "they work" but filtering the test results page for Integrated Worktop, as instructed on the article on Bora shows that its missing many of the options like Miele (who are commended in the article) or the newer Novy etc.

Unless you mean an island in the sea, the fact the hob is on a kitchen island doesn't necessarily mean extraction options are limited? I have a Smeg 900mm island extractor over my 700mm hob on an island. It is single storey house and above is the loft/roof space. The extractor fits between ceiling woodwork structure perfectly (hob and cupboards positioned by design for that to happen). It is always possible to rearrange the wood structure to create the required hole and fixing points for hanging island extractors. Just needs a bit of thought about the strength aspects of the structure you are removing and that need to replaced in a different way. What is above the ceiling is the limiting factor rather than the island per se IME.

I would even consider the ceiling in-built (cassette) models with a trunking on the ceiling for the exhaust to take it to an outside wall, rather than the extractor being built-in to the hob or island. They are for me the epitomisation of form over function.

The property is a mid floor flat with a solid concrete/steel floor and ceiling. There is a suspended plasterboard ceiling on an aluminium track with a moderate void between it and the structural ceiling.

The kitchen is at the "internal" end of the lounge/diner/kitchen and there is an RSJ that goes across the mid point of the room that has a two small cut outs for electrical cable and the microbore heating pipes.

SHMBO wants the clean look of nothing coming down from the ceiling... in fact she wants to raise the ceiling from its current height and accept the boxed in RSJ across the room as the ceilings are very low.

Whilst I know you can get in ceiling extractors working in recirculation mode I've equally read poor reviews of such setups given that the waste air is being expelled at the same location as the air intake and so much of the "extraction" is effectively recleansing the already filtered air.

Secondly, our ceiling as no structural strength as its just plasterboard on less than 1mm thick aluminium... its worrying how much it moves when you lightly touch it. None of the units I've seen are designed to attach to the ceiling above but to wooden joists at the side of the unit that we dont have. Inevitably someone could probably fabricate something but then you are in the world of not following manufacturer's instruction when it comes to warranties etc.

Finally, if we do raise the ceiling to leave a void of a couple of inches then the hood would no longer fit and would need to be boxed in.

I've equally read poor reviews of such setups given that the waste air is being expelled at the same location as the air intake and so much of the "extraction" is effectively recleansing the already filtered air.
Fair enough on the details as to why island extractors won’t work for you :) you mention concrete floors - is the bench or hob extractor not going to be in recirculating mode?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom