Indoor TV aerial for freeview - good idea?

J

jlcantab

Hello. Nice to get to know this website. I am thinking of purchasing One For All SV 9320 (Indoor TV aerial for Digital) to pick up digital signals at home.

I have moved in a new house (located in Bournville, Birmingham - B30) and found that my freeview box does not pick up any TV signals. Apart from this, analogue TV singlas are also very weak. I reckon this region has no problem in receiving singal itself, but the problem is caused by the sharing of the antenna on the roof of the two semi-detached houses, with the antenna being actually installed on the roof of the other house, not mine.

I don't want to spend money to subscribe cable TVs such as Telewest and Sky, because my family more than enjoyed freeview channels at the previous residence and wants to have just same channels on our TV!

Since this house is not my house, landlord is unwilling to make any change to outside house appearances by setting up any facilities for this, so I want to use indoor TV antenna for freeview. By searching for indoor freeview antenna, I accidentally found the product, "One For All SV 9320", which looks like only one product that can be used for this purpose.

Has anyone used this product? and how was it like? Can it be recommended? Please share your experiences with me. It would be greatly appreciated.

jlcantab said:
Hello. Nice to get to know this website. I am thinking of purchasing One For All SV 9320 (Indoor TV aerial for Digital) to pick up digital signals at home.

I have moved in a new house (located in Bournville, Birmingham - B30) and found that my freeview box does not pick up any TV signals. Apart from this, analogue TV singlas are also very weak. I reckon this region has no problem in receiving singal itself, but the problem is caused by the sharing of the antenna on the roof of the two semi-detached houses, with the antenna being actually installed on the roof of the other house, not mine.

I don't want to spend money to subscribe cable TVs such as Telewest and Sky, because my family more than enjoyed freeview channels at the previous residence and wants to have just same channels on our TV!

Since this house is not my house, landlord is unwilling to make any change to outside house appearances by setting up any facilities for this, so I want to use indoor TV antenna for freeview. By searching for indoor freeview antenna, I accidentally found the product, "One For All SV 9320", which looks like only one product that can be used for this purpose.

Has anyone used this product? and how was it like? Can it be recommended? Please share your experiences with me. It would be greatly appreciated.

I would wait for September when telewest launches their basic pack for FREE.September 1st.You will need a telephone subscription though, so ditching the BT line.

I have a one for all which is currently 14.99 from Argos. I got mine second hand for 3.99.
Works great.

I reccomend a wide band ariel in argos. The amplified one for 20 pounds. It has great reviews and comes with 5 years guarantee from the manufacturer.

Thanks eye2007. I wanted to subscribe to Telewest, but as you said, I have to subscribe the Phone service as well for starter and essential packages. Now that I am under the some more months' contract with BT, I cannot move on to Telewest for phone line, and I don't need additional phone line that can be provided by Telewest.

By the way, do you think One For All SV 9320 can work at my house in Birmingham? I heard that this area is picking up singals from Sutton Cottlonfield or Oxford.

Many thanks,

From Argos, I found the following items. Which one is more recommendable and reliable?

1) One For All Amplified Indoor Aerial, with gain up to 40dB.
£17.99
Gain control dial for fine-tuning signal amplification with On/Off mode, Analogue and Digital reception, Freeview compatible, Power LED indicator, 1 metre antenna connection cable.
External antenna input.
Inline coax connector for connecting to audio equipment included.

2) Thomson ANT515U Indoor Amplified Antenna.
£19.99
Indoor aerial for TV and FM radio.
Suitable for digital or analogue reception.
39db low noise amplifier for high quality picture and clearer sound.
Adjustable gain control for optimum reception.
Noise reduction circuit for improved clarity.
Mains or 12V DC powered for use with car battery or AC/DC adapter.
Comaptible with Freeview digital adapters in areas with strong signal.

3) Telecam TCE2001 Wideband Indoor TV Aerial With Amplifier.

£19.99
High performance amplified, TV aerial for all TV channels.
Suitable for all TV's and videos and use with digital TV in strong signal areas.
Simply plug-in and view.
Manufacturer's 5 year guarantee.

eye2007, you meant the Telecam one?

Many thanks,

I bought the all in one sv9830 and couldn't even pick up an analogue signal. Don't waste your time, money and effort, get a proper high gain freeview antenna fitted into your loft or onto your roof.

jlcantab said:
.......Since this house is not my house, landlord is unwilling to make any change to outside house appearances by setting up any facilities for this, so I want to use indoor TV antenna for freeview..........

Mighty Chipster

cantab can't fit an oudoor:( (see above quote)

Del:smoke:

jlcantab said:
Thanks eye2007. I wanted to subscribe to Telewest, but as you said, I have to subscribe the Phone service as well for starter and essential packages. Now that I am under the some more months' contract with BT, I cannot move on to Telewest for phone line, and I don't need additional phone line that can be provided by Telewest.

By the way, do you think One For All SV 9320 can work at my house in Birmingham? I heard that this area is picking up singals from Sutton Cottlonfield or Oxford.

Many thanks,

Depends how far you are from transmitter. It also depends which way you point the aerial.

Birmingham should be a strong area like London.

One for all are a recognised trademark for excellence in boosters, even remote controls. They are everywhere.

jlcantab said:
From Argos, I found the following items. Which one is more recommendable and reliable?

1) One For All Amplified Indoor Aerial, with gain up to 40dB.
£17.99
Gain control dial for fine-tuning signal amplification with On/Off mode, Analogue and Digital reception, Freeview compatible, Power LED indicator, 1 metre antenna connection cable.
External antenna input.
Inline coax connector for connecting to audio equipment included.

2) Thomson ANT515U Indoor Amplified Antenna.
£19.99
Indoor aerial for TV and FM radio.
Suitable for digital or analogue reception.
39db low noise amplifier for high quality picture and clearer sound.
Adjustable gain control for optimum reception.
Noise reduction circuit for improved clarity.
Mains or 12V DC powered for use with car battery or AC/DC adapter.
Comaptible with Freeview digital adapters in areas with strong signal.

3) Telecam TCE2001 Wideband Indoor TV Aerial With Amplifier.

£19.99
High performance amplified, TV aerial for all TV channels.
Suitable for all TV's and videos and use with digital TV in strong signal areas.
Simply plug-in and view.
Manufacturer's 5 year guarantee.

eye2007, you meant the Telecam one?

Many thanks,

The Telecam is highly recommended as it is not only wide band so you can get mux D in weaker areas but also because it is specifically designed to meet the digital age. Five year guarantee with it for free, can't ask for much better.

Eye2007. OK. I'll go for Telecam one tomorrow and let you guys know how it will turn out. In case it doesnt' work, I can get refund at least easily from Argos by visiting the store again. As for the One for all SV9320, only delivery from a website dealing with small parts was possible. Anyway, I can avoid the troubles that can happen when the delivered item doesn't work so I will return it by post and so on. Thanks,

Mighty Chipster, my television picks up analogue anyway, which means the signal levels in my area are stronger than yours. I'll try the one suggested by eye2007 and let you know. Thanks,

Well, I rushed to Argos when I woke up in the morning and bought the Telecam indoor antenna. Unfortunately, it didn't work. It didn't pick up even weaker analogue signals. I am afraid that the area I am leaving is positioned lower than other areas and that's why the signals are so weak.

The alternatives are: subscription to telewest or sky; or fitting a new external outdoor antenna on the roof. The landlord will not allow me to subscribe to sky or fit outdoor antenna, because, as I said, it will cause some changes on outside appearances of the house.

So? I think I have no choice to join Telewest. :( The problem is the want me to join phone service as well when I buy starter and essential service. As I am under contract with BT for 6 more months, I don't need to do that. Well, so my choice should be only one: Telewest "Supreme" package. Oh gosh! This costs £22 a month! Well, I don't want to spend as much money as for this digital TV! I don't want 100 channels!

might of worked with an booster. On the box it gives you details of how high quality it is. This is unlike any aerials I have had before.

My transmitter is Crystal Palace.

I myself rushed out this morning and bought Temtrac aerial. I also bought the Wharfedale Freeview box.

i have renamed Filmfour channel, Moviechannel.Gives it a premium feel to it.

I am going to lose all my sky sub channels in 25 days time. I have ended Sky once and for all. I cannot believe anyone really wants to subscribe as all my favourite shows are on Freeview.

I don't watch tv much and will keep Sky dish up and running as I will still have Freesat for bedroom.

Shame about you not picking up signal. This aerial is especially good for picking up a MUX D. Many people have slit their arms over not recieving Filmfour. Cause they have not got wide band aerial.

Eye2007 said:
I cannot believe anyone really wants to subscribe as all my favourite shows are on Freeview.

Everyone has different tastes...just because your favourite shows are on Freeview doesn't mean everybody else likes them :rolleyes:

jlcantab said:
analogue TV singlas are also very weak. I reckon this region has no problem in receiving singal itself, but the problem is caused by the sharing of the antenna on the roof of the two semi-detached houses, with the antenna being actually installed on the roof of the other house, not mine.

If the analogue signals are actually weak in your area you are very unlikely to be able to get Freeview even with a good roof aerial. First, put your postcode in the freeview postcode checker:

http://www.freeview.co.uk/

If that says Yes, check the quality of all the connections you can get to (even if its only the wall plate and your lead) and make sure that your freeview box is the first thing that the wall socket is connected to.

Check that the aerial looks like it hasn't been pushed over a bit by the weather and see if its pointing in the right direction. Compare with other aerials in the area. You can put your postcode in here:

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

And it will give you the Ordnance Survey grid reference of your nearest transmitters

I find freeviews own checker pessimistic in many cases; probably deliberately to avoid complaints.
This one is sometimes more accurate (and more detailed) but they are all somewhat hit and miss. :)

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html

Richard46 said:
I find freeviews own checker pessimistic in many cases; probably deliberately to avoid complaints.
This one is sometimes more accurate (and more detailed) but they are all somewhat hit and miss. :)

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html

Absolutely. I was looking for that one but couldn't find it. It will give you an excellent idea if your reception is marginal if it shows you can get some channels but not others.

Instead of using classic RF fly lead to extend aerial to another place. I have used Sat coaxial cable and my reception is perfect. I am using the Tremtac aerial like I suggested people use.

No problems.

I just bought my first HDTV (LG5020), got it home from RS very excited.

Set it up in my room, which is in a modern block in London and has snazzy TV aeriel and internet sockets in every room.

Plugged in my telly, let the auto tv tuner do its stuff and it didn't find a thing. Nadda. I bought the small telly from my flatmates room in and plugged that in to check if it was the LG and that got nothing too. So I took the socket off the wall and it does't have a wire attached to it, which might explain why. Slack builders just didn't bother actually wiring it.

Being a renter nothing I can do about it.

How annoying and depressing, new toy and can't play. Looks like I am going to have to try and amplified indoor aeriel :(

"Being a renter nothing I can do about it."

I don't know about that. Does the lease say anything about TV?

You could certainly claim that the presence of a TV socket represented that it was connected to an aerial. And the owner may still have a claim on the builders.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom