1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indoor speakers outside, what will happen?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cb31, Aug 2, 2005.

1. cb31

cb31
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have searched for ages for some nice looking and sounding garden speakers without much success. I'm sure some of the expensive ones are ok but I don't want to spend too much and the cheap ones look like plant pots or rocks. I need two pairs so was thinking of around £50-£100 per pair and they don't seem to exist.

What if I buy some discontinued indoor speakers from somewhere like Richer Sounds and put them outside. I realise they will rot over time but anyone know how long it will take before they don't work/look bad? Is it dangerous leaving them out as the speaker cables carry some electrical current?

Please feel free to call me an idiot if this is a stupid idea.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  3. cb31

cb31
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They look great but as usual are based in the US. Have you ordered from them before and is delivery to the UK ok? Did you get hit with any customs charges?

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    You could always use marine speakers. Or just 'pot' the terminals on normal speakers using silicone sealant. You would still need to protect the cones though as much as possible.

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    They will deliver to the UK although I havn't tried it myself. You will undoubtedly get "hit" by customs, try contacting them directly and perhaps send a PM to forum member Ettepet who had Onix speakers delivered to Europe. :)

6. GarethP

GarethP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I bought some cheapie £10 ariston speakers from Richer Sounds about 4 years ago for exactly the same reasons. My thoughts were that if they get trashed then it's only £10. As far as I know (I moved house over the winter and left them installed in the garden) they are still going strong.

7. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I would have thought the main consideration in the short term would be damage to the cones (depending on what they are made of) - Longer term you have issues with corrosion of terminals, drivers and breakup of the case. I guess it depends on what you exactly mean by outside as I had a pair of speakers in an open porch for years with little trouble - technically outside but away from all but the worst of rain and not sitting on damp/accessable to slugs etc.

doing a google search comes up with many matches like http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/subcategory.asp?id=34&pagesize=100&txt=1 - most are clearly designed to be in wall/floor etc type thing but it wouldnt be too hard to make a simple enclosure for them - cant comment on the audio quality from them.

or if you want some funny ones: http://www.gardensound.co.uk/inground.html

8. cb31

cb31
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to let you know what I did in the end, I went to Richer Sounds and bought 2 pairs of 30 quid Ariston speakers. They have metal cases and came with brackets so that was good. When they eventually break I can afford to just replace them as they were so cheap. The sound is ok, although it is difficult to judge as I have never heard outdoor speakers before. The ambient noise ruins any remote chance of hifi sound so I am quite pleased with the result.

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Sounds like a good compromise - just keep those terminals covered. :smashin: