Indoor aerials For Freeview!

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by gaz010, Sep 7, 2007.

1. gaz010

gaz010
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This would be my next question i suppose. And it regards indoor aerials.:eek:

I would like to know what Indoor aerials work best with freeview and if the one i have will be of any use.
    Being the Thomson ANT55.
    The reception i get at the moment is not to bad.There is a bit of shadowing on some channels but not all of them.

My transmitter is Blackhill and about 17 miles away or so if that is of any use.

Ta Gaz.

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    In most cases an indoor aerial is ill advised.
    Just search this forum for the many threads including "indoor aerial" and its many mispelt variants.
    However, you shouldn't have any ghosting with Freeview - or are you referring to analogue TV reception having this "shadowing" ?

Chris Muriel, Manchester

3. gaz010

gaz010
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is the analogue that i have now. Its not that much of a biggy really.

4. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    You've already been given the best advice i.e. "In most cases an indoor aerial is ill advised"

Put your postcode in here and see what is recommended

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

You *may* be lucky with an indoor aerial but don't expect miracles.
    Any receiver will only deliver the best performance with a decent signal to work with.
    You wouldn't fill a Porsche with paraffin:D

5. gaz010

gaz010
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that just for outside aerials then?

6. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Yes it is because the predictions of reception from a transmitter can be better calculated.
    With an indoor aerial there are many factors to take into account all of which reduce the signal such as -
    Walls and windows
    Objects in the room
    People moving around in the room
    Height of the aerial
    Line of sight to the transmitter

So you can see many things will reduce the signal and the use of boosters can be counter-productive and they amplify the noise as well as the signal.

As a matter of interest what is your postcode? (just the first part will do)

This is not to say that an indoor aerial will not work in your location - it might but just as likely might not. A dodgy analogue signal is often a good indicator that a decent aerial will be needed for digital reception. With digital you either receive it or you don't - no halfway measures.
    Read through this forum for other peoples experiences and (mainly) moans.

7. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
  8. gaz010

gaz010
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The reception i get with my current Indoor aerial works quite well and i get quite a good picture apart from a little shadows on some channels. I also get CH 5 too.

9. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    G44 5el

10. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    You're 27km from Black Hill and Wolfbane suggests "Amplified extra hi-gain"

So if you're going ahead with the indoor aerial (or maybe you have little choice) it's going to be a case of try it and see.
    I suppose if you by it from Argos at least you can return it (if it doesn't work)

Indoor aerial reports (for what they're worth) here
    http://www.ricability-digitaltv.org.uk/pages/test-reports/indoor-aerials/by-performance.htm

The Thomson ANT55 is shown at number 31 with a 50% rating

11. gaz010

gaz010
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK thanks i think i will get a newer indoor aerial first. Ether the Telecam TCE2000 Wideband Indoor Aerial or the Telecam TCE2001 Wideband Indoor Aerial. :rolleyes:

As mentioned on this post would you recommend the aerial without the amplifier if they are counter productive:oops:

12. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I can tell you right now that a Telecam aerial ain't gonna work if you are 27km from the transmitter. :(

If Wolfbane suggests "Amplified Extra High gain" at 10m above ground level outside (outwith) the house, then a puny 5dB Telecam, with or without an amplifier, will be no better than a piece of wet string.

13. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Look at it another way...............

The Black Hill transmitter has an ERP of 500kw on analogue but only 20kw on digital

14. fallenangle

fallenangle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've a Sony CRT with inbuilt Freeview in a bedroom (1st floor with window facing the direction of the transmitter 20+ miles away at Crystal Palace the other side of London).

I use it most for gaming but because it's too far away from my main aerial it is set up for TV using a relative cheap flat multi-directional indoor aerial + it's own mains signal booster, bought from Maplins. When it's positioned correctly (and it does often require repositioning from day to day) the PQ I get is actually very good. It actually seems less sensitive to the digital break up I get on my main TV caused by neighbours' mobiles being used near the corner of the house under my main aerial.

However it is prone to give bad signal warnings and complete loss of picture when the weather conditions aren't good. Wind can be a particular problem and I'm guessing this is because there are a number of trees in the way. But repositioning the aerial usually solves this problem too.

Anyway, from this I would say don't dismiss an indoor aerial out of hand. If you can get it up high and there's not too much in the way of the transmitter you can get a very acceptable result if you're willing to accept the occasional hassle.

15. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    It's been said all along that it can be a very hit and miss affair - a question of suck it and see:)
    I said in an earlier reply that *if* an indoor aerial *must* be used at least buy one from Argos and if it's no good simply return it for a refund - there can be no guarantees that because an aerial works in location A that it will work (even next door) in location B

16. gaz010

gaz010
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will get my box in a month or so. I am still deciding whether or not to bother with setanta or not :rolleyes: as canceling seams to be an issue with them:devil:
    I only plan to watch it when ever old firm games are being played :thumbsup:

I have purchased the Telecam TCE2001 indoor aerial from Argos and have noised significant improvements :clap: with that using it for analog.