Indoor aerial recommendation for 3 HD freeview tuners

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I need to get a new indoor aerial as my old one ones have copped out on me after serving me very well for many years, receiving full HD Freeview on each.

I live just 3 miles from my nearest transmitter (Crystal Palace) so I suspect that is one of the reason why I am one of the fortunate ones, where a good indoor aerial works well (Wolfbane apprx results also shows "set top"). Its a good thing too because I do not want an outdoor aerial installed for several reasons which would have been a no go option.

So I have been using two aerials feeding into dual freeview tuners on my HTPC. This time I want just want one aerial to feed 3 HD Freeview tuner sources (one on my TV and two on my HTPC duo tuners).

Would this suffice for me?

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/SV-9323-DVB-T-antenna-Frequency/dp/B003A6CHA2/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355604081&sr=1-24"]One for All SV 9323 DVB-T antenna;Frequency range=47: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31vWwJc42dL.@@AMEPARAM@@31vWwJc42dL[/ame]

Otherwise, what parameters should I be looking for in terms of splitting the one signal to 3 tuners. Should I have some sort of booster/amp? I know for sure I need some kind of splitter.

Any advice is welcome.

Cant you just use metal coat hangers, they work just as good as any indoor aerial. If they dont, nothing will.

I bought an Asda own brand indoor ariel, cost £5 and it gave me an excellent picture for the TV in my back room, but it does not work for the TV in the front room.

Worth trying that, least with Asda you can take it back.

At 3 miles from Crystal palace you should have no problems using a set top aerial. I am 13 miles from CP and use one of these in my kitchen, and that doesn't have line of sight as the signal has to pass through my living room to get to the aerial.
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001ACV7E0/ref=asc_df_B001ACV7E011053150?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B001ACV7E0"]SLX Gold digiTop Amplified High Performance Indoor: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dKDAYGykL.@@AMEPARAM@@41dKDAYGykL[/ame]

Mark.

Thanks guys, I know coat hangers would probably do the job but my main query is what parameters do I need to look for to ensure I get enough signal power to split it to 3 HD Freeview tuners?

No one can say as there are too many variables... Why no external or loft aerial? As that may be a simpler answer.

TBH all you can do is try one and see.. On a sale or return basis!

A passive 4 way splitter will lose 12dB or supply 1/8th of the signal collected by the aerial (3way versions if available will be the same). Amplified aerials may overload internally if the signal is very strong, rendering them useless. A passive aerial may or may not collect enough to split passively or it may need a low-gain distribution amplifier.

No one can say as there are too many variables... Why no external or loft aerial? As that may be a simpler answer.

TBH all you can do is try one and see.. On a sale or return basis!

A passive 4 way splitter will lose 12dB or supply 1/8th of the signal collected by the aerial (3way versions if available will be the same). Amplified aerials may overload internally if the signal is very strong, rendering them useless. A passive aerial may or may not collect enough to split passively or it may need a low-gain distribution amplifier.

Er 4 way splitters quote 7.4 dB loss, say 8 in practice.
3 way splitters quote 5.6 dB loss, lets say 6,
and 2 way splitters quote 3.7 dB, call it 4.

Ok thank you all again for your posts. As per my first post, outdoor aerial is a no go for several reasons. I do not need to to state those reasons but if people are curious, very well. 1. I have no loft. 2. I do not trust aerial instal engineers. 3. I do not like the idea of depending on exeternal services for when things go wrong, such as aerial blow out of position by strong winds, etc, I prefer to be in control as much as I can. 4. set-top aerials give me great reception, so last resort, if I cannot feed 3-4 tuners with one aerial, I will simply buy 3 of them...of course it will be neater to have just one aerial hence this thread.

Regards to the splitter, yes I know there is a loss, I have a splitter, and hence why I ask what parameters in an aerial do I look out for. I see different parameters thrown around with aerial specs, gain, amplification, wideband etc. So what factors are more important? My splitter is also an amplifier (requires its own mains power feed), would that compensate for the signal loss?

Last edited:
Er 4 way splitters quote 7.4 dB loss, say 8 in practice.
3 way splitters quote 5.6 dB loss, lets say 6,
and 2 way splitters quote 3.7 dB, call it 4.
:facepalm: senior moment :eek:

OP it's unusual for a passive aerial to fail... (amplified versions a different matter). BUT it's even more unusual for two to fail simultaneously of either type.

Are you sure the aerials have gone faulty and that nothing else has changed? {Building works, scaffolding, foil-backed insulation, metallised-glass double glazing, recently installed between you and CP??}

Whatever, if you buy another room aerial avoid any that have amplifiers built in as it's very very bad practice to cascade two aerial amplifiers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom