1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indiana Jones Trilogy on BBC

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Kevo, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Anybody delibratley not going to watch these and wait (and wait!) for the DVD release.

I believe Raiders is due out this year but not sure about the rest.

Also, does anybody know what ratio they were filmed in?

If it's 2.35:1, then I hope the BBC don't crop it to 16:9 :mad:
    They probably will, i've yet to see a 2.35:1 in all it's glory on BBC.

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,943
    watched them all last week on Irish TV.

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    They were all shot 2.35:1. More than likely they'll be shown panned and scanned.

I did see that Virgin had them all for £4.99 each in their sale as widescreen vhs tapes. Bit of a step backwards but it's probably better than seeing them on TV. I've had the Raiders tape for a while and the surround track on it was suprisingly active.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I won't be watching them. Bought them on laserdisc last year. If they come out on DVD, I may be tempted, but I'm 50/50 on that.

I'd be more worried about the editing than the aspect ratio. Knowing how other films have been butchered, I wouldn't be surprised to see many a good action scene chopped.

5. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If they do hit DVD I'd only get them if they have DD/DTS. My LDs are PAL pro-logic. It would have be a remix rather than just saying DD though

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Panned & Scanned?

I would of thought that the BBC would show them in WS on DTV.

As for cuts, I do remember them cutting Indy saying s**t on the rope bridge. A small but none the less annoying cut.

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Graham

I'm sure they would be re-mixed in 5.1.
    Although very unlikely, would you buy them if they were non-anamorphic and in 5.1?

8. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably not.

I'm not immediatly rushing out and replacing my LDs with DVDs as soon as they are available. Only if they're worth it.

I paid £30+ per laser and want a justifiable reason to change from that. 'er in doors will only moan :(

I've got several LDs that are just as good as the current DVD (albeit with reduced picture quality).

e.g. the current Bladerunner and Robocop disks don't match criterian/spec eds on LD so I'm not bothering.

Same goes for discs that I watch infrequently and picked up for a few pounds on LD with a DD soundtrack (I never did a DTS upgrade on my LD player)

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Just curious, but are some of the more recent LDs ever in anamorphic?

10. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know - it wasn't something I looked at when buying my LDs, cos I "only" had a 32" telly back then.

I think the last full price disk I bought was Titanic and I don't seem to remember it saying anything on the sleeve.

11. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They will most likely be in widescreen but still cropped from the correct aspect ratio.

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,129
    They'll be 16x9 panned and scanned instaed of 4x3.
    I for one will be taping them to svhs via an RGB to svideo convertor.
    I suspect the 16x9 nature and the good quality real svideo path will outpace the overall picture quality off laserdisc. This will do me until the dvds come out.

Of course there are some down points: sound will be prologic at best might even be plain old stereo. The 16x9 picture whilst giving you much better res than 4x3 letterbox is a crop albeit better than a 4x3 one. They will most likely show cut versions of all three films.

I suspect they will show the trilogy then round it off with repeats of the young indiana jones chronicles series which whilst a bit patchy had its moments and is possibly the most expensive television series ever seen!

13. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I thought Band of Brothers now has this title at a cost of around $120 million. How much did Young Indy cost?

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,129
    Don't be so literal: my point was that some of the episodes of young indy must have been hugely expensive : remember the one with them hunting a german/turkish railmounted gun around northern Africa ? Must have cost an arm and a leg : very lavish for a TV series.

15. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Mr D.

Can you help with my RGB to S-Video dilemna?

'RGB to S-Video Converter, Where to Connect It?'
    in the Digital TV section of this forum.

Thanks

16. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46

Nah i don't remember it, to be honest I thought the series was pretty lame, and should never have been made as they add nothing to the film trilogy.

17. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,129
    they got better but there were a couple of rubbery ones I grant you

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,222
    Great I thought the BBC decide to show all three Indiana Jones film on consecutive weeks and in WS on digital, albeit 16:9 rather than 2.35:1, but regretful the Raiders copy looks as though its been dug up in the desert too. Not only is was it grainy in some scenes a vertical scratch could be seen 1/3 in from the left hand side.
    What are the BBC playing at!

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

19. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,129
    yep its a pretty dismal transfer : zilch detail in the blacks. Sound I think is only stereo. I'm not sure whether its the odd mpeg2 artifact I'm seeing but I think its transcoded from NTSC : odd jitter here and there: opening titles looked a bit suspect in this regard.

Looked fairly sharp though so I think its real 16x9 for whatever thats worth.

Hope to nelly the dvds don't originate from a similar master.

20. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,222
    Sounded to be in surround to me.
    You are right about the detail in the black, or lack of it, when four of the enemy came in the room, they was back lit you could se not one jot of anything but black blobs in their faces.

21. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,129
    kids are asleep I couldn't have it up loud and only watched it for 5 mins so it might be surround . There was an awful lot of stuff coming out my centre speaker though.

22. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Sounded okay to me. Not as good as the sound from my LD copy.
    The picture was horrid. I had to put the LD on after it, just to make sure it didn't look that bad. Funny enough, it didn't :)

23. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Does anyone know why it looked so bad ? I watched it through sky digital, and although it was a foggy night which could have caused pixel issues not the grain, colour and general poor quality seen last night. Very dissapointed

24. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,222
    Hi Common

Clear night here. It could the digital version being sharper just show the faults more (the graininess). I compared both terrestrial and digital and both had that vertical scratch so they must have come of the same copy.
    I have seen programs on getting or not getting pirate videos, and the exerts they showed were nearly as bad.
    In all the BBC should be ashamed of themselves, maybe somebody’s laser disc would have been better, or maybe there pickup head wanted a cleaning!

25. dhmsport

dhmsport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit of an Indy fan so I'm a bit biased but re: Young Indy, I thought theyu added to the history of the character well. I saw some when originally shown on BBC a few years back but I picked up all that were released (10 of 22) in re-released edited for film versions in 2000. (Paramount decided to can the release as sales were not as expected, probably something to do with no advertising, and not keeping to the promised schedule) Some of them are excellent viewing, the supergun one previously mentioned, Daredevils of the Desert (with Cathrine Zeta Jones).

Possibly the best seller and the next one due to be released before they decided to stop distribution was Mystery of the Blues (which I thankfully still have from the BBC showing). This is very significant as it has Harrison Ford's 4th and last appearence as Indy in a 10 min opening sequence set in the mid 50's.

Oh and if anyone is interested, Indy 4 will be made (According to Harrison) They are awaiting the final version of M. Night Shamylan (6th Sense, Unbreakable) script and for Lucas to finnish his current project!:)

26. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    As I didn't (couldn't !) watch it all, did the BBC put up an apolgy at all, like they normally do if there is a problem with the transmission?

Does anybody know where I can complain to the BBC?
    E-Mail or Tel No.
    I can't seem to find anything on their web page.

27. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll lend them my VHS copies............... !!

28. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    My widescreen vhs tapes look better than what they showed last night, and I don't recall them having nasty scratches either.

29. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I've just rang the BBC and they put me through to one of their chief engineers.

And get this....

I quote (his name with held as requested)

"The BBC were well aware BEFORE transmission that the tape of the film for Digital TV was UNFIT for broadcast. It has too much grain, dropouts and cross-talk etc etc (tech jargon) "

He was reading from a 'daily log' of known techical faults and he was shocked that it was broadcast. Normally programmes are pulled if they get reports like this.

He also said that there were two different versions, one for analog (P&S) and one for DTV (Digital WS Transfer), whic is the norm.

He was most helpful and we drifted on to other digital TV subjects.

He reckons analog will probably NEVER get switched off as there are just too many sets out there and the quality is FAR SUPERIOR to digital.

"Digital pic quality will get a lot worse as more channels come on-line before it gets any better, and it will never equal that of DVD or analog".

He totally agreed and sympathised with me that the pic quality on DTV can be very varied and sometimes sub-standard.

Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound

"This is likely in the future if there is sufficient demand as it seems to be gaining popularity on Sky+ and with Hi-Fi consumer products at the moment.
    But it will be technically impossible to do it terrestrialy, only via cable or Satellite"

2.35:1 Cropping to 16:9

"We (BBC) feel there would be a severe backlash if borders remained in 16:9 transmissions as people feel they have bought a WS TV to eliminate the 'same' borders on a 4:3 TV.
    We have to cater for the majority and are not a 'Home Cinema' provider so as to show a film in all it's glory like the theatre or DVD".

I must stress that his tone was sympathetic and he was extremely helpful and very kean to talk in detail.

30. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,222
    Hi Kevo

If the was two different versions why did the have the same faults, namely the graininess and the vertical scratch. If the was copied of the same source this must have been at fault! surely at this point the fault should have been spotter and a different better source been obtained.
    Nice to get an honest answer from someone, even tough it does not correct anything, at least you was not fobbed off.
    I hope next weeks will be of better quality and not cut i.e. the heart scene.
    By the way how come films are edited, yet a play can have far worse violence, swearing, and sex in it shown in the same time slot an other night?