1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indiana Jones on DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Lex, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There is an interesting article in this months (March 2003) Empire Magazine about the problems surrounding the release of the Indy films on DVD...

They quote Spielberg (talking about the release of the trilogy on DVD) as saying "We're aiming for next fall (2003). [However, there is a problem] George Lucas and I are having an argument with Paramount... [They] want to come out with all three movies in one package. [We] want one film at a time, then come out with all three, maybe even the fourth one, in one package later."

Apparently Paramounts concern is that in their opinion there is not enough of a demand for the second two films (Temple of Doom especially) and thus sales figures would be higher if they release them as part of a box-set ala The Godfather.

The article also goes on to talk about the difficulties they are facing in getting together all the 'special features', especially the commentary tracks which niether Spielberg nor Ford like doing! :(

What a mess - Paramount, George, Steve... :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

2. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    I think that Paramount's concern is unfounded.
    Ok, Temple of Doom and Last Crusade may not
    be as good as Raiders but they are still very
    enjoyable films all the same.
    I do though hope that Paramount wins the battle
    with Speilberg and Lucas and release a trilogy
    box set if only for the fact that it should cost us
    less than three stand alone dvd's.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then they should just forget about the commentary tracks and just release the damn things. I'm sure no-one would refuse to buy these on DVD just because they didn't contain commentary tracks. Especially not after we've been waiting for ages for even a sniff :rolleyes:

Release, release :clap:

4. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Don't care how, just so long as they are!

Mind you, if they were released individually I'd only buy 1 & 3, so Paramount have got a point....

5. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoever wins this argument, It is probable these films will be released in the run up to Indy 4, which is supposed to be out in 2005 I think.
    If released individually, there will probably be short gaps in between, with the first 3 then coming out in a box set about 4 months before all 4 come out in another box set. Or have I got George Lucas all wrong?

6. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    This does, surprisingly, sound like Paramount are for once coming out as the price reasonable bunch, that is assuming it's not mucho $. I was peeved in a way at certain 2 disc only option for films of late in that those not really bothered by extras get forced into springing for them. I, for example, have not touched the second disc on several releases due to not wanting to tear the magic apart. It's ironic how many directors ramble on about the mystery of the majestic prize that are movies then try so hard to break the spell:rolleyes:
    The notion of single disc releases, then sets and then even more sets from Spielberg is contradictory to his own alleged ethic of giving the viewer a fair deal - someting he has falling fowl of anyway:mad: :rolleyes: Lucas always has been a money grabbing t*** pot. Perhaps Spielberg's been hanging out with Jabba the Sith too much.:thumbsdow

7. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Exactly, Lucas and Spielberg want to milk it as Lucas normally does with Star Wars. Give us all 3 movies, with all the extras and let that be and end to it. Give us value for money for once.:mad:

8. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +993
    I only want Raiders. I'm not going to spend my hard-earned on 2 films I don't want so a box would be no good to me personally.

I can't actually think of anything more boring than a commentary by Harrison Ford. The guy is seriously lacking in charisma off-screen and he's not exactly brimming over with it on-screen either. I'm sure George would be more than happy to do the commentary on his own, it's not like he's ever invited any of the actors in on his Star Wars coms anyway.

I think they should do them as singles or a box and you make your choice same as with the Alien Legacy box.

9. Foley Artist

Foley Artist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been a long time coming. Not fussed whether they´re released as a Box Set or in singles, just get them out!!:clap:

10. Felix Ferrigamo

Felix Ferrigamo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If they were right and no-one bought the other films, it wouldn't cost them much anyway.

11. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    i want box set, i like all of them, couldnt give a monkeys bottom about comentary, just use the room for a decent audio track and vid bit rate
    a trailer for the new movie on one of the discs would be nice

12. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant wait for the Young Indy DVD boxset - hopefully in 5.1:)

13. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I don't understand the logic of this. If you only want one or two of the films then how does being forced to buy all three give you value for money? I think the Lucas/Spielberg approach of actually letting people buy what they want is better than saying 'You can have Raiders but you've got to take a copy of Temple off our hands at full price too'.
    This just sounds like a knee-jerk cynical reaction.

14. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I want all the movies, so a boxset would be perfect. I'm totally against the endless re-releases associated with Lucas' titles and see his actions as among the most cynical in the industry. The Matrix and Lord of the Rings also win no prizes in my "doing it for the kids" poll either.

Even if they give you the titles one at a time, the boxset will have the same films only with a different cut or extra features later on. Guaranteed.

15. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Personally I'd only want the first one.

16. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Me too.
    I only wanted Godfather Pt I & II and I resented having to pay for the third.
    I'm not interested in Alien 3 & 4, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to buy the first two separately.

I'm one of those funny people that resents having to pay for an extra 30 channels of rubbish from Sky when I only want 2 or 3 that aren't in the basic package. I mean it's not like they don't advertise!

If they're released separately and then in a box at a later date then what is there to complain about? If people are thick enough to stump up twice then that's their lookout, especially if it's for the 'must have' (yeah, right!) extras that they didn't get the first time around. In the past when there have been dodgy versions of films that I really wanted, and I was convinced they would be superseded later on then I've held off buying them (Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Usual Suspects, Fargo). It's not that hard not to get ripped-off.

If Paramount think they can palm-off one film for the price of three (and a lot of people will only want one, or maybe two) then I hope they get burned.

17. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Am I the only one who prefers the second one?
    Of everyone I 've spoke to about the Indy films, nobody seems to like the second one much.

Same goes for BTTF. Everyone seems to prefer the third one, whereas again I prefer the second one!

18. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I do, just dont like the third one. Ill be buying 1+2 seperatly or all three as a package, I dont care just release them. Imagine ROTLA £14.99 TTOD £14.99 Boxset £30 At the end of the day I dont think it will make much difference.

The prices were just quess work by the way.:smashin:

19. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Face facts people.

However 'the Mount'/Lucas/whoever release it, someone, somewhere, is going to find something to whinge about.