Indiana Jones finally here, release date announced!

Hmmm. I wonder if the UK release will still be cut (Temple of Doom)

but dvdfile may be wrong about the DTS.
Look at what they had to say about the release
at the DigitalBits.....

Okay, here's the official press release. The announcement is mostly as we expected. One set, four discs. Street date 11/4. The set will be available in anamorphic widescreen and full frame versions. Retail will be roughly $49.99. The films will be mastered to THX standards, and will boast Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks. Extras will be in the 3 hour range, all on Disc Four, including a documentary, featurettes and interviews. No audio commentary. No DTS. Indiana Jones.com has a look at the packaging and a trailer. And there's another story on this at Yahoo. Here's a quote:

"The fourth disc explores every facet of how the films were made -- from stunts to visual effects to the music and sound," said Jim Ward, vp of marketing at Lucasfilm. "We take viewers around the world to explore the history behind the 'Indiana Jones' legends."

Honestly... we can't help but feel a little underwhelmed. Lucasfilm's made us wait so damn long for these films on DVD (along with another infamous trilogy), that the discs REALLY need to deliver big time. So the whole "less is more" approach seems a little puzzling. EACH of these films should have been given 2-disc treatment in our opinion. And, to us at least, the lack of commentary and DTS is immediately disappointing. Here at The Bits, we were hoping for something a little more special... something that was worth the 6+ years of waiting. The bar is so much higher these days for DVD special editions. So tell us, again, why this box couldn't have been released a few years ago, back when we might still have been impressed with a trio of bare-bones, movie-only discs and 3 hours of featurettes?

Anyway, we'll wait to see what surprises, if any, the set has in store. But even after this long-awaited announcement, aliens and Hobbits still hold far more interest for us on DVD in 2003...

They have a point, I suppose.

then again, the extras won't get watched that often, and a whole disc's got room for 4 or 5 hours worth of guff so it might not be too shabby regarding bonus features. Not fussed about the lack of dts myself, I'm more bothered about having to buy 2 films I don't want just to get the one that I do.

fired up the old laserdisc player and watched raiders again yesterday,classic film,can't wait for the dvds to arrive now!

Really can't wait for these now.......

indybox.jpg

Looking good :)

No big deal for me whether it has DTS or not. I'm still buying them :clap:

Originally posted by Squirrel God
No big deal for me whether it has DTS or not. I'm still buying them :clap:

Yep, so am I, can't wait. Pity about no DTS though
(waits for comment from Ian J :D :rolleyes: :p )

I'm still buying them :clap:

R1 or R2??

that's what I'm thnking about atm
was Indi ever cut in the UK for video and/or cinema?

Not sure about region. Whichever is cheapest I guess (assuming no cuts).

I do really doubt that a DTS soundtrack will be any better than DD in this case, since it is an old soundtrack remixed.

well according to the BBFC temple of doom was cut by 1m2s (that's a lot)
The only way of this being uncut is paramount resubmitting and the BBFC waiving all cuts (can't get higher cert.)
there's something else as well:

the R1 comes with rrp of 50$
but the UK is set to be £43:eek:
For it to be fair the UK should be more like £33
uncut R1 then (ahw ith french writing I guess:D)

It's not unknown for a film to be resubmitted and all previous cuts to be waived, but there's no way of telling here until the final hour.

Even if it's cut by 1 second, I won't buy it - even if it's £10 cheaper than the R1 (I'm fussy like that).

Here's hoping CD-WOW get it in cheap for peace of mind. I don't fancy ordering this huge thing from stateside.

It's not unknown for a film to be resubmitted and all previous cuts to be waived, but there's no way of telling here until the final hour.

Even if it's cut by 1 second, I won't buy it - even if it's £10 cheaper than the R1 (I'm fussy like that).

Well the question is: can paramount be really bothered to resubmit? as that costs money and joe sixpack won't care anyway.

As for buying cut films:
I just bought the Once upon a time in china trilogy for 18quid. the third film is cut by 4 sec. but buying all films seperately would be lot more expensive plus the alternative R1 has worse picture and sound quality.

Life as a collector ain't easy

Well its a pity theres no DTS i was looking forward to a DTS track. If they re-submitted them they might be able to get an uncut 12 at a push since the bbfc like Speilberg.

:clap: Excellent! Thanks Rich! :clap:
DTS dosen't bother me, just glad to have it!

Regarding TOD:
The UK versions have lost some of the gorier moments to get a PG certificate. These include cuts to the hand in the chest scene, and of the victim in flames shortly after that. The BBFC refused to restore these scenes for a later boxed set release because Spielberg had not given his personal permission. It thus remains as a cut PG in all releases.
-from IMDB

Worst excuse I've ever heard! Unfortunatly even though TOD is an uncut 12 in Ireland (as far as I know) we suffer the same cuts as the UK because Paramount is unwilling to issue a seperate DVD's for both countries :(

Originally posted by Lux
Well the question is: can paramount be really bothered to resubmit? as that costs money and joe sixpack won't care anyway.

With the R1 retailing at $50 and the R2 retailing at £43, maybe they're going to fund the resubmition with the extra money they'll make on the more expensive R2 version...

I doubt it though :rolleyes:

Iain.

Originally posted by Marv
Well its a pity theres no DTS i was looking forward to a DTS track.
I see you don't have the R2 or R4 Back To The Future boxset. You should read the comparison between DD and DTS on this release at www.michaeldvd.com - I suspect Indiana Jones would be the same if they did release it with DTS.

The second trilogy of the big 3 is coming... horay! by the time we get starwars we'll all have blue ray players and be wondering when it's gonna be out in high definition!

Dare i mention Jaws remixed soundtrack ? the DTS is miles better than the dolby version and i suspect same would be true of the Indiana Jones films, i gotta say i'm totally underwhelmed by wot is on offer and i expected single 2 disc releases to be available, why do i have this funny feeling in the pit of my stomach that we're gonna be buying these boxsets then the year after the single double disc sets arrive with DTS and more extras am i cynical ?

Originally posted by Lux

As I understand it, the film has to be resubmitted if it's being released in a different format or medium - if that's the case the DVD release would require resubmission.
As long as what I'm getting is uncut I'll go with the cheapest

I read today (may have been on dvdfile or dvdreview.com) that the specs aren't even finalised on the films or the extras yet. Being a Lucasfilm release I'd doubt dts will pop up at all, even though it's Spielbergs prefered audio format.

Originally posted by Garrett
good job I looked before starting a new thread.
Sadly, no one else will have the same exemplary attitude from now until November :(

Yes, a 4th one is in the pipeline mate :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom