Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Not my favourite Indiana but will certainly take a look at 4K. I am up and down with 4K at the moment, seem to buy the discs then sell them as finding online easier but some films I like to "keep" and not rely on streaming.

This would be one of those films

3rd best of the lot - Raiders, Last Crusade, Temple and then that abomination I shall not name.

Still a very good movie, and I absolutely love the opening scene in Club Obi Wan.

I absolutely love the opening scene in Club Obi Wan.
Was about to say the same! That scene pulls me in every time. Looking forward to seeing this DV/DA version at some point

It is so underrated this one, and definitely doesn't get the love it deserves.

Of course it's not as good as Raiders or Crusade, but it's still a really good ride.

And yes I'm another who loves that opening sequence. Right up until he closes the plane door.

Thanks for the review but from my point of view 8 is a bit harsh. For me, this sits alongside Crusade in equal second but I appreciate the consensus sees Temple in a distant 3rd place.

Thrilled to see the transfer is equally as good as Raiders and can’t wait for the set to arrive.

Temple is my favourite film of the series

Regardless of the darker tone and criticism received for it over the years this one still holds a special childhood place in that my parents sprung a surprise visit to the cinema on me... I wasn't even aware it had been released and hadn't quite got over the excitement of seeing Raiders not that long before this was released.

May have been made up of unused set pieces from Raider but still a prequel from Lucasfilm that didn't feel like a hollow imitation of what went before, probably the first and last time that happened.

Come on Zavvi, you've taken my cash for the overpriced and kinda underwhelming steelbooks and yet no dispatched notification yet - better not wind up like the LOTR set I'm still waiting on 7 months after placing the order...

Kali ma! Man this brings back memories

I won’t try to make an argument that this is the best of the three (and there are only three Indiana Jones movies in my reality), but it’s my favourite too.

The Indian stereotypes are shockingly bad. The banquet sequence being the chief culprit.

My issue with the film is that we don't know the power of the stones if the last one is found. It's never explained. And there is no suspense in finding the last one.

leaving this undoubtedly the absolute best Temple of Doom will ever look

I think this line has been used on every media release.
VHS
DVD
Blu-Ray

Has always been my favourite. Cas is having a mare this week.

Unpopular opinion but as an adult I actually prefer Temple of Doom to the other two. I think its because of its far darker tone and Capshaw is easily the best out of the 'Indy' girls.

Thanks for the review 👍 More for the kids this one but entertaining enough. I saw it when I was 10 in the cinema and adored it. Looking forward to hearing and seeing it in this upgrade

Thanks for the review 👍 More for the kids this one but entertaining enough. I saw it when I was 10 in the cinema and adored it. Looking forward to hearing and seeing it in this upgrade

I don’t see Temple as being more of a kids film, quite the opposite. It does have lots of kids in it, if that is what you meant. 😁

I don’t see Temple as being more of a kids film, quite the opposite. It does have lots of kids in it, if that is what you meant. 😁

hi , nope 🤣🤣

Cool review. Though only an 8 :eek::D:p

Not sure which is 2nd best tbh. As said in another thread, when these are considered as a triliogy, it’s one of the best ever. No weak links (films).

Be a while before I watch them but already looking forward to a back to back to back triple bill.

@Casimir Harlow what do the tunnel scenes look like with the model/miniature work? They stand out like a sore thumb on BR but it never bothers me. More pronounced on the 4K?

I can not wait to get my hands on this, the Best Indy movie by far for me personally. As with Jaws I've owned the Three Indy movies on almost every format. I'm camping at the back of my front door already. :D

I saw Temple of Doom when it opened on my 11th birthday, and was blown away by the opening shot as Kate Capshaw interacted with the title-card rather than just being plonked on top of everything. To this day, it really defines they way a blockbuster movie should should really dazzle its audience from the outset. I had seen an uncensored bootleg of it the week before, but the big screen experience just had me hooked!

1622911557686.png

As is often the case with sequels, it's fun to spend time with the cast again but the story is a mess. I respect directors who have a hit but know that there's no story left and end it there. Doesn't happen often, but it should.

Raiders is an easy 10 for me. Like the original Back to the Future is essentially perfect.

Temple of Doom is at best a 6, even with Amrish Puri stealing the show and having a great time. Capshaw is also very annoying and a huge, huge step back from Marion in Raiders. Reasonable then, rather like Back to the Future 2, although at least not as terrible as Matrix 2.

Last Crusade feels like Raiders but played for laughs. It's fun and Connery is good, but Marcus and Sallah are turned into over the top comic relief and are completely wasted. It gets a 7.5 from me.

I heard a rumour that there was a fourth one too, but I've seen no evidence it exists. Or maybe I just erased it from my memory.

As is often the case with sequels, it's fun to spend time with the cast again but the story is a mess. I respect directors who have a hit but know that there's no story left and end it there. Doesn't happen often, but it should.

Raiders is an easy 10 for me. Like the original Back to the Future is essentially perfect.

Temple of Doom is at best a 6, even with Amrish Puri stealing the show and having a great time. Capshaw is also very annoying and a huge, huge step back from Marion in Raiders. Reasonable then, rather like Back to the Future 2, although at least not as terrible as Matrix 2.

Last Crusade feels like Raiders but played for laughs. It's fun and Connery is good, but Marcus and Sallah are turned into over the top comic relief and are completely wasted. It gets a 7.5 from me.

I heard a rumour that there was a fourth one too, but I've seen no evidence it exists. Or maybe I just erased it from my memory.

you’ve just slated 2 of the greatest sequels ever. I’d hate to read what you do like 😭

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom